Helldivers 2 - New update available with tons of requested buffs for most weapons, nerfs for annoying enemies and fixes

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
incorrect about Destiny. It’s not tracker estimates. They share api data

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Yeah, it might do Astrobot numbers then.

haha.gif

You mean like a 94 Metacritic?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don't think that number is accurate. Even the one in-game doesn't seem to match with Steam. I don't know how it's counted.

In-game number no? Don’t they feature that. Steamdb updates at like 15 min intervals so it’s a good idea if such.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Fortnite is a PvP game from the largest Engine developer in the world.
How do you explain the sustained success of Roblox?

Or even how MS has not taken over the console market, and that Halo is not the biggest MP franchise? they are the biggest.

fortnite has its audience and it keeps them pleased and interested.

The Helldivers 2 team made a series of bad decisions, farmed their "community management" style to a bunch of crazy woke people, changed the game's balance and a few other things... Nothing that can't be fixed, but that will never bring back the special magic that was there in the beggining.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
How do you explain the sustained success of Roblox?
Game stays incredibly fresh due to to user created content.
Or even how MS has not taken over the console market, and that Halo is not the biggest MP franchise? they are the biggest.
MS hasn't made the right games over the last 10 - 20 years to take over the industry.
Halo lost relevance because it catered to fans too much over the years while getting passed by competitors.
The Helldivers 2 team made a series of bad decisions, farmed their "community management" style to a bunch of crazy woke people, changed the game's balance and a few other things... Nothing that can't be fixed, but that will never bring back the special magic that was there in the beggining.
I agree with you here and this is why I consider Helldivers 2 a gen 1 GAAS title. There's so many problems to solve with Helldivers 3.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I agree with you here and this is why I consider Helldivers 2 a gen 1 GAAS title. There's so many problems to solve with Helldivers 3.
If we apply "generations" to GaaS, what a "gen 2" GaaS needs to have to be different from the over two decades long "gen 1" GaaS -which includes a gazillion different GaaS types- we had until now?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
If we apply "generations" to GaaS, what a "gen 2" GaaS needs to have to be different from the over two decades long "gen 1" GaaS we had until now?
Technology, model understanding, scope etc...

Most of todays GAAS giants were "lucked" into. Many of them stumbled on their success with minimal starting budgets.

Over the last 10 years, institutional knowledge has been built to an insane degree, technology is being built for the medium, and budgets are being appropriately set for Gen 2 GAAS.

The next 10 years will see crazy growth in this space because we're understanding the medium better.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Technology, model understanding, scope etc...

Most of todays GAAS giants were "lucked" into. Many of them stumbled on their success with minimal starting budgets.

Over the last 10 years, institutional knowledge has been built to an insane degree, technology is being built for the medium, and budgets are being appropriately set for Gen 2 GAAS.

The next 10 years will see crazy growth in this space because we're understanding the medium better.
Now I remember I started to work in GaaS 16/17 years ago.

Like in any successful company, we were using as reference several similar super successful projects that were released before us (in this case other GaaS). Back then there several super successful MMORPGs -mostly in PC-, casual web browser F2P, and I think we started with mobile F2P not sure if a couple years or so later.

Since then there has been small innovations here and there in this or that game. I'd say the most important ones have been GaaS -and as part of it F2P- getting popular on console after happening first in PC and later in mobile. The second would be the evolution of MP modes or "a few DLCs" to MP focused games with seasons and season passes in AAA and later its evolution to battle pass or equivalents. The third would be the loot boxes / gatcha. The fourth, which is happening right now but still only a few games so still isn't important but I think might end being the most important one of all, is to turn the games platform agnostic (having PC+mobile+console versions) as happens in Fortnite or Mihoyo.

As we also do in non-GaaS games, we kept evolving tweaking our games depending on what it did or didnt work, in our games or in somewhat similar ones, and also considering player feedback and suggestions but not relying on them. Little by little, update by update, game by game.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Now I remember I started to work in GaaS 16/17 years ago.

Like in any successful company, we were using as reference several similar super successful projects that were released before us (in this case other GaaS). Back then there several super successful MMORPGs -mostly in PC-, casual web browser F2P, and I think we started with mobile F2P not sure if a couple years or so later.
There's a difference between a small number of PC centric companies working on early GAAS and literally 96% of studios working on GAAS today.

The Model T was not the first automobile, but it did represent the gen 1 of cars.
Since then there has been small innovations here and there in this or that game. I'd say the most important ones have been GaaS -and as part of it F2P- getting popular on console after happening first in PC and later in mobile. The second would be the evolution of MP modes or "a few DLCs" to MP focused games with seasons and season passes in AAA and later its evolution to battle pass or equivalents. The third would be the loot boxes / gatcha. The fourth, which is happening right now but still only a few games so still isn't important but I think might end being the most important one of all, is to turn the games platform agnostic (having PC+mobile+console versions) as happens in Fortnite or Mihoyo.
The biggest innovation in GAAS is simply the recognition and measurement of engagement. People like to suggest multiplayer of old was early GAAS but it was not. The majority of early multiplayer worked on the pay up front model. That meant 0 resources were used on keeping players engaged but rather getting their money up front. Gen 1 GAAS kind of slipped on engagement. Gen 2 GAAS will be the result of intense study of engagement.

Brenden Greene understands what the next generation of GAAS looks like...

As we also do in non-GaaS games, we kept evolving tweaking our games depending on what it did or didnt work, in our games or in somewhat similar ones, and also considering player feedback and suggestions but not relying on them. Little by little, update by update, game by game.
I think the purpose of non-GAAS is really scaffolding for the next phase of videogames. Its purpose was to find genres and sand genre rough edges down until the genre is ready to go GAAS.