Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition PC port officially announced releases March 21. PC specifications detailed.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
damn we're seeing your trolling evolve in real time 😂🤣😂
Facts evolve in real time. Steam is getting hit after hit in early access, and Playstation is missing out. Everything from Baldurs Gate to Lethal Company to Palworld and on and on. PS should be cashing in.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Facts evolve in real time. Steam is getting hit after hit in early access, and Playstation is missing out. Everything from Baldurs Gate to Lethal Company to Palworld and on and on. PS should be cashing in.
PS revenue 30 billions, Steam 9 Billions.
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Reactions: VillaiN

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Would've sold better 2 years ago.

Playstation ought to put their games out first on PC early access.
Now I know your just trying to have fun and piss off some people lol.
Let PS and Nintendo be brah, you have enough games on the PC, you can wait a bit for the PS games lol

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Now I know your just trying to have fun and piss off some people lol.
Let PS and Nintendo be brah, you have enough games on the PC, you can wait a bit for the PS games lol
I own a PS5 regardless. I'm just saying what's best for Playstation. Early Access facilitated several of the biggest success stories in the last 2 years.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If I have to guess what I think it will happen is that not all games will be ported anymore.
They originally said that didn't plan to port all their games. More recently Yamauchi said they weren't working on a GT7 pc ports and that didn't have plans to port it there.

Games like Sackboy, R&C, etc that were not profitable won’t have sequels ported to PC anymore.
Not true, both ports must be profitable. We saw in the leaks these porting costs:

image.png

Sackboy is a shorter and smaller UE game developed by a studio who also works on making multiplatform games or porting, so pretty likely its PC port cost must have been even cheaper. But let's ignore and let's assume a worse case scenario where its port did cost around $2M too. $2M to be specific

We know Sackboy sold 62.9K units in its first 3 months as can we see in this graph from February 2023, so by now must be above this.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F1b2f17be-9605-41e1-bbbe-44d0aacccfe9_2736x1539.png

We know that during these first 3 months it only had a two -33% discounts:
image.png

So most of the time was sold at $59.99 and during these discounts at $39.99. Let's assume the worse case unrealistic scenario of 100% of these copies being sold at $39.99, removing the 30% Steam cut Sony got $27.993 from them. $27.993 x 62.9K = $1.76M revenue

In a more realistic scenario, where most game sales are made during the first weeks at full price, on average these 62.9K copies would have been sold at an average of $49.99, and Sony would have get $34.993 from them. $34.993 x 62.9K = $2.2M revenue

So in a worse case scenario where that port costed $2M, the Sackboy port was already profitable after its first 3 months. And obviously any future sale would mean more profit.

Rift Apart PC port is at over 200K units, so it's profitable too.

All PC ports are profitable. And we see in Sony's fiscal reports that their 1st party games generate hundreds of millions in revenue per year, with a huge YoY growth. It's an important and very profitable business for them with a very low risk because every port is very cheap and is always profitable, even for the games like Ratchet and Sackboy that sold very little in PS before.

With the cost of their games skyrocketing and their sales/price/revenue not increasing at the same pe, they need to increase their profitability margin, and PC ports give them more profitability margin at a very low cost/risk. So they obviously will continue increasing their investment on PC, not decreasing it.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Paying full price for a game and then seen it being given away for very little shortly after or even for free makes you feel like a sucker. Nintendo despite all their faults at least gets this.

Felt like this when Demon Souls and Rift Apart came out on Ps Plus

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
I own a PS5 regardless. I'm just saying what's best for Playstation. Early Access facilitated several of the biggest success stories in the last 2 years.
Biggest success stories of publishers who don't need to worry about endangering an entire console ecosystem that makes so much more than that chump change from PS store percentages from third party games including all MTX, to PS+ subscription revenue and a user base locked into a very profitable walled garden.

All that said, my first playthrough of this game will be on PC, so 🤷‍♂️

Last edited: