Helldivers 2 - PlayStation 5/PC - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Helldivers 2 is one of the most refreshing - and straightforward - multiplayer games I've played in a while. It's a third-person bug-shooting blitzkrieg, offering simple sets of objectives and a broad armament to help satisfy them. The actual action of defeating the game's foes is a lot of fun, with hordes of enemies to shoot into gibs with a four-person player squad. But does all that multiplayer chaos come with strings attached? Few games try to achieve destruction at this scale, especially factoring in the unpredictability of multiplayer gameplay, so what kind of visuals and performance should we expect in the game's console outing on PS5 and how does the quality of the PC port fare?

Visually, Helldivers 2 hardly advances the state of the art, but that's not to say that its visual make-up - and its environments - aren't compelling. There's a typical mix of modern graphical staples, but they are deployed effectively. Volumetric lighting is heavily used, for instance, with shafts of light shooting through rocks and trees. The quality level is high, presenting without obvious aliasing, even on the PS5 in its performance mode. The clouds are also volumetric in nature, at least at lower levels of the atmosphere, and resolve without distracting artifacting. Low-lying fog also appears to be part of the equation, with ground-level fog often giving planets a certain ethereal quality.

Environmental density is impressive. There's a lot of scattered rocks, shrubs, and tufts of grass throughout the various planets. Given the size and scope of the game I have to imagine that procedural systems have been used extensively here, but the final results look quite natural. Foliage in particular can be generously placed, with some especially verdant garden worlds. I did note animation issues with the foliage on at least one planet but on a more macro level, lighting and assets come together to make each world feel distinct, giving each environment some nice vistas.

Helldivers' performance mode runs smoothly. We're mostly at 60fps in typical play, with a very smooth readout, especially when combined with the game's motion blur. The game can suffer from extended dips into the 50s though, typically during larger firefights. In my gameplay the worst I saw was about 50fps, so the game does manage to stay pretty close to 60fps more generally, although it can spend a long time hovering in the 50s in extended firefights. The quality mode also manages a tight lock on its 30fps frame-rate target, but it clearly has issues with bouts of inconsistent frame-pacing. There are some genuine frame-rate drops in the mix, with the game dropping to the high 20s, although these aren't very common.

The various settings options mostly speak for themselves. There are two options of note though. The volumetric fog option seems to alter the resolution of the volumetric lighting in general, with lower resolution results at lower settings, while the anti-aliasing toggle actually does work properly on PC, completely turning off any AA treatment. It's weird that this setting doesn't do anything on PS5 but at least it functions as described on PC. However, the lack of any form of reconstruction option such as DLSS, XeSS or even FSR 2 is a real shame. Instead, a simple spatial upscaler is used, which bears the hallmarks of the OG FSR, just like PS5.

Unfortunately, the unexciting visual settings do mean that the upgrades over PS5 aren't as large as you might expect. There's little difference between the PC at max settings at 4K and the PS5 in its quality mode, absent some slightly higher resolution shadows and a bit of a cleaner image. It still doesn't provide a pristine image though and aliasing remains a significant problem. On a high-end system using a Ryzen 7 7800X3D with RTX 4090, we're typically looking at frame-rates in the 90s with settings fully maxed out at 4K resolution. That's solid performance, but you'd probably want to engage some amount of resolution scaling if playing on a high refresh rate display. Normally,toggling on DLSS would be a no-brainer, but of course temporal upscalers aren't supported in this game at the moment.

Both the PS5 and PC versions of Helldivers 2 provide a good experience, and the game is attractive enough for a large-scale multiplayer shooter. I would like to see some additional features on PC though: temporal upsamplers are a must-have in my opinion, and frame generation would be great as well. The 1080p resolution on PS5 in performance mode is bound to be a source of controversy too, but I think it's a sensible trade-off given how taxing this game can be. Perhaps experimentation with FSR 2 might yield decent results, especially considering the unimpressive quality of the existing TAA, but this is a tough game to run at high resolutions. So Helldivers 2 is a compelling multiplayer package, and it's technically sound as well. Players looking for a fresh co-op experience are unlikely to be disappointed.

As a multiplayer experience, I think Helldivers 2 hits all the right notes. The gameplay basics are fun and the open-ended environments give you a fair amount of flexibility in how to tackle each objective. It seems like quite a tactical game too, though the need for advanced strategies wasn't too pressing at the lower difficulties I had the time to unlock. It doesn't seem terrifically complicated, nor does it come packaged with the kind of comprehensive content package that modern players often expect, but I think those omissions are more than forgivable at its asking price.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Kind of a shame the quality mode on PS5 is a shaky 30 when the performance mode is such a clear visual hit down to 1080p. It would be great if they could get a 40fps VRR-friendly mode in there.

PC lacking any modern resolution scaling is a big miss. That would make huge differences across the board for 4k ultra players down to Steam Deck players. I'm kinda shocked any game ships with less than FSR2 in 2024. Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen the invisible shader compilation manifest in ugly ways on Deck where the launch of the game can sit on a black screen for a stupid amount of time, and/or opening cinematics stutter like hell as shown in the DF vid.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Kind of a shame the quality mode on PS5 is a shaky 30 when the performance mode is such a clear visual hit down to 1080p. It would be great if they could get a 40fps VRR-friendly mode in there.

PC lacking any modern resolution scaling is a big miss. That would make huge differences across the board for 4k ultra players down to Steam Deck players. I'm kinda shocked any game ships with less than FSR2 in 2024. Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen the invisible shader compilation manifest in ugly ways on Deck where the launch of the game can sit on a black screen for a stupid amount of time, and/or opening cinematics stutter like hell as shown in the DF vid.
I'd rather they let me play first before using FSR and all that lol

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Lack of FSR2 is really odd, considering they're even using TAA already.

I'd rather they let me play first before using FSR and all that lol
I get that you're talking about the server problems, but we both know it's not the graphics performance devs that are in the business of guessing correctly how much Azure server allocation the game will need.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I wish Sony at least had the decency of offering crossbuy as an option for these day releases.

1080p? But people were telling me yesterday that it's crazy to play at 1080p.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I get that you're talking about the server problems, but we both know it's not the graphics performance devs that are in the business of guessing correctly how much Azure server allocation the game will need.

The CEO himself on X has stated that server capacity is not an issue anymore something like 2-3 days ago, it's not that hard to call Azure and ask for more capacity. That's actually the easiest thing to remedy, they'll happily take your money.
The matchmaking/login issues is 100% Arrowhead's code in this area being very sub optimal, something they've made clear in the many patches trying to address the issue over the last week.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
is it financially illiterate that a steam game works on handheld and tv and laptop and desktop and streaming?
And what does this have to do with Sony would be financially illiterate to charge a one price for all? No matter if you're in their ecosystem or not?

When you can tell me how Cross buy with Steam makes financial sense for PlayStation or Arrowhead... I'll answer your incoherent question that makes no sense.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Don't be disingenuous
I see he clarified about Steam taking a cut, but Steam has done stuff like this before without taking a cut. When Bethesda shut down their godforsaken PC store, they migrated licenses to Steam. I've got my fingers crossed the same will happen when Battle.net is mothballed. So assuming it's actually 100% doable to link your Steam+PSN accounts to enable cross-buy, do you oppose it?

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I see he clarified about Steam taking a cut, but Steam has done stuff like this before without taking a cut. When Bethesda shut down their godforsaken PC store, they migrated licenses to Steam. I've got my fingers crossed the same will happen when Battle.net is mothballed. So assuming it's actually 100% doable to link your Steam+PSN accounts to enable cross-buy, do you oppose it?
I never clarified anything, this weak attempt of yours to backtrack on your ridiculous comment is hilarious.

Sony already did Steam + PSN account link back during PS3 era... And it was only for Valve published Games.

Its dumb you or anyone would think Cross Buy with Steam would make financial sense for any publisher.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I never clarified anything, this weak attempt of yours to backtrack on your ridiculous comment is hilarious.

Sony already did Steam + PSN account link back during PS3 era... And it was only for Valve published Games.

Its dumb you or anyone would think Cross Buy with Steam would make financial sense for publisher.
It makes financial sense if you make money when people play your game. Do you think the telephone version of Genshin Impact is financial mistake?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Why would they do this? It's financially illiterate, please be serious.
They did with Vita, MS does it with their store?

So it makes sense to port for PC but it doesn't make sense getting 100% instead of 70% by having a crossbuy version in their own store like MS does?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It makes no sense for Sony to allow cross buy with a competing platform 🤣🤡.

Genshin is Free To Play, stop being silly... It's embarrassing to watch.
Helldivers is $40, but also has a ton of in-game transactions. I've got a PS5. I bought the Steam version. My save is in the cloud. Why do I have to pay another $40 to play the same game on my PS5? Why can't I carry my in-game purchases with my account on either/any platform?

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom