Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
No day one buy for me then. Getting them second hand if i choose to get them

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Live service games from 1st party will HAVE to be on pc day 1 to make sense in terms of player base. Console only players wont be enough alone to launch a live service game.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It makes sense for live service games where it's all about getting the biggest audience you can.

Not sure about the exclusives strategy but ... we have to wait and see how that plays out more or less.

Reactions: BadBurger

8BiTw0LF

From a business standpoint, this is the right thing to do for Sony. Release SP games on "cheap hardware" - lots of purchases - create hype - release on PC a year after - maximize output. I'm for sure not going to wait a year for PS games and I'm not going to pay $1000 for a graphics card to get slightly better graphics.

Optimized console game releases are still the best bang for the buck you can get.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Makes sense to me for live service. Let them get all the money they can and have a larger user base. As long as these same games have options to seperate pc players from console, I'm good with it.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is a big old I guess.
They already hinted that live services could be day one releases across PS5/PC.

That is why everybody expect Factions to release at the same time in PS5 and PC.

24 Jun 2022
This is the most expected move and the one that makes sense. The stupid thing is porting exclusives to PC, not putting live-service games there.

I'm really curious how this influences the "whales" in the PS ecosystem. The ones who are the hardcore/core gamers, that tend to buy not only the big 1P games but also LOTS of 3P games on the platform. If a sizable chunk of them can do with waiting a year or so to get the game on PC, will they just choose to go there for those games and the 3P games (considering like 90% of all 3P console games are on PC these days)?

Guessing Sony would have metrics and data to show that if such a drift occurs, it either won't be too many percentage-wise, or it'll be sizable but they expect non-whales & more casual/mainstream gamers to make up for the drift (though they'll need like 3 of them for every whale that leaves, to cover the ARPU difference). The latter would probably coincide with staggered price cuts over the years and riding on the name of the brand.

Sony have to understand the implications here though, and have some ways for the PS5 console to get some benefits out of this. SP 1P releases on PC are usually cheaper than on the console. Online MP is free on PC whereas you have to pay $60 a year to have the same on PS5. PC allows for mod support, console does not. Competitive players on PC will have advantages in terms of support for higher refresh rate monitors, keyboard & mouse, etc. Sony has to provide similar options on the console side.

Just interested to see how they go about balancing all this; for me, since I don't have FOMO, basically this is solidifying my choice in PC as my platform for Sony, MS and most 3P games. I'll still have to get a Switch 2 when that comes out though. I'm still very curious why Sony did not take the Nintendo approach; we know Nintendo's numbers in the gaming space when it comes to profits, whereas we don't know any of that for Microsoft. So why are Sony taking Microsoft's strategy in supporting PC so fervently?

I'm still of the belief MS's model works because of their unique size as a corporation and the other parts of their business that generate significantly more money than Xbox (we're talking $150+ billion in annual revenue between Azure, Windows & Office versus at best $16 billion a year in revenue from Xbox). I don't see how Sony is able to emulate that strategy of console & PC on the gaming side, but if they can prove otherwise then I'm more than open to seeing it. I just think they've undersold the growth potential for the PlayStation brand in terms of consoles, and I'm a bit concerned that them pushing for release parity between console & PC (first for the GaaS games, and eventually for the non live-service games) can potentially impact console sales in a negative way while revenue from the PC efforts won't be able to make up for it.

But, we'll see. I know Sony probably want to eventually do their own launcher/storefront on PC which would likely enable Day 1 for all games on both PC (via their own launcher/storefront) and PlayStation, but that's probably years away and it doesn't really have anything to do with this particular topic.

From a business standpoint, this is the right thing to do for Sony. Release SP games on "cheap hardware" - lots of purchases - create hype - release on PC a year after - maximize output. I'm for sure not going to wait a year for PS games and I'm not going to pay $1000 for a graphics card to get slightly better graphics.

Optimized console game releases are still the best bang for the buck you can get.

That's selling PC short. For starters, you don't really need $1000, nowhere near that actually, for a GPU comparable or better than what's in the PS5 or Series X, and that'll definitely be the case within a year. PC has other advantages too, such as free online MP, cheaper prices on the games, best setup for competitive play (300 Hz monitor support and CPUs/GPUs with the power to push them), best controller variety (again also for competitive play), mod support, etc.

Plus, just gaming on a PC, while not 100% as "simple" as console, isn't that far off these days. It's nowhere near the hell PC gamers had to go through decades ago, or in the 2000s even prior to Steam. For me personally, this is solidifying my decision to just stick with PC for everything not Nintendo. I get good performance (potentially better performance than console, depending on PC setup), flexibility (in my case, a GPU I can use between my laptop and PC), cheaper MSRP on games, free online MP, crossplay with console on MP games, mod support, a single place for all MS and Sony 1P games, vast majority of 3P games, single platform for my modern & retro gaming needs, television support if I don't want to use a monitor...

...basically everything but Nintendo games (well, legally speaking). But this is my own use-case; there may be some other people with similar outlooks and plans to prioritize PC, but I do think Sony have enough data to show that there aren't a lot of people like us in the whole, we probably fall within that margin of error of 1 - 3%, which is a write-off statistics-wise. I also think the sales data of PS4 Pro (keep in mind part of the reason it was made was to keep PS4 owners from going to PC) might factor into this, because PS4 Pro sales were a very small fraction of total PS4 sales.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 51

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
If the scope of these online games is wide they need all the players they can get if any of them are to survive.

8BiTw0LF

That's selling PC short. For starters, you don't really need $1000, nowhere near that actually, for a GPU comparable or better than what's in the PS5 or Series X, and that'll definitely be the case within a year. PC has other advantages too, such as free online MP, cheaper prices on the games, best setup for competitive play (300 Hz monitor support and CPUs/GPUs with the power to push them), best controller variety (again also for competitive play), mod support, etc.
Still wayyy above $500 per 7-8 years. My PC is a $2000 workstation bought last year and my $500 3060 can't even show better graphics in God of War than my PS5 doing backwards compatibility, lol. It can do so much more tho' - but for gaming I can't defend it.

You don't need a $1000 GFX card, but if you don't have it - is there really that much difference between PS5 and PC - I can't see it.

D

Deleted member 13

You don't need a $1000 GFX card, but if you don't have it - is there really that much difference between PS5 and PC - I can't see it.
Yes because the PC will run faster FPS and it can have higher feature sets in the graphics settings that PS gamers have no control over. One such thing would be 16x anisotropic filtering of textures - which really sharpens up the textures overall and gives excellent results over the 4x sampling of the consoles.