Helldivers 2 passed Destiny 2 all time CCU count. Top Seller all around on Steam |UP|Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 to Reclaim #1 spot on Steam.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
F2P games will never die, they're a proven business model at this point.

Chances that all of them become moderate to big hits are very slim.
Concord is also a PvP MP shooter, a particular subset of shooters that is EXTREMELY competitive.
There's hardly any any competition in the PvP shooter market anymore..I think Concord has a chance to really be a sleeper hit if done right.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Chances that all of them become moderate to big hits are very slim.
Concord is also a PvP MP shooter, a particular subset of shooters that is EXTREMELY competitive.
Concord is being made by people who worked in the Halo games from Bungie, Destiny (mostly 1), CoD and other top shooters.

Fairgame$ is being made by people who worked in gaming history sales record breaking new IPs like Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs or the Division (plus other ones with insane sales like The Crew and For Honor) plus a lot of other top selling games like Rainbow Six Siege or Far Cry. Plus people from other Ubisoft or non-Ubisoft top games.

On top of that, they are first party Sony games, meaning published by Sony and backed by the GaaS experts from their teams (like Bungie).

Both games have high chances of being big hits just looking at the pedigree of the people behind them.

There's hardly any any competition in the PvP shooter market anymore..I think Concord has a chance to really be a sleeper hit if done right.
Today's Steam player peak shows Counter Strike 2 in the top 1, plus Apex, CoD, R6 Siege and Team Fortress 2 in the top 20. January's top MAU PS games ranking also included The Finals or Overwatch.

All time Steam peak shows in the upper positions Dead by Daylight (this case is more different, asymetric), which also is one of the current top Twitch games, where there's Valorant in a higher position. Plus obviously there's still Destiny 2 there.

So there's at least around 10 strong PvP FPS competitors of different kinds, plus maybe some more I may forget or will release soon and may be very successful, like XDefiant.

But many of them are too old or their players are tired of these series or don't like their current state but don't find a good alternative (add Halo or Battlefield here too).

So if good enough, I think a big portion of thes unhappy players will move to Concord or Marathon (depending on which type of PvP FPS they are and the overlaps with older games). I think this, plus Sony's marketing, will make them super successful, becoming a new hit bigger than the one we're seeing for Helldivers 2 both for Concord and Marathon.

Since many people would move there, then even some players who are happy in the other shooters would also move making their success even higher.

My only worry is that Concord, Marathon and Deviation's games could be too similar, and in that case it would be stupid to release them too close. Maybe Concord are Marathon are different enough to be together in the market without competing against each other, and maybe they pushed back Deviation's game a year or two to don't compete against them. Particularly Concord, which I assume could be more similar.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

Rather than say there's no competition, it's more a question of everyone is entrenched in playing whatever they play.
It's a bit more varied on PC but on PS5 it's Fornite/CoD/Apex and then Rainbow Six Siege.

I do think that the less than stellar reception to MWIII and lower sales as well as Battlefield being in the state that it is as a franchise leaves an interesting gap in terms of potential new "hotness" to catch on but it's still too early to talk about that since Concord is nothing right now.

Concord is being made by people who worked in the Halo games from Bungie, Destiny (mostly 1), CoD and other top shooters.

How many times have we seen these new studios emerge from 2017+ on filled with veteran talent just not producing a quality product? Forming a new studio is hard, game dev is hard. Nothing is certain.

Fairgame$ is being made by people who worked in gaming history sales record breaking new IPs like Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs or the Division (plus other ones with insane sales like The Crew and For Honor) plus a lot of other top selling games like Rainbow Six Siege or Far Cry. Plus people from other Ubisoft or non-Ubisoft top games.

Both games have high chances of being big hits just looking at the pedigree of the people behind them.

Pedigree is nothing. New studio, new culture.
In the case of FairGame$, the creatives won't have access to the thousands of people from around the world to help them in the production of their games like they did with all the global internal Ubisoft studios.

Saying two new studios have a high chances of striking gold on their first game(s) in the multiplayer space sounds incredibly optimistic, but maybe that's just me.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Hard to have any expectations from Concord since we know pretty much nothing about it. Concord has like one bungie/destiny veteran being Josh hamrick as a lead. Worked on both Destiny games in weapons sandbox as well as on Fallout 4 for Bethesda. There may be some BioWare talent there but the Bungie veteran thing is exaggerated by yurinka.

PVP can mean such a large variety of things. It could be arena. It could be hero shooter (please no). It could be an extraction shooter. A BR etc…

I’ll save the hype for when I see better concept footage and gameplay.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
500,000+ CCU incoming today. May even be near 550,000.
That would be 100% possible under normal circumstances but with the cap it would mean 100k+ people waiting in queue with horrible crashes in the game.

I don't think it's possible unless they are still working on raising the cap without telling anyone. We'll see 👀

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I think I'd have more faith in Concord than any other Sony MP game since it's made by Bungie, like it or not they know how to make a fun addictive game, Destiny for all it's bad management still has a notable player base after all these years.
Concord is not made by Bungie tho, it's made by Firewalk.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

On top of that, they are first party Sony games, meaning published by Sony and backed by the GaaS experts from their teams (like Bungie).

Today's Steam player peak shows Counter Strike 2 in the top 1, plus Apex, CoD, R6 Siege and Team Fortress 2 in the top 20. January's top MAU PS games ranking also included The Finals or Overwatch.

All time Steam peak shows in the upper positions Dead by Daylight (this case is more different, asymetric), which also is one of the current top Twitch games, where there's Valorant in a higher position. Plus obviously there's still Destiny 2 there.

So there's at least around 10 strong PvP FPS competitors of different kinds, plus maybe some more I may forget or will release soon and may be very successful, like XDefiant.

But many of them are too old or their players are tired of these series or don't like their current state but don't find a good alternative (add Halo or Battlefield here too).

So if good enough, I think a big portion of thes unhappy players will move to Concord or Marathon (depending on which type of PvP FPS they are and the overlaps with older games). I think this, plus Sony's marketing, will make them super successful, becoming a new hit bigger than the one we're seeing for Helldivers 2 both for Concord and Marathon.

Since many people would move there, then even some players who are happy in the other shooters would also move making their success even higher.

My only worry is that Concord, Marathon and Deviation's games could be too similar, and in that case it would be stupid to release them too close. Maybe Concord are Marathon are different enough to be together in the market without competing against each other, and maybe they pushed back Deviation's game a year or two to don't compete against them. Particularly Concord, which I assume could be more similar.
The market is starved for good FPS. Those games you mentioned are all legacy games with the exception now being the yearly COD games.

There is definitely thirst for new exciting shooters in the market

As far as we know Deviation games project was suppose to be a boots on the ground military shooter. Concord is a Sci-Fi shooter. Neither will overlap and Marathan is extraction shooter... All cover different bases.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Rather than say there's no competition, it's more a question of everyone is entrenched in playing whatever they play.
It's a bit more varied on PC but on PS5 it's Fornite/CoD/Apex and then Rainbow Six Siege.

I do think that the less than stellar reception to MWIII and lower sales as well as Battlefield being in the state that it is as a franchise leaves an interesting gap in terms of potential new "hotness" to catch on but it's still too early to talk about that since Concord is nothing right now.

Never said there was no competition. I said hardly any competition because there's far fewer major releases In the genre now compared to previous generations. I personally think the market is ripe for a few more breakout FPS shooters that will offer new experiences especially on consoles.

We are all hypothetically speaking on Concord. If Sony can hit it out the parkz market it right... it will be a hit.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How many times have we seen these new studios emerge from 2017+ on filled with veteran talent just not producing a quality product? Forming a new studio is hard, game dev is hard. Nothing is certain.
The last gaming history sales record breaking new IPs I know are Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, The Division and Destiny. They are working in Sony, with people who also worked on the other series I mentioned like Halo or CoD.

I'd say it's the first case we see a veterans studios of such pedrigree making record breaking IPs. Specially in plural: having created not one but multiple top selling IPs. I'd say there's none because I don't remember something of this level.

Yes, to make a new studio is hard, to make games is hard, new IPs more, if GaaS even more and nothing is certain. I know it and they too (I worked with some of the people there, met some of them personally and worked/met some of their former coworkers).

But I -and them- also know that having teams like these, whose leads are very talented and experienced, and have been working together in many games and have been super successful most of the times the chances of achieving a big hit are a ton of times higher than when it isn't the case.

Pedigree is nothing. New studio, new culture.
In the case of FairGame$, the creatives won't have access to the thousands of people from around the world to help them in the production of their games like they did with all the global internal Ubisoft studios.
In the case of FairGame$, since the start they had their studio ready to work in remote and all their tools in the cloud, and adapted particularly well because as Ubisoft veterans they are used to work in all their games with many studios from around the work, meaning that since many years before the pandemic they already worked having many things in the cloud and making daily and weekly conference calls.

As you can see in the game credits in Ubisoft or Sony games (or in pretty much any AAA game), in addition to the internal suppport teams they also use external outsourcing support teams. Which in most cases are the same ones who also work for Sony, Microsoft, EA, Capcom and so on.

The difference is that Ubisoft always properly credits everyone, and that they prefer to have a bigger percent of internal support/outsoucing people to reduce costs and ease to fit their schedule with the one from the many games they develop at the same time removing from the equation the ones from the competition that may keep external outsourcing teams busy.

The work with support teams is pretty much the same independently if the support team is internal or external. If desired I can detail their workflow and material they receive and how the quality is verified.

These are going to be Sony AAA games, so they will have AAA sized internal and external staff. Like the ones from Ubisoft or any other publisher.

Saying two new studios have a high chances of striking gold on their first game(s) in the multiplayer space sounds incredibly optimistic, but maybe that's just me.
I saw it many times, even in first hand with people who worked in my office. Both a group of leads and seniors achieaving many hits with us leaving to create Supercell, or King's currently most successful teams.

Or at individual level seeing someone very talented and successful with us to leave to work somewhere and to keep being super talented and successful, as could be the animation director of Unseen, who after leaving us did work in the Ori games, or some producer who after working with us went back to Guerrilla (before being with us he did work in Killzone 2, Burnout series, the engine that generations ago were used by Gran Turismo or Pro Evolution Soccer) to work in Horizon Zero Dawn.

I have many examples of all kinds, both from people who worked directly with me, or that I know from them working in partner studios. Or simply friends from other studios, that I befriended them from sharing beers and later after doing great job somewhere they headed studios or teams who made the best selling Castlevania or Metroid ever, or ones who during the pandemic made stuff like Baldur's Gate 3, recent Hitman stuff or Lords of the Fallen to name a few random examples more. As an example, some of this people previously worked in stuff like The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Payday 2 plus Ubisoft stuff, or even grew from remarkable great indie or porting teams.

I also know many other cases of people who left and wasn't that sucessful, and in many cases was because weren't that talented and experienced before, or because weren't surrounded by a similarly talented and experienced enough team.

Nah, that shit will never hit 500k ever.
I think it will hit 500K for sure, but not this weekend because of the recent crashes experienced when servers are full and the current capacity.

I think will achieve 500K maybe in a week or two, once they stabilized the servers even more and prepared them even more to scale further. If not, a week later once they add the first batch of new content.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As far as we know Deviation games project was suppose to be a boots on the ground military shooter. Concord is a Sci-Fi shooter. Neither will overlap and Marathan is extraction shooter... All cover different bases.
I'm not an expert in shooters, and I think I don't get the difference between boots on the ground military shooter and sci-fi shooter other than the contemporary military vs futuristic military setting for the art or story.

"Boots on the ground" refers only to don't feature running on walls, double jump or jetpacks?

What is the different between them other than the things I mentioned? Is there any difference regarding game modes, skills, types of weapons etc?

It's already surpassed 600k when combined with console
And maxed 700K, so the current level may be above it.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I'm not an expert in shooters, and I think I don't get the difference between boots on the ground military shooter and sci-fi shooter other than the contemporary military vs futuristic military setting for the art or story.

"Boots on the ground" refers only to don't feature running on walls, double jump or jetpacks?

What is the different between them other than the things I mentioned? Is there any difference regarding game modes, skills, types of weapons etc?
Game modes will always play different depending on mechanics as two games in the same genre can have Team Deathmatch yet play totally different.

Boots on the ground is just a way to say a more grounded military / war game. Where as Sci-Fi is far more broad and they can basically do whatever futuristic stuff they want