(Guesstimate) Sony to ship 18.5 million PS5s next fiscal year, will push PS5 total to 81.9 million

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Japanese analyst firm Toyo Securities expects Sony Interactive Entertainment to ship 18.5 million PlayStation 5 consoles throughout next fiscal year.

The total installed base for Sony's PlayStation 5 console could break 80 million+ by March 2025, analysts have predicted.

Sony Interactive Entertainment expects to ship 25 million PlayStation 5 consoles throughout Fiscal Year 2023, which is the current period that ends on March 31, 2024. This target is the largest and most ambitious hardware shipment in PlayStation history, and results from the first half of the year (Q1-Q2 FY23) show that Sony is still 16 million consoles away from this goal.

This might not be the only big shipment fusillade that Sony is planning. According to a Games Industry.biz article, Japanese analyst firm Toyo Securities believes that Sony will ship 18.5 million PlayStation 5 consoles in the next Fiscal Year 2024 timeline.

1704662131404.png
If Sony can achieve its 25 million sales target for FY23, and then another 18.5 million consoles shipped for FY24, then the PlayStation 5's total worldwide cumulative lifetime shipments would sit at 81.9 million.

These trends align with the PS4's past performance; on an aligned basis, the PlayStation 4 achieved back-to-back shipments of 20 million and 19 million across FY16 and FY17, respectively.

The forecast assumes that Sony can secure an adequate number of parts contracts without compromising proft too much--Sony wants to sell and ship all PS5 consoles at a profit and not a loss. To its credit, the Japanese electronics giant has made great strides in reducing the costs of console shipments through multiple hardware revisions, including the new PS5 Slim model that makes all units disc-less by default

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Weak if true, would be a pretty good sign that we won't have a strong line up of games or an aggressive price drop.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Weak if true, would be a pretty good sign that we won't have a strong line up of games or an aggressive price drop.

In its 4th year is fucking decent number. Compared to PS4 :

FZzIdTyXEAI0mIi.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It its 4th year is fucking decent number. Compared to PS4 :

ps4-annual-shipment-estimates-2.png
Exactly. Ppl expect for console sales to be up every year? Only thing tht could stir that are aggressive price cuts but Sony doesn't need to do tht nor want to because they want to make profit. Im curious to see if Pro launches this year, it could also stimulate sales from double dippers.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Hideki Yasuda caught spreading FUD about Sony numerous times

The Analyst that Blamed Sony for Nintendo’s Woes Has an Amazingly Funny Track Record with the Wii U

PlayStation is “in Decisive Decline” in Japan, Analyst Says Following PS5’s Underwhelming Launch

Bloomberg: Japan has been sidelined in Sony's PS5 marketing plans;
Sony's official response
Any suggestion that Sony is shifting its focus away from Japan is incorrect and doesn't reflect the company's strategy, spokeswoman Natsumi Atarashi said. She noted that the PlayStation 5 is launching first in Japan and said "our home market remains of utmost importance."

Last edited:

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Exactly. Ppl expect for console sales to be up every year? Only thing tht could stir that are aggressive price cuts but Sony doesn't need to do tht nor want to because they want to make profit. Im curious to see if Pro launches this year, it could also stimulate sales from double dippers.

I've edited the post with different screenshot

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Hideki Yasuda caught spreading FUD about Sony numerous times

The Analyst that Blamed Sony for Nintendo’s Woes Has an Amazingly Funny Track Record with the Wii U

PlayStation is “in Decisive Decline” in Japan, Analyst Says Following PS5’s Underwhelming Launch

Bloomberg: Japan has been sidelined in Sony's PS5 marketing plans;
Sony's official response

These are very old articles. Don't get it

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
So basically its going to be a down year for Playstation all around
It should be a down year going forward considering no price cut, and i dont see why they would or should cut the price. From 25 mil to 18.5 mil is a big drop to predict tho, i i am assuming it stays above 20 for 2024.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Isnt this the same dude who said the "100 million consoles isn't enough to recoup R&D" bullshit?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Anything below 20 million would be a failure on their part considering the abysmal start they had for the first 2 years. The waning demand should definitely have them concerned.

Of course these aren't official estimates but 20 million should be the bar.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
In its 4th year is fucking decent number. Compared to PS4 :

FZzIdTyXEAI0mIi.png
I can't see the PS5 selling less than the PS4 as anything but a complete failure from Sony. The PS5 should sell considerably more than the PS4 if Sony had done their job.

It would be the proof we need to know for sure that the GaaS pivot, PC port push and passive marketing were very poor strategies.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It should be a down year going forward considering no price cut, and i dont see why they would or should cut the price. From 25 mil to 18.5 mil is a big drop to predict tho, i i am assuming it stays above 20 for 2024.
They'll need a miracle to happen for them to reach that 25 million target.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Should be over 20, especially with the Pro model and so many exclusives at the start of the year.

If this is the case, I feel pc ports and the lack of console focus has really started to take effect.
They’ve satisfied the pent-up demand and will continue to sell well, but not to record levels.

People need to get real about sales.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
2024 might see an economic downturn, especially in Europe. Europe has still yet to recover from the effects of the sanctions against Russia, in particular gas. The Suez Canal being shut down at the moment doesn’t help with shipping goods to and from Europe. That’s the biggest wild card for me so far.