Head of Creative for Halo Infinite is leaving 343 to join Xbox Publishing

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
343 gonna be stuck doing battlepass cosmetics while Creative Assembly takes over Halo by making a Br spin off.

They moved Staten because this is it… 343 is pretty much done.

Infinite is pretty much cancelled. One of the biggest industry failures of all time.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Too bad Microsoft couldn't use that infinite war chest to keep its employees.

This is the big reason why Xbox hasn't been able to compete. They have more IPs, studios, developers, and money than PlayStation, but they don't know how to nurture and care for their talent.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

This is the big reason why Xbox hasn't been able to compete. They have more IPs, studios, developers, and money than PlayStation, but they don't know how to nurture and care for their talent.

At PlayStation & Nintendo:
riffraff-making-money.gif

Meanwhile at Xbox:
money-burning.gif

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
RIP Ofor3 studios. Not surprised. Hack cover band. This was all earned with incompetence and the result of a talentlesss studio.

pour-drink.gif

Phil Spencer is absolutely terrible at his job. If you ask me, everything indicates that the Series consoles are the very worst Xbox consoles to date. This is their worst generation by far. And honestly… they’re gonna get steamrolled.

Phil NEEDS to be fired. He’s a huge failure.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Microsoft in general has always had high employee churn due to the toxic management culture. It’s hard to develop anything creative when the talent doesn‘t want to stick around for long.

One of the reasons the original Halo was so hacked down from the original demo version was because more than half of the staff at Bungie quit when they were told Microsoft was buying the company!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I know everybody is mad with the changes and layoffs so take his criticism with a bit of salty even if it has some truth behind.
And of course it is about Halo Infinite but any game project that had issues with the leadership (I can even remember Cyberpunk as a recent exemple).

Last edited:

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Reactions: AniWeeb
OP
OP
John Elden Ring

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
ss_139cc855c27fe902e58ba8e7af0aad1aee6ac876.1920x1080.jpg

Former 343 Industries employees have taken to social media to criticise Microsoft following a round of layoffs.

Yesterday, 10,000 Microsoft employees lost their jobs, including staff at Bethesda Games Studios, Gears of War developer The Coalition, and Halo maker 343 Industries.

Patrick Wren, former senior multiplayer designer on Halo Infinite (and now working at Respawn on Jedi Survivor), was one such former employee who criticised the "incompetent leadership up top".

"The layoffs at 343 shouldn't have happened and Halo Infinite should be in a better state," he said on Twitter. "The reason for both of those things is incompetent leadership up top during Halo Infinite development causing massive stress on those working hard to make Halo the best it can be.

"The people I worked every day with were passionate about Halo and wanted to make something great for the fans. They helped push for a better Halo and got laid off for it.

"Devs still there are working hard on that dream. Look at Forge. Be kind to them during this awful time."

He added in another tweet: "I do want to make sure that I call out how amazing the Multiplayer Leadership team was during development."

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Oh wow, that is really putting a spotlight on them.

I mean, we all had notions and guessed that it was Microsoft / Project managers or the leadership at MSFT game studios but this confirms it.

The fact that he is working at Respawn and I have great respect for them and their talent, really makes it very solid.

24 Jun 2022
just imagine, how many legendary IPs wild vanish..?

Probably none. Let's say the worst case scenario for MS happens, and they fold Xbox (personally I don't think this is happening; I DO think they're going to reposition Xbox as a computer-centric gaming brand ala Steam Deck or Steam Machines, though. Maybe just a few years from now but internally making some early changes to lean that way harder in a couple years).

They would probably still keep some of their internal development teams and make a lot of what they have multiplatform titles. So they would just go full 3P in that case. If by some freak chance they decided to fold out of gaming altogether, they would just sell their valuable IPs. Flight Sim sold to Asobo, Gears maybe sold back to Epic, Halo & 343i sold to Certain Affinity in some package deal, Forza and Turn 10 & Playground maybe sold to another publisher like Ubisoft or Sega, etc.

The IP wouldn't just disappear.

Maybe they are transitioning the IP to a Bathesda studio, e.g Doom team

Likely and would be a good move. 343i clearly aren't equipped to handle the IP responsibly from a creative POV. I'd think Certain Affinity get put on the IP first though; maybe they and iD Software work together on a new Halo and just downscale 343i so they serve as a support studio for bulk content creation (but leave all the creative decision making with Certain Affinity and iD Software members).

343 gonna be stuck doing battlepass cosmetics while Creative Assembly takes over Halo by making a Br spin off.

They moved Staten because this is it… 343 is pretty much done.

Infinite is pretty much cancelled. One of the biggest industry failures of all time.

Yeah the 10-year plan is absolutely dead. They won't even keep the servers running until 2031 at this rate, there'll barely be anyone playing it (well, there's barely anyone playing it right now but the number would be even lower 5-6 years from now).