God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I really dislike how review scores have become a platform warring metric. Though it's always been kinda like that.

It's just sad because none of you chumps or these PS games can stand up to The Legend of Zelda series.

Ok I kid, I kid. But it would be nice if we could just have fun with the games we like and go from there.

Really good scores for this game though, I'm almost surely going to try it even though I didn't really finish the first one.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There's just levels to it.. for 1, whether cutscenes are skippable, and/or how long they are. Just in general how much time you are going to spend in the "cinematic" aspects of a game matters to someone like me, particularly how much you are forced to do it. Long walking / talking sections are the worst to me.

There's a couple of missions in Skyrim for instance I dread though, to your point. There's one where you accept an offer for a drink in a pub, and are transported to this other area with this joker-like character taunting you... shit bores me to tears, and I've only played it once, because my other 20 playthroughs I knew not to take that drink lol

But that type of "take you away from the core gameplay and force you to spend quite a bit of time doing something more 'cinematic' thing is few and far between compared to the hundreds of hours of content that is far less cinematic. Dialog trees are basically skippable cut-scenes in Skyrim for instance.

I greatly enjoyed Days Gone from Sony.. and it HAD those things, but I could also choose to fuck around for hours on end doing nothing cinematic at any given point as there's tons of content that doesn't revolve around boring shit like going on "dates" with your wife (zzzzzz). Some of the other forced "talking" sections you are on your bike... and I generally just enjoy mashing around on my bike in that game, even if it is on a relatively forced path.

Witcher is a good example of taking the cinematic thing too far for me... the part where suddenly you are Ciri and it's boring as shit for an hour for instance lol

I mean for me Im use to and enjoy playing games like Final Fantasy, Yakuza, MGS, and Shining Force 3 where cutscenes and dialogue can last for ages. Alot more than a walk and talking section in TLOU, Uncharted or God of War. And some might prefer one or the other but as long as the story and gameplay is good I don’t mind or rather enjoy it.

I love games like Skyrim but Days Gone I couldn’t play for more than 5 hours, the gameplay for me wasn’t on point. Witcher for me was great with the story telling, side missions, stuff like that. But yeah changing the game to Ciri and stuff like that is just unnecessary for any enjoyment lol

D

Deleted member 13

Wait wait wait. So the game does look better than the previous one, even on PS4? If only I had not said that. Damn. Shadows improved, reflections improved, textures improved... Like I had said.
No one said the game wouldn't be improved from the last-gen version. It's just not a next-gen leap like many were assuming.

D

Deleted member 13

I really dislike how review scores have become a platform warring metric. Though it's always been kinda like that.
That's the dick-measuring contest that so many hardcore console warriors have. It is apparant on both sides of the isle.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
That's the dick-measuring contest that so many hardcore console warriors have. It is apparant on both sides of the isle.
Everyone does it. I've done it. But I think I was a teenager at the time. :p

Like I've said over and over. Everyone has their biases. Everyone has their favorites. Mine was, and still is, Nintendo stuff. But I like PS, Xbox, PC, whatever.

It's about the software for me. Not the hardware. The hardware is a means to an end of enjoying the software.

I am still hoping this board can kinda get to "that space" where everyone understands this and we can converge on the fact we all like games of one type or another. And then also understand that because someone else has tastes or preferences that don't align with mine, it doesn't mean that other person is wrong, or stupid.

I know we're not there yet. I feel like we can still get there though. This board would truly be something if we did.

And I think I've just reached my pontificating quota for the day.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Man Of Steel Omg GIF by HBO Max
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

• haha
Reactions: AniWeeb

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
As long as the reviewer states that they aren't into a genre/type of game, then the review can become incredibly useful to consumers whose tastes also don't necessarily align.

Reviews exist for consumers to make purchase decisions afterall.

A reviewer who doesn't like a genre, but loves a game in a genre, provides an incredibly useful review to people who also don't like that genre, and can sell copies of that game / get people to expand their horizons.

I vehemently disagree. This is the same with cinema, music, etc. You won't have a guy that mostly listens to Blues review a Metal album. It doesn't make sense. Someone that appreciates the style will be able to find way more that they like / dislike when compared to someone that listens to blues. Additionally, someone that doesn't enjoy what they are playing because it's not their style will inherently score it unfairly. Case in point - Have someone that only plays platform games and dislikes Souls games and they will probably review Elden Ring very negatively.

There's a level of objectivity required when reviewing something.

Reactions: IntentionalPun

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Thought it comes out on the 9th, Wednesday.

Shit, you're right. But I'll still have to wait, my gf will be out friday and saturday and I won't be picking up the game only to put it down and wait. She wants to follow the story.

• party
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Horizon, GT7, TLOU Remake and GOW. What a year for Sony. They also have a minority stake in FROM so Elden Ring is kind of theirs too 😉
I mean for me Im use to and enjoy playing games like Final Fantasy, Yakuza, MGS, and Shining Force 3 where cutscenes and dialogue can last for ages. Alot more than a walk and talking section in TLOU, Uncharted or God of War. And some might prefer one or the other but as long as the story and gameplay is good I don’t mind or rather enjoy it.

I love games like Skyrim but Days Gone I couldn’t play for more than 5 hours, the gameplay for me wasn’t on point. Witcher for me was great with the story telling, side missions, stuff like that. But yeah changing the game to Ciri and stuff like that is just unnecessary for any enjoyment lol
Yakuza and MGS have ten times more dialogue than Sony's games and they never get the "cinematic" complaints. The series was on GP and I didn't see them complain about all non-stop boring cutscenes.

I dropped Yakuza so many times because it was too much for me.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Horizon, GT7, TLOU Remake and GOW. What a year for Sony. They also have a minority stake in FROM so Elden Ring is kind of theirs too 😉

Yakuza and MGS have ten times more dialogue than Sony's games and they never get the "cinematic" complaints. The series was on GP and I didn't see them complain about all non-stop boring cutscenes.

I dropped Yakuza so many times because it was too much for me.
The Witcher 3 had too much dialogue for me and I dropped it because of that, well also the combat I couldn't stand. Just agreeing with your point. Most Sony games don't have so much dialogue and jabbering.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The Witcher 3 had too much dialogue for me and I dropped it because of that, well also the combat I couldn't stand. Just agreeing with your point. Most Sony games don't have so much dialogue and jabbering.

Yeah the combat was awful for me and why Ive left most of it for PS5 version. But the dialogue and RPG stuff I love. Everyone has different tastes I guess

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
To all the people that bought it, hope you have a great night playing it, looking forward to what people think about their experiences with the game.

Also

DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL, Hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.