God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Incredible scores, probably deserves higher but I have to play it...so can't say that definitively.

But I just have that gut feeling.

The issue is that may sites review on a 5 star scale and missing 1 star brings it down to 80/100 and even a handful of those will pull the average down from the upper 90's quite quickly.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Incredible scores, probably deserves higher but I have to play it...so can't say that definitively.

But I just have that gut feeling.

The issue is that may sites review on a 5 star scale and missing 1 star brings it down to 80/100 and even a handful of those will pull the average down from the upper 90's quite quickly.
The only question left is this or Eldin Ring for Game of the year.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Actually yeah Wolverine I am interested in, is that next gen only?
I believe so, Ps5 exclusive only,

I also think the Calisto Protocol is also next-gen only.

• party
Reactions: Nym

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Really excellent reviews but I share @IntentionalPun's opinion. I don't see it being more fun for me than Elden Ring this year. I get it that many people love the Sony "cinematic" experience that's in every one of their exclusives. I'm just more of a fan of gameplay and FROM seems to be top dawg for me.

I think the “cinematic” experience has always been there with most story games. From FF1 on the Nes, FF7 PS1, to God of War on PS2, Vampire Bloodlines etc. Its just different ways and times.
It looks better, more things can be done with it etc. Witcher, Tomb Raider, MGS, Gears and Skyrim also have Cutscenes or long NPC conversations. So I dont really see it as a Sony thing.

Theres gonna be plenty of Gameplay in God of War, more so than a TLOU or Uncharted if your worried about it like that. This looks like a game with great combat, add in some puzzles and boss fights, yum.
Obviously it’s not your thing then thats cool. I like TRPG’s, Action games, open worlds with good combat, JRPG’s, WRPG’s etc but not the biggest fan of other genres.

Elden Ring and Fromsoft games are rare in the amount of cutscenes they have or the way the story is told for a single player game. But I actually love it the way Miyazaki does it.

For the people complaining about the length, its not like WRPG or JRPG’s have great pacing or don’t overstay there welcome. But for people like me, I love to be in these “worlds” for awhile like Witcher, Skyrim, FF7, JRPG’s, TLOU etc but God of War actually has great combat lol. So I welcome bigger worlds as long as the story and gameplay doesn’t suck ( which compared to most WRPG’s or JRPG’s is not worse )

And fun, totally personal. I can’t play Elden Ring or GOWR until december, but both for me are gonna be awesome. I love Miyazaki games, Bloodborne and Dark Souls are top 10 for me. But God of War 2018 was my game of the year too. So Im gonna have loads of fun haha

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Heterosexual of War standing tall again. 2022 is Sony's year and people are just gonna have to deal with it.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
D

Deleted member 13

Cant imagine sticking my nose up at a game that looks as good as god of war because of some arbitrary cross-gen label. A good game is a good game
That's what I've been saying like forever. This goes back to that weird notion that developers need to isolate lower end platforms in order to push visuals to that next level for next-gen systems. All you need is dials/switches on the more powerful hardware (for example, PC versions of multiplatform games).

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
24 Jun 2022
I completely reject this attitude personally.

As long as the reviewer states that they aren't into a genre/type of game, then the review can become incredibly useful to consumers whose tastes also don't necessarily align.

Reviews exist for consumers to make purchase decisions afterall.

Actually, I kind of agree with that, but I wanted to specify that it's the aggregate who should stipulate a balance of such perspectives towards the weighed average. And, that weight/balance should depend on the actual goals of the game. If it wants to mainly cater to the pre-existing fanbase for example, you don't need 90% of the reviews coming from non-fans who don't even care for that genre of game, because most of those reviews are going to be out-of-sync with what most of the intended customer base are looking for.

So again, I do agree with you on this in a way, the issue depends on how the aggregate balances out their reviews. Though, I still do think regardless if a reviewer isn't into a genre or game type, they need to keep their internal logic consistent, and try meeting the game halfway and judge it on its own terms. And JUST the game; don't turn it into a soapbox to criticize an entire slice of the gaming market.

A reviewer who doesn't like a genre, but loves a game in a genre, provides an incredibly useful review to people who also don't like that genre, and can sell copies of that game / get people to expand their horizons.

I can agree with that.

If I am buying a game outright / say it's a sequel to my favorite game.. I just don't care about reviews.. unless I see a 50% average or something, I'm buying the game.. and those reviews become useful to me.

Most of the people in this thread fit that for GoW Rag... and yet they will obsess over reviews..

It's just so odd to me.

I think part of the issue is that reviewers who weigh into score aggregates have shown some times even over the course of this year that they are very hypocritical or hold very strict standards for certain types of games that they do not apply towards other similar games. This is nothing against the game, but the Elden Ring reviews still highlight this problem very well.

That game, at launch, had certain technical issues that were objectively worst than HFW, yet while those technical issues were weighed heavily into the HFW reviews, they were treated as an aside in almost all of the Elden Ring ones. Reviews for HFW that dinged the game design as being "more of the same", a lot of Elden Ring reviews failed to demonstrate how that game was anything substantially new for the Souls formula outside of now being open-world. Games like Sifu were criticized for being too difficult, but an entry in a series of games known for their difficulty, is simultaneously being praised for being a "real challenge".

A lot of Elden Ring reviews had reviewers with poor internal logic consistency. Either that, or the websites they were reviewing for lacked it, and aggregates like MetaCritic don't really implement a balancing weight of reviews in line with the conditional market satisfaction/growth goals of game releases, though part of this is down to the publishers not communicating what those are in a clear fashion, or working with aggregates to communicate to them what those should be for a particular release.

Which is why I still think publishers, review sites, and aggregates like MC should establish a much better, cohesive system. If a game is appealing to hardcore fans of a specific IP, the review websites should get reviewers who are already fans of the IP to review it, and MC should stipulate that, say, 70% of the aggregated reviews come from such perspectives. It doesn't mean you can't have negative reviews or reviews from non-fans of the IP or genre, but there should be a hardline way to manage their weight to the average, so that they don't weigh more than they should for that particular game and its intent in terms of satisfying its existing market or growing that market.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
That's what I've been saying like forever. This goes back to that weird notion that developers need to isolate lower end platforms in order to push visuals to that next level for next-gen systems. All you need is dials/switches on the more powerful hardware (for example, PC versions of multiplatform games).
I watched IGN comparisons and you can clearly see that it was shackled by PS4, it is highly visible.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I think the “cinematic” experience has always been there with most story games. From FF1 on the Nes, FF7 PS1, to God of War on PS2, Vampire Bloodlines etc. Its just different ways and times.
It looks better, more things can be done with it etc. Witcher, Tomb Raider, MGS, Gears and Skyrim also have Cutscenes or long NPC conversations. So I dont really see it as a Sony thing.

There's just levels to it.. for 1, whether cutscenes are skippable, and/or how long they are. Just in general how much time you are going to spend in the "cinematic" aspects of a game matters to someone like me, particularly how much you are forced to do it. Long walking / talking sections are the worst to me.

There's a couple of missions in Skyrim for instance I dread though, to your point. There's one where you accept an offer for a drink in a pub, and are transported to this other area with this joker-like character taunting you... shit bores me to tears, and I've only played it once, because my other 20 playthroughs I knew not to take that drink lol

But that type of "take you away from the core gameplay and force you to spend quite a bit of time doing something more 'cinematic' thing is few and far between compared to the hundreds of hours of content that is far less cinematic. Dialog trees are basically skippable cut-scenes in Skyrim for instance.

I greatly enjoyed Days Gone from Sony.. and it HAD those things, but I could also choose to fuck around for hours on end doing nothing cinematic at any given point as there's tons of content that doesn't revolve around boring shit like going on "dates" with your wife (zzzzzz). Some of the other forced "talking" sections you are on your bike... and I generally just enjoy mashing around on my bike in that game, even if it is on a relatively forced path.

Witcher is a good example of taking the cinematic thing too far for me... the part where suddenly you are Ciri and it's boring as shit for an hour for instance lol

Reactions: Kokoloko

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wait, are you telling me that having to account for lower end hardware impacts the overall experience? No way. Impossible. Industry veterans guaranteed it wouldn't happen.

• haha
Reactions: Hezekiah

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wait wait wait. So the game does look better than the previous one, even on PS4? If only I had not said that. Damn. Shadows improved, reflections improved, textures improved... Like I had said.

Status
Not open for further replies.