God of War Ragnarök | New Trailer - State of Play | PS4, PS5

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Elden Ring is GOTY. Period. The amount of complexity with varying characters, equipment, bosses, strategy, etc.. is unrivaled. GoW is a small scale single-player game that will have invisible walls around the world and a hub by which to teleport to sections of the game. IOW, it's much smaller in scale.

Yes, GoW will destroy ER in graphics/story telling/acting, etc... No argument there. But GOTY usually ignores those things and focuses on the main element in a game - gameplay - which ER does in spades.

Lol, Elden Ring plays like jank from 3 generations ago. OG GOW plays better than that trash.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Aside from all the other stuff going on in this thread I thought I would try my hand at your challenge.

If you're a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, the Fiat probably has a strange but indescribable allure.

That doesn't prove it looks better. Just that it looks like a turtle.

Hehe

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I played a bit of Elden Ring and liked it, although I like Bloodborne much more.
I love GoW 2018 as well.

The combat in each game is engaging in different ways.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Hobbygaming

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
I wish they saved the sky splitting for the game, that felt like such a "moment" that would've surprised people. Otherwise, amazing trailer and day 1 for me!

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think the story, production levels, music, accessibility, and a few other factors are gonna highly favor GoWR in the end.

If people had the wind taken out of them by that fairly small piece of the game in the trailer imagine how they will react to the big set pieces and ending?

I think theres too big of value placed on big storytelling moments for GOTY awards for GOWR to not be a major factor.

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
I think the story, production levels, music, accessibility, and a few other factors are gonna highly favor GoWR in the end.

If people had the wind taken out of them by that fairly small piece of the game in the trailer imagine how they will react to the big set pieces and ending?

I think theres too big of value placed on big storytelling moments for GOTY awards for GOWR to not be a major factor.
This and devs from Santa Monica keep saying that we haven't seen anything yet. All of them keep alluding to an epic game

I can see it getting Goty, especially with how close it's releasing to the awards show

Reactions: Remember_Spinal
D

Deleted member 13

Regardless of what game ends up being the 2022 overall game of the year, im fully expecting mine to be God of War Ragnarok. 😂
One of the best posts in years from a Sony fan.

tom cruise bow GIF

P

peter42O

One of the best posts in years from a Sony fan.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Except he's not a Sony fan.

Not true. PS4 is my #1 all time gaming console. It's just that I switched to Series X as my primary gaming console for the current generation. I have switched primary consoles three generations in a row and make no mistake, I can easily switch right back when the 10th generation between Microsoft and Sony start.

I am a Sony and PlayStation fan. I'm just not a fanboy or extremist. I do love majority of Sony's first party exclusives. Last generation, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone were my #2-#5 best games of the generation and were my game of the year for their respective release year. Only The Witcher III: Wild Hunt surpassed them.

Just because I prefer Microsoft's direction and the Series X doesn't mean that it will stay this way forever. The main difference between me and vast majority of Xbox and PlayStation fanboys/extremists is that im neither and will always do what I believe to be best for me personally, not either company. So please don't get it confused. :)

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Well that's blatantly untrue. You can even see the lighting upgrades throughout development, let alone compared to 2018
I don't think he made a formal assessment of how the game is technically.

It does in some ways feel like a shaper and smoother ps4 game. Horizon fw had this as well.

The "problem" is that Sony fans (which I am) are not like Xbox fans that take any cross gen game and tout it as true "next gen" like they did for Forza Horizon 5 and Halo I.

GoW 2022 is still one of the best looking games out there 🏆.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

I think GoWR will be more polished in all areas than Elden Ring. In addition to the stuff you mentioned I'd add narrative, writing, acting, combat, visuals, tech or performance to name a few will be better on GoWR. Plus a game like GoW has a wider appeal than souls games when looking at sales, so logic would say GoWR would get the goty.

But I think there are 5 points that may keep GoWR out of the GOTY 2022 race, no matter how good GoWR is:
  • Being released on November, unlike ER many people will not have time to play it and maybe some GOTY awards don't even cover games released in November (I think all GOTY awards should cover game released from Jan 1 to Dec 31)
  • GoWR is an exclusive and ER multi, meaning more people can play ER
  • GoWR is an exclusive and ER multi, meaning the fanboys of Xbox, Nintendo or PC will vote ER
  • ER is a new IP that brought open world to the Souls games, which makes it feel fresh and innovative, while even if awesome GoWR is the second half of a story, a very direct sequel meaning won't change too much compared to the previous one, which some people will see as 'too continuist' as reason or excuse (this could be applied to basically any sequel)
  • Many people are now posers who say they love souls games even if some of them never played any souls game

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I mostly agree with you on everything but these points…

• Being released on November, unlike ER many people will not have time to play it and maybe some GOTY awards don't even cover games released in November (I think all GOTY awards should cover game released from Jan 1 to Dec 31)
The recency bias actually does GoWR more favors. The people that matter, (those who vote on GOTY) will have it fresh in their heads by the time its ready to submit, they probably would have just finished the games just merely days before. While Elden Ring has had time to have large moments diminished and its flaws nitpicked for several months. Unless you’re on new game ++++++ the hype has most likely faded for you.
This doesn’t really matter. GoW won over Red Dead Redemption 2 which sold 45 million copies already and was rated higher than it. Both The Last of Us games won over multiplats also, including GTA 5.

• ER is a new IP that brought open world to the Souls games, which makes it feel fresh and innovative, while even if awesome GoWR is the second half of a story, a very direct sequel meaning won't change too much compared to the previous one, which some people will see as 'too continuist' as reason or excuse (this could be applied to basically any sequel)
Again, I dont think this applies considering The Last of Us 2 which is appropriately named “part 2” that couldn’t exist without part 1. If elden Ring wasn’t open world (i know thats a huge part of the game) it would honestly be Dark Souls with a jump button. We can also debate how much the open world added to the series or what it took away from it. I personally didn’t feel by the end that the open world was necessary for the series to move forward. What i really expected to change with Elden ring was having a more concise and compelling narrative due to the big GRRM marketing they were doing.

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
I think GoWR will be more polished in all areas than Elden Ring. In addition to the stuff you mentioned I'd add narrative, writing, acting, combat, visuals, tech or performance to name a few will be better on GoWR. Plus a game like GoW has a wider appeal than souls games when looking at sales, so logic would say GoWR would get the goty.

But I think there are 5 points that may keep GoWR out of the GOTY 2022 race, no matter how good GoWR is:
  • GoWR is an exclusive and ER multi, meaning the fanboys of Xbox, Nintendo or PC will vote ER
  • Many people are now posers who say they love souls games even if some of them never played any souls game
I agree with all of your points besides thinking GoW releasing in November will hurt its chances

I think recency bias is a thing. I think that even some of Elden Ring's praise has wore off. I still haven't played it but I heard that there's some redundancy after the 1st few areas?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I agree with all of your points besides thinking GoW releasing in November will hurt its chances

I think recency bias is a thing. I think that even some of Elden Ring's praise has wore off. I still haven't played it but I heard that there's some redundancy after the 1st few areas?
I never got that far 😅.

But as far as redundancy goes, it can't be worse than any Ubisoft like open world game.

• they're_right_you_know