Halo Infinite loses its sound design team

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The entire sound design team? So what do they do now? Outsource? Or use a team from another developer they bought?
Maybe they don't need to make more sounds for the rest of the game and don't plan to release more games in this studio at least for several years so they don't want to keep people there doing nothing for years.

Consider that sound designers basically are the ones who make the sound effects, ambient sound, mix the audio, etc. They don't even compose music tracks or handle the voice over. So pretty likely no sound designers maybe means they don't plan to add new weapon types or new biomes for stages. Or maybe they already completed the work needed for the material to be included in the following years if it exists.

But without sound designers they could do more weapons similar to the current ones, new stages of the current biomes or other ones without new sounds, include new dialogs, new game modes or musics without them.

Probably they originally planned to keep 343 working on Halo Infinite adding content during several years more, but after noticing the 'success' of turning it into a GaaS + following the 'day one in GP' strategy maybe they decided to drastically reduce the post launch content, downsize the studio at least temporally and move to the next project as soon as possible.

For future games they could hire sound designers again or outsource the sound to other internal or external studio.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Infinite was the first Halo game I ever played so I can't comment on any of the previous games. I really enjoyed the campaign missions and the bounties/outposts was fine but it was just another open world type game and I would prefer a tighter more linear experience. The mature rated direction could be pretty good and would be something different than what it currently is.
I don't know if the MCC would do the previous games justice, even though the framerates and resolutions are good. But 1, 2 and 3 are spectacular games. 1 being the best by far.

Reactions: peter42O

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The complaints people have against the game have little to do with the campaign, we all know it, but gotta keep up the lolinfinite narrative in this place I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Nah, it's just that Xbox fanatics like yourself and multiplatform gamers like myself have very different definitions of fantastic.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Nah, it's just that Xbox fanatics like yourself and multiplatform gamers like myself have very different definitions of fantastic.

You can continue to not enjoy it and I will continue to enjoy it.

Charlie Day Ok GIF

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't think the Halo Infinite team was incapable. They simply had poor management. The technical aspects of the game are adequate for an AAA game. The problem is simply Microsoft's management structure and personnel is completely unsuited for game development.
To fire people doesn't mean they were incapable or that they didn't do a good job. Pretty likely -at least partly due to management or due to things they couldn't control like market tastes shifts or corporation wise strategies- they were fired because they won't have stuff to do for them during a good amount of time.

Or that they spent too much money on the project, it didn't perform as needed so they now have to scale back the studio size to compensate. Or maybe the higher ups just told the Gaming Division to stop burning money and scale down to a more decent size.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Games don’t need sound design teams.
Sales don’t matter.
Market share doesn’t matter.
Exclusives don’t matter.
Nothing matters.
Please suscribe to gamepass

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
To fire people doesn't mean they were incapable or that they didn't do a good job. Pretty likely -at least partly due to management or due to things they couldn't control like market tastes shifts or corporation wise strategies- they were fired because they won't have stuff to do for them during a good amount of time.

Or that they spent too much money on the project, it didn't perform as needed so they now have to scale back the studio size to compensate. Or maybe the higher ups just told the Gaming Division to stop burning money and scale down to a more decent size.
The fact that they don't have anything to do for a while is a mark of bad management. It shows that they don't have the foresight to have a pipeline of products in various stages of development to account for this kind of thing. Obviously Halo isn't performing up to expectations, but those expectations were again a product of bad management.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I assume the idea is to ask the bought ones to do what some of the previously owned ones aren't capable to properly do.
So you’re implying that the activision staff can replace everyone on Xbox division? Even Phill?
I like that idea.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The fact that they don't have anything to do for a while is a mark of bad management. It shows that they don't have the foresight to have a pipeline of products in various stages of development to account for this kind of thing. Obviously Halo isn't performing up to expectations, but those expectations were again a product of bad management.
Yes, but it was only a theory. One of the many reasons of why they could have been fired. Often sound designers are freelancers who get hired only when needed, and other cases like seems to be this one they are in-house sound designers.

Regarding the in-house ones, as you mention with decent management everyone should have work to do. And if not in projects for this studio, helping other studios.

I agree that to set unrealistic or unacurate espectations is a mark of bad management, but sometimes they make sense, the management is good but some unpredictable shit happens like the covid epidemic, some new hit gets released changing player tastes or some strategy from other place of the corportation hurts them and even if they did a good job they get fucked anyways.

I mean, imagine a financial crysis due to stuff unrelated to gaming or a bit bet in other area of the corporation didn't work making them to fire thousands of people. Part of these peope would be in gaming and inside gaming even in studios who did a good job. It's possible.

Also, maybe in the gaming division they had decades of loses and want to replace people to see if they turn it into a profit. Or in the specific case of Halo, maybe they tried to make it a reference again in gaming during several games but they didn't achieve it so they decided to replace people. And maybe the sound designers did a great job but may be part of the peope fire. It sucks, but these things happen.

So you’re implying that the activision staff can replace everyone on Xbox division? Even Phill?
I like that idea.
I think they bought a lot of very talented people in the CoD, Overwatch, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Prey, Fallout, Dishonored teams etc. I think they could help improve Halo or Gears teams either sharing knowledge and tech or directly sending some of their people to join teams like 343.

Also, it would be a good idea to -at least some time later once all these teams are integrated inside MS- promote some of these folks to replace people like Aaron Greenberg and whoever is in charge of managing the MS Gaming Division studios. I mean, not the CEO (Phil) but the one setting the strategy and overviewing the management of their studios.

Regarding Phil I'd give him 5 years after the ABK acquisition gets closed to see the results of this and the previous acquisitions, since to make AAA games take time. If the ABK acquisition doesn't complete, then I'd count 5 years after the Zenimax acquisition got completed. If years after spending all these dozens of Billions there isn't a substantial improvement I'd fire him and replace him with someone capable.

I'd stop including games day one on GP and making crossgen games to focus instead on selling -not renting- games for all next gen only platforms, would cancel any plans of making any future console and would complete the Sega-like switch to become a fully multiplatform 3rd party publisher making real these Phil Spencer words of them wanting to bring their games to more people. That would highly increase their revenue not only because increasing their game sales because also would stop hurting Xbox game sales, and also would the costs of being a console maker. So would end turning their division into something profitable or at least would highly reduce their loses.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Still doesn't make it fantastic, no matter how much you shill for it.

This high amount of sodium isn't good for the health man, take a break from it every now and then 🤭

Let others enjoy a fantastic game, you go play whatever you want, 'sall good.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This high amount of sodium isn't good for the health man, take a break from it every now and then 🤭

Let others enjoy a fantastic game, you go play whatever you want, 'sall good.

What sodium? You cheerlead for any mediocre game coming from Microsoft, when you should actually be upset that they drop the ball time and again. You're a bloody joke.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
What sodium? You cheerlead for any mediocre game coming from Microsoft, when you should actually be upset that they drop the ball time and again. You're a bloody joke.

Man, something's really got you hot and bothered here for no apparent reason 😬

All I did was merely reply to a post which @'ed me with the factually correct information about Halo Infinite winning 30 Game of the Year awards.

You can just stop talking about a game you find mediocre instead of dragging it for no reason .. 🤷‍♂️

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You can continue to not enjoy it and I will continue to enjoy it.

Charlie Day Ok GIF
Seriously man, if you think the Halo Campaign was "enjoyable," I beg you to start playing some other games outside of the Xbox ecosphere. Infinite was a turd in every sense. I can't wrap my head around the idea of anyone with experience in games actually thinking that game was well done.

• they're_right_you_know

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Seriously man, if you think the Halo Campaign was "enjoyable," I beg you to start playing some other games outside of the Xbox ecosphere. Infinite was a turd in every sense. I can't wrap my head around the idea of anyone with experience in games actually thinking that game was well done.

Gamespot:
Certain story elements are on the weaker side and the amazing Grappleshot makes the rest of Chief's equipment feel a bit lacking in comparison, but these are small shortcomings in what otherwise feels like the best Halo campaign in years and an excellent evolution of what Halo can be.

IGN:
Halo Infinite's single-player campaign is exactly what this series needed. It brings out the best in Master Chief's unique and satisfying combat style while leveraging old ideas to create memorable new moments.

EGM:
Halo Infinite handles the burden of the franchise’s long history gracefully. At times, as with the campaign’s story, it can feel like developer 343 Industries is weighed down by Master Chief’s Mjolnir armor. But Infinite’s bolder design choices, like its open-world environment and Grappleshot, make it feel exciting and new.

Forbes:
Halo Infinite might be the best campaign 343 has done, but considering I didn’t love the last two, I’m not sure how much weight that carries. Halo Reach remains the gold standard for me in that department, and while I had a lot of fun here zipping around the open world.

Verge:
343 Industries has laid some really solid groundwork here and deserves a lot of credit for managing to modernize the series while focusing on what people loved most about it. At this point, though, it’s not so much a reinvention as simply a very good Halo campaign.

Eurogamer:
The key question I had about Halo Infinite's campaign after playing it for preview was whether it had the kind of spark needed to justify the shift to sort-of open-world. Why explore if there's nothing interesting to be found? Thankfully, I think that spark is in Halo Infinite

Pretty much every major outlet has positive things to say about the games campaign.

Though I completely understand that most people on this forum probably find it the worst thing ever, totally not surprising and completely expected.

The fact that both yourself and Dodkrake focus more on the MS / Xbox ecosystem as basis for your complaints instead of the game itself is telling.

Keep on keeping on, playas.

1f49a.png

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Pretty sure most the sound team must be done by now lol.
Its been out for like 2 years?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Gamespot:

IGN:

EGM:

Forbes:

Verge:

Eurogamer:

Pretty much every major outlet has positive things to say about the games campaign.

Though I completely understand that most people on this forum probably find it the worst thing ever, totally not surprising and completely expected.

The fact that both yourself and Dodkrake focus more on the MS / Xbox ecosystem as basis for your complaints instead of the game itself is telling.

Keep on keeping on, playas.

1f49a.png
Having good things to say and making it the GOTY are two different things.

This game did not deserve 1/4th the hype it got, so maybe it had a decent campaign, but it's not good enough to make a top game of the years list (well not in a good year).

A lot of the high scores even said it in their review, they gave the score on the promised content and graphics score assuming they would get an RT patch on consoles a few months post release.

You should not make excuses for xbox anymore.

D

Deleted member 417

GoTY 2021 from Publisher of the Year 2021; Microsoft, who's xbox department is led by Man of the year 2021; Phil Spencer.

If those awards aren't paid for (they are) it shows how out of touch the industry is. Nintendo swept the world away with the switch yet not a peep at any awards? cool story bro.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Man, something's really got you hot and bothered here for no apparent reason 😬

All I did was merely reply to a post which @'ed me with the factually correct information about Halo Infinite winning 30 Game of the Year awards.

You can just stop talking about a game you find mediocre instead of dragging it for no reason .. 🤷‍♂️

This is a forum, people reply to conversations. I'm neither hot nor bothered.