God of War Ragnarök | New Trailer - State of Play | PS4, PS5

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The trailer was great! They got a lot of new biomes in the game (i.e. water, jungle, etc..).

As far advances in rendering, I see none. The game's lighting system looks the same (which still uses GI light probes). PBR shaders are the same but there's really nothing there to be improved. I would have hoped for some RT but that doesn't seem to be in. Textures look great but they looked good in the GoW PC version too. A lot of the cutscene footage obviously will look better than the gameplay so can't really compare cutscene vs. gameplay.

Overall though, I love the game and can't wait to play it!

You just can't concede. Let's wait for November then.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Looks like they are paying attention to the anti forced diversity movement, no Afro-Norse girl in the Ad unlike being much of the focus last time.

However jungles!?! That doesn’t fit for me. There must be more to it!??

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Looks like they are paying attention to the anti forced diversity movement, no Afro-Norse girl in the Ad unlike being much of the focus last time.
There is a sequence in the trailer where Kratos is carrying her on his shoulders, so she wasn't entirely excluded.

But I think it's just to not reveal too much about her role in the story. You're probably reading too much into it.

Reactions: Hobbygaming

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
There is a sequence in the trailer where Kratos is carrying her on his shoulders, so she wasn't entirely excluded.

But I think it's just to not reveal too much about her role in the story. You're probably reading too much into it.
Maybe, but there is some serious upheaval at the moment around these topics, unlike ever seen before.

But if there are jungle locations indicating southern climate, there should be grounded real world diversity. Unlike in the most northern of Europe mythology wise.

Last edited:

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
My jaw while watching the trailer
2826ceb9b0e9c69bc799fb07a5c8b2a7.gif

D

Deleted member 13

Well that's blatantly untrue. You can even see the lighting upgrades throughout development, let alone compared to 2018

It's not blatantly false at all.

There are only 2 ways of doing lighting in games:

1) Pre-baked GI light probes with one single light source casting a shadow and an ambient light for sky

2) Full RT lighting with RT shadows and RT environment with RT ambient occlusion.

None of #2 is in that game from what I can see.

I also have no idea what went into making that GIF on the twitter page. It looks like someone Photoshopped a clip to exaggerate the effect. GoW 2018 was never that dark.

If they did some RT lighting, then we'll know it for sure when the reviews come out by DF and NxGamer.

D

Deleted member 13

You just can't concede. Let's wait for November then.
I don't understand what you are looking for me to say. If a game has "better lighting" then there must be an objective description of what was improved in the game. To say, it just "looks better" doesn't cut it for me. I have to know what exactly the team added to make it look better. For Horizon:FW, they had a hero light rig behind the character that made the character pop. The problem with that implementation was that it made the lighting look inconsistent from the environment to the character. They also mentioned that they made more GI light probes for the ambient lighting, making the GI have a better approximation compared to their last implementation. That also made sense because the PS5 could hold more light probes in memory than the PS4.

These are the kinds of explanations I can engage discussion when talking about graphics. I can't just argue something looks better without knowing what went into it to make it look better (or worse).

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't understand what you are looking for me to say. If a game has "better lighting" then there must be an objective description of what was improved in the game. To say, it just "looks better" doesn't cut it for me. I have to know what exactly the team added to make it look better. For Horizon:FW, they had a hero light rig behind the character that made the character pop. The problem with that implementation was that it made the lighting look inconsistent from the environment to the character. They also mentioned that they made more GI light probes for the ambient lighting, making the GI have a better approximation compared to their last implementation. That also made sense because the PS5 could hold more light probes in memory than the PS4.

These are the kinds of explanations I can engage discussion when talking about graphics. I can't just argue something looks better without knowing what went into it to make it look better (or worse).

Why does it matter what they did to make it look better if it objectively looks better? We can nerd out the details once we have a better understanding, but the facts are it looks better.

I also have no idea what went into making that GIF on the twitter page. It looks like someone Photoshopped a clip to exaggerate the effect. GoW 2018 was never that dark.

GOW has looked that dark before, sometimes even flat, especially in interior environments and some exterior sections (when you go find Mimir, for example)

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
As for the trailer, this is a line that I found is simply amazing when considering Kratos' story

Death can have me, when it has earned me.

Let the theories begin.

D

Deleted member 13

Why does it matter what they did to make it look better if it objectively looks better?
Because you can't define something as objectively looking better without receipts to back it up. If subjectively looks better then noone can really argue at that point because it's based on preference.

We can nerd out the details once we have a better understanding, but the facts are it looks better.
OK. I can accept you thinking it looks better just because. Just don't go around saying it has Nanite-like features or Lumen lighting - because then we go into the objective argument at that time and receipts would be required. ;)

GOW has looked that dark before, sometimes even flat, especially in interior environments and some exterior sections (when you go find Mimir, for example)
PC version of GoW has never looked like that when I was playing it or I would have complained about it. I finished the game too. If you know of a particular section that you want me to visit to see, I'll be more than happy to do that.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
It's not blatantly false at all.

There are only 2 ways of doing lighting in games:

1) Pre-baked GI light probes with one single light source casting a shadow and an ambient light for sky

2) Full RT lighting with RT shadows and RT environment with RT ambient occlusion.

None of #2 is in that game from what I can see.

If they did some RT lighting, then we'll know it for sure when the reviews come out by DF and NxGamer.
It's not two binary options you can improve lighting just improving on techniques from 1 or a combination of both. By your logic the lighting from The Last of Us 1 wasn't improved to the Last of Us 2 because it didn't move to full RT lighting

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru
D

Deleted member 13

It's not two binary options you can improve lighting just improving on techniques from 1 or a combination of both. By your logic the lighting from The Last of Us 1 wasn't improved to the Last of Us 2 because it didn't move to full RT lighting
Sure. But the improving techniques won't make a massive difference though unless the first technique was so far off the mark. For example, having a grid of 1k by 1k of GI light probes and then moving to 2k by 2k probes will make indirect lighting more accurate but it won't be a night/day difference from the older 1k solution.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Because you can't define something as objectively looking better without receipts to back it up. If subjectively looks better then noone can really argue at that point because it's based on preference.

1969-Ferrari-Dino-206-GT-by-Scaglietti_0-1.jpg

2a6ae38e-a841-43b8-b216-d19bd404c6fe_Fiat-Multipla-min.jpg

The Dino Ferrari looks objectively better than the Fiat Multipla. I want you to argue otherwise. Go.

PC version of GoW has never looked like that when I was playing it or I would have complained about it. I finished the game too. If you know of a particular section that you want me to visit to see, I'll be more than happy to do that.

Dude you played it at 900p on a portable machine. You shared pictures of your screen as proof of something. Are you really trying to argue this?
And I provided you with an example.

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 13
D

Deleted member 13

Dude you played it at 900p on a portable machine. You shared pictures of your screen as proof of something.
LOL! Man, I can play that game on my PC @4k/60FPS. I was just showing you that the lighting with self-shadowing on the uniform looked just like the shots from the trailer for the new one.

Are you really trying to argue this?
And I provided you with an example.
Nah man. You got it. Big generational upgrade from 2018 to 2022. (y)

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Have watched that trailer way too many times. As usual, the platform warriors already pushing hard for Elden Ring for GOTY. This years version of Cyberpunk, and before it Red Dead Redemption 2, and before it GTA etc, etc... obviously Elden Ring being a fill in for the chosen one, "Starfield" :ROFLMAO:

Every time there is a Sony banger from the big 3 the platform warriors from the "left out" brands get to work - they know what's coming, and they can't stand it and bare it, it eats them inside out. That is, to miss the biggest game of the year on their platform of choice.

Elden Ring obviously has no chance for those with acquired taste. The combat in GOW 2018 is already superior and this will be improved iteratively across the board in Ragnarok as clearly seen in that trailer. Technically speaking it's no contest either (graphics, scene complexity, combat complexity, scripting, detail). Not to mention Ragnarok will be out of its league when it comes to story telling, voice acting, character arcs, pace/flow etc etc. Make no mistake you'll see idiots try to debate this with their hearts out.

Elden Ring is literally the fast food entry version of Souls games, surpassed by Bloodborne and the original Demon Souls, even without the iterative refinements present in Elden Ring.

The war never fails to disappoint nonetheless.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People are like blown away by a 3 minute trailer, which only covers the first small section of the game, imagine how people are gonna feel playing through the entire thing?

Its not only that the trailer was put together good its that the game is gonna be an actual monumental moment in gaming history which makes it easier to put together an impressive trailer for it.

• fire

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
1969-Ferrari-Dino-206-GT-by-Scaglietti_0-1.jpg

2a6ae38e-a841-43b8-b216-d19bd404c6fe_Fiat-Multipla-min.jpg

The Dino Ferrari looks objectively better than the Fiat Multipla. I want you to argue otherwise. Go.
Aside from all the other stuff going on in this thread I thought I would try my hand at your challenge.

If you're a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, the Fiat probably has a strange but indescribable allure.

D

Deleted member 13

Have watched that trailer way too many times. As usual, the platform warriors already pushing hard for Elden Ring for GOTY. This years version of Cyberpunk, and before it Red Dead Redemption 2, and before it GTA etc, etc... obviously Elden Ring being a fill in for the chosen one, "Starfield" :ROFLMAO:

Every time there is a Sony banger from the big 3 the platform warriors from the "left out" brands get to work - they know what's coming, and they can't stand it and bare it, it eats them inside out. That is, to miss the biggest game of the year on their platform of choice.

Elden Ring obviously has no chance for those with acquired taste. The combat in GOW 2018 is already superior and this will be improved iteratively across the board in Ragnarok as clearly seen in that trailer. Technically speaking it's no contest either (graphics, scene complexity, combat complexity, scripting, detail). Not to mention Ragnarok will be out of its league when it comes to story telling, voice acting, character arcs, pace/flow etc etc. Make no mistake you'll see idiots try to debate this with their hearts out.

Elden Ring is literally the fast food entry version of Souls games, surpassed by Bloodborne and the original Demon Souls, even without the iterative refinements present in Elden Ring.

The war never fails to disappoint nonetheless.
I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Elden Ring is GOTY. Period. The amount of complexity with varying characters, equipment, bosses, strategy, etc.. is unrivaled. GoW is a small scale single-player game that will have invisible walls around the world and a hub by which to teleport to sections of the game. IOW, it's much smaller in scale.

Yes, GoW will destroy ER in graphics/story telling/acting, etc... No argument there. But GOTY usually ignores those things and focuses on the main element in a game - gameplay - which ER does in spades.