Helldivers 2 - New update available with tons of requested buffs for most weapons, nerfs for annoying enemies and fixes

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Yeah baby we're back! I even bought 2k credits just to show my support.

And these player numbers are coming before the new warbond and the Illuminate. Imagine if the Illuminate drop with the warbond this thursday.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yeah baby we're back! I even bought 2k credits just to show my support.

And these player numbers are coming before the new warbond and the Illuminate. Imagine if the Illuminate drop with the warbond this thursday.
Not happening lol. Maybe at the end of October for freedom day. Don't rush them, they're still getting their house in order

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I played many matches to test most primary, secondary and trowable weapons (low level bugs difficulty just to test weapons). I love the changes, it feels way better now. I took some notes as feedback and suggestions for future updates, everything else seems fine to me:

Primaries
  • Liberator conclussive - small buff in fire rate making it a bit closer to the other assault rifles
  • Marksman rifles - a bit extra reload time in exchange for extra damage buff and a higher zoom
  • Submachine guns - give them around 10% extra ammo
  • Slugger - increase its damage a bit
  • All three exposive primary weapons - give them some extra rounds more
Secondaries
  • Redeemer - give it an extra magazine
  • Bushwhacker - reduce reload time a bit
Tnrowables
  • Knife - give it more damage
UI
  • In "defend" planets it isn't clear which bar is for Helldivers and which part for enemies. Add icons or name.
  • Show in the map position of landed supplies pods
Others
  • Allow us to use 4 victory poses in the emote wheel (up, down, left, right) to rock them in-combat
  • Allow us to replace 3 or 4 of the color/material/textures of each weapon, buying the existing ones from other weapons or armors (to keep the artstyle) at 50 basic samples each (buying each "color" separatedly for each weapon)

I still have to test them against bots and specially top enemies. I had no issues against top bugs, so I think will be ok for me and I'm curious about the top bots. Before top difficulty level against bugs was viable/doable for me most of the times, but bots in 6/7+ for me was maybe too difficult for me, maybe now will be doable.

I also still have to test most of the stratagems (500KG, HMG, Stallwart seem great now at least against minions).

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I’d say Palword and Helldivers is the beginning of gen 3 gaas

(Let’s ignore street fighter and counterstrike predating everything however just for definitions sake)
I tend to think we're leaving gen 1 GAAS and about to enter gen 2 GAAS. It's a tough line to read as we're still close to the shift but I tend to put Helldivers 2 and Palworld in gen 1 becuase they were from relatively new studios. Helldivers 1 was made by like 10 people. I think Marathon feels like a distinct gen 2 to me.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Helldivers 2 right now it's the top 11 most played game on Steam (top 6 in paid games). New daily CCU peak: 68.4K.

Last time it was that high was in mid June.

image.png

I’d say Palword and Helldivers is the beginning of gen 3 gaas

(Let’s ignore street fighter and counterstrike predating everything however just for definitions sake)
I tend to think we're leaving gen 1 GAAS and about to enter gen 2 GAAS. It's a tough line to read as we're still close to the shift but I tend to put Helldivers 2 and Palworld in gen 1 becuase they were from relatively new studios. Helldivers 1 was made by like 10 people. I think Marathon feels like a distinct gen 2 to me.
There aren't such things as generations of GaaS. GaaS have been here for like two decades and they evolved in many ways and different directions and types, and are in a pretty mature stage. Palworld and Helldivers 2 didn't invent anything, and I assume same will happen with Marathon.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Vertigo

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
There aren't such things as generations of GaaS. GaaS have been here for like two decades and they evolved in many ways and different directions and types, and are in a pretty mature stage. Palworld and Helldivers 2 didn't invent anything, and I assume same will happen with Marathon.
I think there is.

The Model T was the first production vehicle ever made. There were obviously cars built before the Model T but it's safe to say it was a gen 1 vehicle. GAAS games are no different. Bungie has learned a ton making Destiny (their first GAAS title) as well as observing the rest of the industry. We're now moving past the generation of luck into gen 2 which is the generation of purpose.

The next 10 years will be markedly different than the last 10 years because the industry has had time to learn and is now investing the proper resources from the jump. That's a generational shift. Exciting times.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Helldivers.io says 96k CCU so 60k on PC and 30k on console. Really solid numbers for a balance patch lol

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I think there is.

The Model T was the first production vehicle ever made. There were obviously cars built before the Model T but it's safe to say it was a gen 1 vehicle. GAAS games are no different. Bungie has learned a ton making Destiny (their first GAAS title) as well as observing the rest of the industry. We're now moving past the generation of luck into gen 2 which is the generation of purpose.

The next 10 years will be markedly different than the last 10 years because the industry has had time to learn and is now investing the proper resources from the jump. That's a generational shift. Exciting times.

There definitely is. You can apply generations to them.

The key to a successful GAAS is transitioning thru generations. Fortnite, Destiny, Siege etc… have evolved thru 3. Fortnite now a platform itself and Destiny adopting similar by branching out into different genres.

2nd generation was the maturity stage for and where trend chasers jumped on; this includes anthem, avengers, fallout 76, sea of thieves etc…

Gen 3 is now. New ideas are being tried. And the first big hits are helldivers and palworld with Monster Hunter Wilds being the next big one.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
There definitely is.

The key to a successful GAAS is transitioning thru generations. Fortnite, Destiny, Siege etc… have evolved thru 3. Fortnite now a platform itself and Destiny adopting similar by branching out into different genres.
You're thinking about hardware generations. I'm talking about GAAS generations. Two very different things.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
…. It’s been exponentially growing and is the entire multiplayer and mobile market.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Helldivers.io says 96k CCU so 60k on PC and 30k on console. Really solid numbers for a balance patch lol

Very.
It shows what I've(and many others) been saying that lingering technical issues and bad balance policies have most likely lead to a steeper drop for the game regardless of the lack of big content drop. Obviously for the game to have stayed at a high number of users, it needed both. But this jump clearly means that there's people that ditched the game and are fine to come back even without big new content(of the "seasonal" kind).

It's one step in the right direction, the game probably needs to nail its next 2-3 updates, small or large.
When your game is in a negative spiral, you need quite a few moves before public sentiment really starts turning around.
Kind of like what happened with WoW during the Dragonflight expansion. Really weak launch and it took them the whole year and a half to slowly bring back people who spent years and years with a game in time for The War Within.

The best time to enact good changes and release content was back in April/May/June for Helldivers 2, but the second best time is now and moving forward.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Helldivers.io actually able to pull the in-game player data? Interesting. Probably the only game other than Destiny that makes data available. Most mmo trackers are complete bs

So we will actually be able to track the playerbase split…

You would have to look at different times of day since international peak hours and American peak is 12 about hours apart but if pc is stronger all day it would be pretty cut and dry. Consoles will likely favor north america and Europe.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Helldivers.io actually able to pull the in-game player data? Interesting.
In the in-game planet map there is a global player count, which I assume counts the players who are deployed in a mission, not the ones who are in the destroyer ships or playing offline. Is it possible that doesn't count players in solo missions. See the top left (50K right now):

image.png

When you hover a sector in the map it also says the amount of players fighting there (25.7K in this one):
image.png

In the in-game map there also a counter of the amount of players who are in each planet if you hover or select a planet.

image.png

image.png

This is the data that Helldivers.io tracks in their website:
image.png

So that in-game tracker mentions 52K players, but Steam CCU counts 43K. That only would leave 9K for PS, which doesn't fit with Arrowhead reports of the userbase being split more or less aprox half and half, and Helldivers 2 appearing in top played PS rankings.
image.png

In my case, I connected to take these screenshots but I'm in my ship still in a planet that was completed last night so you can't play there, so I'm maybe being counted as in "other planets" or maybe I'm not being counted.

Probably the only game other than Destiny that makes data available. Most mmo trackers are complete bs
Destiny doesn't share player data, its trackers, like the other MMO trackers, only track if certain players who have their app/plugin are logged, and then they make a personal estimate trying to extrapolate it to what they considers.

So we will actually be able to track the playerbase split…
I'd say we can't because apparently the tracker isn't counting all the players.

Last edited: