Helldivers 2 'Escalation of Freedom' major update released

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Regarding the level 10 difficulty, to unlock it you have to complete a full mission set (group of 3 missions that appear in the map) in Helldive difficulty even if you already did it before the update.

I did it, and after that I also completed the level 10 difficulty. As expected it's hard, even spawns multiple Impalers at the same time, but I completed my first mission there with some high level helldivers so it's doable.

New bugs are cool, specially the impaler since it's more different and new.

• Surprised
Reactions: KvallyX

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Played a couple rounds last night. Boy the impalers are a menace, soloing just got a lot riskier

Frank Jaeger

5 Feb 2024
I've been enjoying the new update, minus some of the overly exaggerated whining about the fire nerf, and I'm hoping to try out the new weapons later today.

I've made it through a super helldive with my brother against the bugs. We're going to try it against the bots, but I'm anticipating that will be harder.

Super helldive wasn't easy against the bugs, but it definitely could have been worse. I think it really depends on how mean the game decides to be on a given day.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I've been enjoying the new update, minus some of the overly exaggerated whining about the fire nerf, and I'm hoping to try out the new weapons later today.

I've made it through a super helldive with my brother against the bugs. We're going to try it against the bots, but I'm anticipating that will be harder.

Super helldive wasn't easy against the bugs, but it definitely could have been worse. I think it really depends on how mean the game decides to be on a given day.
I think at this point the game has built up a community of whiners who aren't happy about anything. Just like DRG has it's community of happy go lucky dwarves. Shame really, the game is still fun af

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think at this point the game has built up a community of whiners who aren't happy about anything. Just like DRG has it's community of happy go lucky dwarves. Shame really, the game is still fun af

Game and community would be far more enjoyable if it were less popular. It’s built up enough of a fanbase to welcome the typical dedicated live service cry babies.

Thats why HD1 ran for so long without issues.

Frank Jaeger

5 Feb 2024
Agree. I think the casual gamer that isn't (terminally) online was the majority of the player base immediately after launch and this coupled with the serendipitous nature of launch had streamers giving positive coverage. This leads to positive discourse and word of mouth.

Then time passes, the honeymoon phase ends, some players naturally move on, and Sony does the PSN account stunt. These three things combine with the fact that familiarity breeds contempt to change the conversation around helldivers in a decidedly more negative direction. Fast forward a bit and now complaining about helldivers has become the new meta.

It doesn't help that, in my stupid opinion, Arrowhead has made some pretty questionable changes to balance. I could say more, but I already feel like this post is going to be too long.

On a different note, does anyone else think that Sony walking back the PSN account linking requirement has had the unintentional outcome of "teaching" the helldivers community that whining on the internet is the best way to change the game? I understand that the PSN requirement caused a lot of negative sentiment at the time, but it's really hard for me to believe that this negativity has endured from then until today. I think that a lot of the complaints are coming from players that genuinely believe that their negative Reddit posts or youtube comments can help make some kind of impact on the game.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This update is kinda getting shit on…. Didn’t lead to much of a player return either.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I haven't tried it yet. But gamers are a fickle bunch.

Fallout’s impressions aren’t as negative as some others I’ve seen. The complaints are sorta obvious since day one… it’s missing an endgame outside unlocks.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
This update is kinda getting shit on…. Didn’t lead to much of a player return either.

They nerfed all fire damage for the fire damage warbond, rendering the new warbond useless.

I don't get what's going through their minds.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
They nerfed all fire damage for the fire damage warbond, rendering the new warbond useless.

Yeah, they seem to be a tenuous grasp of balance. More specifically, they don't seem to understand how players react to balance changes, regardless of if the change was warranted from a raw numbers perspective.
This hasn't been the first time they've caught the ire of the community for things of that nature.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

It’s funny because i think the cookout is the best weapon they’ve released in ages. The new flamethrower and pistol are useless thouh

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yeah, they seem to be a tenuous grasp of balance. More specifically, they don't seem to understand how players react to balance changes, regardless of if the change was warranted from a raw numbers perspective.
This hasn't been the first time they've caught the ire of the community for things of that nature.
I think they understand, they just fundamentally believe that making things difficult for the player is going to earn them brownie points without understanding that the game that got popular was a casual horde shooter, not a hardcore milsim. So when they try to steer the game back to what they actually want, the people who want a casual horde shooter complain. Even Pilestedt has said they want to be like Fromsoft, but this isn't a game that's going to do it, they're going to have to build that rep up over several consecutive games. I've been playing d10 and it's much more difficult but still manageable with a decent team, the problem is the casuals want to play d10 and not have it feel like you have to sweat it out all the time.

Reactions: Evilnemesis8

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I think they understand, they just fundamentally believe that making things difficult for the player is going to earn them brownie points without understanding that the game that got popular was a casual horde shooter, not a hardcore milsim. So when they try to steer the game back to what they actually want, the people who want a casual horde shooter complain. Even Pilestedt has said they want to be like Fromsoft, but this isn't a game that's going to do it, they're going to have to build that rep up over several consecutive games. I've been playing d10 and it's much more difficult but still manageable with a decent team, the problem is the casuals want to play d10 and not have it feel like you have to sweat it out all the time.

Yeah, lots of folks want to play a horde shooter and have fun with the boys. Oh well, it's their game, they can decide what kind of experience they want to craft. All I would say is that it's probably not the best strategy for min-maxing engagement/recurring spending.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Why don’t the people complaining just play easier difficulties? If you want to feel powerful play hardcore/suicide, you dont have to play the hardest levels.

Me and 3 of my regulars can finish super helldive if we really work together and it’s fun. Thats how it should be, we want a challenge. If it were any easier whats left?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Why don’t the people complaining just play easier difficulties? If you want to feel powerful play hardcore/suicide, you dont have to play the hardest levels.

Me and 3 of my regulars can finish super helldive if we really work together and it’s fun. Thats how it should be, we want a challenge. If it were any easier whats left?
Because they're entitled

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

People want a sense of progression, this is what seasons and battle passes and all that Jazz is, but they don't want to sweat for it. They want that smooth and slowly ramping up difficulty curve.

Because they're entitled

It gets worse the more and more they spend money on a game too.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Did anyone of you played the new update? It's abolutely broken. Sometimes it's funny but It can get annoying. Especially when bugs just decide to stop spawning in the middle of a wave defend mission and you have to abort the whole mission.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Did anyone of you played the new update? It's abolutely broken. Sometimes it's funny but It can get annoying. Especially when bugs just decide to stop spawning in the middle of a wave defend mission and you have to abort the whole mission.
haven't had that happen, but it did happen to me once a couple patches ago. the game has slowly gotten worse and worse with stability and weird bugs. They said they fixed the pelican fucking up during landing but I've had it happen twice so far this patch, one time it went under the platform so we couldn't get in, the other time it flipped over and we were lucky to be able to crawl in.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

nothing has broken for me other than falling through floors still