GSD European (September 2023) - PS5#1 (+175%) / EA Sports FC24#1

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Very concerning for MK, good news for EA Sports (not paying danegold to FIFA surely makes up for the slight decline) and I am actively happy that 2K sales declined, they've really overmonetized it, like 8 years ago their sports games were a breath of fresh air over EA's, now they're actively worse.

Other mots:
Congrats to Titanfall 2 and RDR2, didn't think either would stand the test of time but herevwe are.
And turds: Xbox console sales numbers, it had a big launch this month, should have been up, not down. Also of note, I turned down a free month trial of Gamepass today, I value it significantly less than I do the ability to not have a Best Buy account.
Switch/Nintendo generally, obviously its a big month for new titles but none of their old warhorses are up there. No more blood in this stone, its time for Switch 2.

Reactions: Box

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
This dummy is always trying to downplay PS5s performance while propping up the tiniest of Xbox W's...... Another cog in Phil's machine

Daniel Ahmad likes to crack jokes. However, I remember past tweets of his where it came across like he was supporting the Chinese Communist government. I mean his job is covering the game industry in China but some of those past tweets felt sus to me. Lol.

Reactions: Box

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Daniel Ahmad likes to crack jokes. However, I remember past tweets of his where it came across like he was supporting the Chinese Communist government. I mean his job is covering the game industry in China but some of those past tweets felt sus to me. Lol.
He is Chinese, no?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Hardware
  1. PS5 : +175%
  2. X/S : -35%
DRYkg36.jpg

Seems the Bethesda acquisition to make Starfield exclusive and day one on GP is helping MS to achieve a monopoly in gaming.

Now seriously: I'd say that most of whoever was interested to get Starfield on Xbox already bought the console before or didn't buy one to play it on launch month. And the exclusivity and having it on GP didn't help to move consoles. This Goodbye Volcano High is a way better system seller than Starfield and Jim Ryan was a genious using it to counter Starfield because nobody else saw it coming. xD

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Seems the Bethesda acquisition to make Starfield exclusive and day one on GP is helping MS to achieve a monopoly in gaming.

Now seriously: I'd say that most of whoever was interested to get Starfield on Xbox already bought the console before or didn't buy one to play it on launch month. And the exclusivity and having it on GP didn't help to move consoles. This Goodbye Volcano High is a way better system seller than Starfield and Jim Ryan was a genious using it to counter Starfield because nobody else saw it coming. xD
The reason why MS isn’t creating a monopoly in gaming is because it is incompetent. We all know it.
I’m glad it’ll destroy CoD, though. Good riddance.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The reason why MS isn’t creating a monopoly in gaming is because it is incompetent. We all know it.
I’m glad it’ll destroy CoD, though. Good riddance.
Well, I'd say they have a couple of competitors who clearly outperform them in many areas consistently year after year, and not being able to acquire hardware market share by themselves they try to get gaming software market share via big acquisitions.

But the thing is that in the software gaming market the market is super fragmented into a gazillion companies, to the point that acquiring the biggest 3rd party publisher in console doesn't even give them 10% of that market.

Counting all things gaming together, people ahead them like Tencent and Sony have under 20% of the total gaming market share. Meaning I'd say it's impossible to have a gaming monopoly even if they keep burning dozens of billions. The market is too big and diverse.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The obvious problem for Xbox and Microsoft gaming is, the world outside North America has soundly refused their gaming ecosystem.

That severely limits growth and makes it an insular and niche product, that only resonates with certain people, mostly in USA and Canada.

Buying entire publishers to force people onto that platform, just cut the sales and potential of the games.

Why are Microsoft making console hardware that they only lose money on?

Publish games everywhere and put Gamepass on everything they can. Job done.

Xbox as a console is a failed initiative.

I think the issue is, they have a vendetta against PlayStation...every move they have made recently is predicated on that.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The obvious problem for Xbox and Microsoft gaming is, the world outside North America has soundly refused their gaming ecosystem.

That severely limits growth and makes it an insular and niche product, that only resonates with certain people, mostly in USA and Canada.

Buying entire publishers to force people onto that platform, just cut the sales and potential of the games.

I think the issue is, they have a vendetta against PlayStation...every move they have made recently is predicated on that.
Thankfully Xbox is losing out here in the ol' US too. Yeah I know it's still their best territory but at least it's still in a nicely distant third.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

The reason the world refused them is because their corporate ethos just isn't compatible with succeeding in gaming.

You can't brute force your way in. You have to put out a good product, and microsoft is not good at that.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The reason the world refused them is because their corporate ethos just isn't compatible with succeeding in gaming.

You can't brute force your way in. You have to put out a good product, and microsoft is not good at that.

Microsoft are all about the brute force.

Ironic, since Bill Gates...wasn't very physically brutish.

Bill Gates Swag GIF

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

They a fish out of water, too corporate exactly but also they are a tech company not an entertainment company. They had no reason to enter gaming other than “my dad got money to burn”

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
This dummy is always trying to downplay PS5s performance while propping up the tiniest of Xbox W's...... Another cog in Phil's machine

Didn't daniel Ahmed meet up woth Phil spencer in japan or something? Wouldn't be surprised if he is a paid shill now