(Guesstimate) Sony to ship 18.5 million PS5s next fiscal year, will push PS5 total to 81.9 million

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
2024 might see an economic downturn, especially in Europe. Europe has still yet to recover from the effects of the sanctions against Russia, in particular gas. The Suez Canal being shut down at the moment doesn’t help with shipping goods to and from Europe. That’s the biggest wild card for me so far.
Interesting. Thanks for that info I was not aware of the Suez Canal shutdown.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
I can't see the PS5 selling less than the PS4 as anything but a complete failure from Sony. The PS5 should sell considerably more than the PS4 if Sony had done their job.

It would be the proof we need to know for sure that the GaaS pivot, PC port push and passive marketing were very poor strategies.

Considerably more than PS4? Huh. Even if PS5 ends few millions behind PS4 LTD it would be an a great result in the end. Another 100+ mil. console trophy.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
2024 might see an economic downturn, especially in Europe. Europe has still yet to recover from the effects of the sanctions against Russia, in particular gas

Gas is not a problem at all. Reserves are filled up to the max across EU. All thanks to LNG terminals

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Considerably more than PS4? Huh. Even if PS5 ends few millions behind PS4 LTD it would be an a great result in the end. Another 100+ mil. console trophy.

Only 7 consoles out of like 26 have ever topped 100 mil. PS5 looks like it will and it's numbers are great.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
2024 might see an economic downturn, especially in Europe. Europe has still yet to recover from the effects of the sanctions against Russia, in particular gas. The Suez Canal being shut down at the moment doesn’t help with shipping goods to and from Europe. That’s the biggest wild card for me so far.

Don't be surprised if China invades Taiwan too, Graphic card prices will skyrocket

Reactions: Dabaus

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
the only thing is GTA6 is launching and will probably be in FY24. I highly doubt ps5 only sells 18.5m with that releasing.
Remember: Official estimates are ALWAYS on the conservative side, to avoid spooking investors.

If Sony estimates 18.5, their internal numbers probably show that they could sell 20.5 million units. You give yourself that wiggle room in case of unforeseen issues cutting into sales and making you fall short.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Japanese analyst firm Toyo Securities expects Sony Interactive Entertainment to ship 18.5 million PlayStation 5 consoles throughout next fiscal year.

The total installed base for Sony's PlayStation 5 console could break 80 million+ by March 2025, analysts have predicted.

Sony Interactive Entertainment expects to ship 25 million PlayStation 5 consoles throughout Fiscal Year 2023, which is the current period that ends on March 31, 2024. This target is the largest and most ambitious hardware shipment in PlayStation history, and results from the first half of the year (Q1-Q2 FY23) show that Sony is still 16 million consoles away from this goal.

This might not be the only big shipment fusillade that Sony is planning. According to a Games Industry.biz article, Japanese analyst firm Toyo Securities believes that Sony will ship 18.5 million PlayStation 5 consoles in the next Fiscal Year 2024 timeline.

View attachment 3536
If Sony can achieve its 25 million sales target for FY23, and then another 18.5 million consoles shipped for FY24, then the PlayStation 5's total worldwide cumulative lifetime shipments would sit at 81.9 million.

These trends align with the PS4's past performance; on an aligned basis, the PlayStation 4 achieved back-to-back shipments of 20 million and 19 million across FY16 and FY17, respectively.

The forecast assumes that Sony can secure an adequate number of parts contracts without compromising proft too much--Sony wants to sell and ship all PS5 consoles at a profit and not a loss. To its credit, the Japanese electronics giant has made great strides in reducing the costs of console shipments through multiple hardware revisions, including the new PS5 Slim model that makes all units disc-less by default
I think PS5 sales will be higher than 18.5M, pretty likely above 22M. In fact, it's very likely that the current FY may be the PS5 peak year (it's the usual one for most consoles), but considering there's delayed demand maybe the next FY is the peak one, which would mean selling over 25M.

In economical crisis like the 2008 one and the covid one the gaming revenue increases because people stays more at home and replaces vacations and other outdoors entertainment with entertainement at home.

The gaming market will continue growing in 2024 as usual.

Don't be surprised if China invades Taiwan too, Graphic card prices will skyrocket
Why China would need to invade their own region? Taiwan is internationally recognized as part of China by almost 200 nations including USA. And I don't remember to see China invading any country.

If something it would be USA who would try to invade Taiwan, or organize there a coup d'etat as did in many other countries.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Not guaranteed, given the tremendous market penetration PS5 has already achieved.

GTA San Andreas didn’t move the needle much for PS2.
GTA VI is a much bigger impact and phenomena than ever was

Look at the view alone already surpass GTAV in less than a week the most viewed youtube videogame trailer in history if im correct

Last edited:

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
the only thing is GTA6 is launching and will probably be in FY24. I highly doubt ps5 only sells 18.5m with that releasing.
GTA6 will sell a lot of PS5's and if it doesn't launch until fall of 2025 then PS5 might already have a 100mill userbase by then.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Why China would need to invade their own region? Taiwan is internationally recognized as part of China by almost 200 nations including USA. And I don't remember to see China invading any country.

By all means go to Taiwan and see that, see how long you last.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I do think that the current fiscal year will mark the high point of the PS5's sales this generation.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Anything below 20 million would be a failure on their part considering the abysmal start they had for the first 2 years. The waning demand should definitely have them concerned.

Of course these aren't official estimates but 20 million should be the bar.
My standards are higher. Anything less than 35 million in that year would be a catastrophy.

• thisistheway
Reactions: KiryuRealty