God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 Jun 2022
The one review that stands out (not in a good way) is IGN Korea's, because the reviewer obviously has a bias towards smaller, indie, non-AAA games and that's kind of evident in their other reviews.

But the bigger problem with his review is contradiction of logic. He apparently REALLY liked GOW 2018, but somehow Ragnarok, which does everything 2018 did but bigger & better, is a disappointment? Where have I heard this argument before? Oh yeah! From some of the HFW reviewers! It didn't make a lot of sense there and it doesn't make a lot of sense here, either.

I mean, it's a sequel. They are NOT going to dramatically change the game design in-between installments that are continuing a story between the two of them. That's something you wait to do until you are on a completely new, fresh story/saga. Imagine if reviewers had this mentality wholesale when reviewing RE2 against RE1 back in the day, or even MGS2 to MGS1. MOST sequels can be boiled down to largely the same game design & game loop of the previous releases, if you want to be pedantic about it, so why only bring that to the forefront when discussing HFW or Ragnarok?

Even Elden Ring "suffers" from that; it's literally the same exact formula and game loop as the Dark Souls games when you boil things down to their essence, just now with more choice thanks to the open world format. The game being open-world is the only big difference and there is nothing inherently special to open-world game design in and of itself.

Not to mention the IGN Korea reviewer used the "it's DLC" line later in the review and also used the last part as a soapbox to voice their grievances about the AAA games industry (as if somehow GOW Ragnarok is more embodying of those issues than, say, the annual COD releases :/). Not saying the reviewer's opinions are wrong or that they aren't entitled to them. I just want reviewers to apply more consistent internal logic in why they score things the way they do, and do that for games across the board, not just selectively.

And using a single game as a soapbox to voice possibly genuine issues with AAA games, maybe just either save that for its own article or maybe just...don't review AAA games if you feel so strongly about them in such a way? Just a thought.

Happy for my Sony homies who will enjoy this game. Just not for me personally.

Also, try not to get too butthurt over bad reviews. If I were to review a game like this it would probably get a mediocre score. I like what I see with the core gameplay/combat but long story-driven segments would have me lowering a game like this's score. I've learned that I generally don't have enough patience to wade through the boring stuff, and it hampers my desire to play or re-play games. A game like Ghosts of Tsushima almost had me quitting, but I trudged through it.. but the game wouldn't get above an 85 or so from me, as I just think some "Sony-isms" are outright bad game design. My understanding is this game has even more of that walking/talking "gameplay" that I personally think is.. well, garbage.

And that's OK.. having differing viewpoints and opinions is just normal. We don't all like the same kinds of things.

There's nothing wrong with bad reviews per se, just make sure as the reviewer that you are applying internal logic that actually makes sense, and that you uphold for other games you're reviewing.

And if you're specifically adverse to a certain style of game no matter what, maybe you aren't the best fit to review it. But for me it's when those things are not adhered to when the bad reviews are questionable.

Honestly though, haven't seen that happening with Ragnarok reviews outside of IGN Korea's, hence why that's the only one I zeroed in on in the above.

Also a single 85 score is nowhere near bad, if it's genuine 😉

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022

Also, try not to get too butthurt over bad reviews. If I were to review a game like this it would probably get a mediocre score. I like what I see with the core gameplay/combat but long story-driven segments would have me lowering a game like this's score. I've learned that I generally don't have enough patience to wade through the boring stuff, and it hampers my desire to play or re-play games. A game like Ghosts of Tsushima almost had me quitting, but I trudged through it.. but the game wouldn't get above an 85 or so from me, as I just think some "Sony-isms" are outright bad game design. My understanding is this game has even more of that walking/talking "gameplay" that I personally think is.. well, garbage.

And that's OK.. having differing viewpoints and opinions is just normal. We don't all like the same kinds of things.
Enjoy No Man's Skyrim, mate.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

God damn Xbox fanboy.

Peace Out GIF by Debby Ryan

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
And if you're specifically adverse to a certain style of game no matter what, maybe you aren't the best fit to review it.

I completely reject this attitude personally.

As long as the reviewer states that they aren't into a genre/type of game, then the review can become incredibly useful to consumers whose tastes also don't necessarily align.

Reviews exist for consumers to make purchase decisions afterall.

A reviewer who doesn't like a genre, but loves a game in a genre, provides an incredibly useful review to people who also don't like that genre, and can sell copies of that game / get people to expand their horizons.

If I am buying a game outright / say it's a sequel to my favorite game.. I just don't care about reviews.. unless I see a 50% average or something, I'm buying the game.. and those reviews become useful to me.

Most of the people in this thread fit that for GoW Rag... and yet they will obsess over reviews..

It's just so odd to me.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 13
D

Deleted member 13

Really excellent reviews but I share @IntentionalPun's opinion. I don't see it being more fun for me than Elden Ring this year. I get it that many people love the Sony "cinematic" experience that's in every one of their exclusives. I'm just more of a fan of gameplay and FROM seems to be top dawg for me.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I completely reject this attitude personally.

As long as the reviewer states that they aren't into a genre/type of game, then the review can become incredibly useful to consumers whose tastes also don't necessarily align.

Reviews exist for consumers to make purchase decisions afterall.

A reviewer who doesn't like a genre, but loves a game in a genre, provides an incredibly useful review to people who also don't like that genre, and can sell copies of that game / get people to expand their horizons.

If I am buying a game outright / say it's a sequel to my favorite game.. I just don't care about reviews.. unless I see a 50% average or something, I'm buying the game.. and those reviews become useful to me.

Most of the people in this thread fit that for GoW Rag... and yet they will obsess over reviews..

It's just so odd to me.

This just seems strange, I mean, in essence, let's get a person who reviews Mills and boons romance novels to review something that they don't normally read or like, say a sci-fi book or horror book.

It doubles down even worse when Metacritic scores factor in these negative scores.

If people are not interested in the genre, then I think they should personally stay well away from it or get someone who is proficient in it.

Last edited:

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Screenshot_20221103-180802-971.png

God of War: Ragnarök is a sequel crafted with love that manages to astoundingly improve an already excellent game in every aspect. (My wonky translation)

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75 and Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Really excellent reviews but I share @IntentionalPun's opinion. I don't see it being more fun for me than Elden Ring this year. I get it that many people love the Sony "cinematic" experience that's in every one of their exclusives. I'm just more of a fan of gameplay and FROM seems to be top dawg for me.
after another week of Sekiro and its hard-arse bosses, you will be begging to play god of war.

Dark Souls Rip GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

• haha

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

You are such a wet blanket

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
This just seems strange, I mean, s, in essence, let's get a person who reviews Mills and boons romance novels to review something that they don't normally read or like, say a sci-fi book or horror book.

It doubles down even worse when Metacritic scores factor in these negative scores.

If people are not interested in the genre, then I think they should personally stay well away from it or get someone who is proficient in it.

Well reviewers should have a fairly wide appreciation for a medium in the first place.

But beyond that, they will obviously not love each genre equally... as long as they state their tastes, a review is useful.

What you are describing is a scenario where review scores are basically gamed to be higher because you've chosen only reviewers pre-determined to be more likely to enjoy a game.

That is.. strange.. and seems to be based on some weird amount of caring about how high the scores are for the things you like.

I couldn't care less about reviews once I've purchased something or decided to purchase something. That's what is strange as hell to me.

• they're_right_you_know

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
ironically God of War Ragnarok just kicked Gran Turismo 7 out of opencritics top 2022 list

Which is kinda bs since theres so many indie games on the list with less than 10 reviews. You should have to hit a certain threshold to be on it or the list just has a bunch of small pc games no ones ever heard of

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
P

peter42O

Excellent scores for what im expecting will be my 2022 game of the year!!! Let's go!!!

Reactions: Sircaw

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Glad people will be happy with it but I am not interested in this series anymore and cannot wait until this release is behind us and I get to look forward to some real next gen games

• haha
Reactions: Hezekiah

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Well reviewers should have a fairly wide appreciation for a medium in the first place.

But beyond that, they will obviously not love each genre equally... as long as they state their tastes, a review is useful.

What you are describing is a scenario where review scores are basically gamed to be higher because you've chosen only reviewers pre-determined to be more likely to enjoy a game.

That is.. strange.. and seems to be based on some weird amount of caring about how high the scores are for the things you like.

I couldn't care less about reviews once I've purchased something or decided to purchase something. That's what is strange as hell to me.
I just think if you are not well-versed in a particulate genre, you should stay clear of it.

This is not some small publication house, this is IGN.

Get someone that plays these types of games to review these types of games.

It's like me, I hate Flight simulators, to me they are the most boring games in the world if I was to review one i would probably give it a 1/10.

It's not fair on the game and it is certainly not a review that should be taken seriously.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Glad people will be happy with it but I am not interested in this series anymore and cannot wait until this release is behind us and I get to look forward to some real next gen games
Do you have a particular next-gen game you are looking forward too?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nym

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
No I can't even think of one that I know is coming tbh. But I'm way beyond ready for something fresh and not cross gen.
Maybe a spiderman 2 or a wolverine might do it for you.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
94 with 111 reviews.
Won't change.
I lose with my 96.
I am trying to find the score list predictor we did a few weeks ago, can't seem to find it.

Btw, slightly off topic, but today I was playing "Shadow of the Tomb Raider", i was skinning a Cababara, and i thought of you.

Not sure if that is a good thing or not lol.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nym
Status
Not open for further replies.