Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition PC port officially announced releases March 21. PC specifications detailed.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
it did not, in 4 years it sold 3M units and had HEAVY discounts, being sold for miserable 10 dollars
From Sony slides it was worth of the port because it made money (profit).

It already made $60 million with 2 million sales on PC… average $30 per copy.

The issue were others releases that never sold enough to be profitable.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sony said the opposite, that they will double down on it, because they need to increase their profitability margins in the short term and PC ports are very profitable for them.

In fact, even if non-GaaS SP titles are released on PC around 2 years or more than their original version was released in PC (as will be the case of Until Dawn), they have planned day one releases of some of their GaaS like Concord, Marathon or FairGme$.

Sony first party games are making hundreds of millions per year outside PS, obviously mostly on PC. And this is their best selling game there. These ports did cost them around a handful millions each but generate dozens of millions, so they are highly profitable.
If I have to guess what I think it will happen is that not all games will be ported anymore.

Games like Sackboy, R&C, etc that were not profitable won’t have sequels ported to PC anymore.

GoW, Horizon, etc that sold pretty well there will continue being ported.

• haha
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
That would be way too and they would probably make all the wrong conclusion from it (like assuming single player games have no future). I don't think there is going back with their PC strategy, at most they could stop it where it is (no day one ports for single player games).

What I don't get is why they don't even put Denuvo in their games, it's like they want them to be pirated. Single player games getting cracked day one on PC, with small windows is a suicidal strategy.

While Nintendo is suing emulators to try and stop piracy of their games on PC Sony is going out of their way to expose their games to piracy. Then these stupid bean counters question why Nintendo is so much more profitable. :ROFLMAO:
+ the fact that Nintendo don't devalue their games, Breath Of The Wild is 7 years old and it is still being sold for 60 dollars, Horizon Zero Dawn, launched in the same month, was offered for free FOR ALL PS players in 2021, they invest 200/300M on a single game, and then less than a year after release they devalue it HEAVLY, then they wonder why the current model is not sustainable

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
From Sony slides it was worth of the port because it made money (profit).

It already made $60 million with 2 million sales on PC… average $30 per copy.

The issue were others releases that never sold enough to be profitable.
Uncharted, Sackboy, Ratchet... even Miles Morales, all flops on PC

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Uncharted, Sackboy, Ratchet... even Miles Morales, all flops on PC
Yes.

But Horizon not. So the sequel is an obvious option to release on PC.
And this time backed by actual data… not an experiment anymore.

In this case Somy made the right decision.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
When is Sony going to give up on PC
They should have stopped porting single player games to pc after seeing Uncharted, Sackboy, Ratchet. Returnal, Miles Morales, Tlou part 1 flop. But they probably wont

Reactions: Box

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They should have stopped porting single player games to pc after seeing Uncharted, Sackboy, Ratchet. Returnal, Miles Morales, Tlou part 1 flop. But they probably wont
But they saw Horizon sales on PC and choose to release the sequel 🤷‍♂️

Others games failures doesn’t deny that this game made a lot of money to Sony.

It is not an all or nothing business.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
But they saw Horizon sales on PC and choose to release the sequel 🤷‍♂️

Others games failures doesn’t deny that this game made a lot of money to Sony.
And what will they do if this one sells even less than the first one did? Each of their pc ports have been performing worst than the previous and they keep releasing them next to new releases as if they deliberately want them to fail. Hfw releases next to Dragon Dogma 2, good luck with that. Games like Ratchet and Sackboy should never have gotten a pc port to beging, the audience for those games doesnt exist on pc. They clearly didnt do their research when it comes to that. I will even argue a game like Gr2 doesnt really have an audience on pc either

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
And what will they do if this one sells even less than the first one did? Each of their pc ports have been performing worst than the previous and they keep releasing them next to new releases as if they deliberately want them to fail. Hfw releases next to Dragon Dogma 2, good luck with that. Games like Ratchet and Sackboy should never have gotten a pc port to beging, the audience for those games doesnt exist on pc. They clearly didnt do their research when it comes to that. I will even argue a game like Gr2 doesnt really have an audience on pc either
And what they will do if this sell more?

What you see here is that you are trying to use guesses to argue against a fact… Horizon game sold pretty well on PC… made around $60 million when was at 2 million (avg. $30 per copy).

The first games sales goes against any fan hate of having the second game ported to PC 🤷‍♂️

I just think the other way… if Sony releasing the sequel on PC will help to cover the development of a 3rd game I will be very happy.
After all the health of Sony/Industry just indirect beneficie me with more games.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
And what they will do if this sell more?

What you see here is that you are trying to use guesses to argue against a fact… Horizon game sold pretty well on PC… made around $60 million when was at 2 million (avg. $30 per copy).
It wont sell more unless they drop below 20 or something. If not then it wont happen simple, releasing next to dragon dogma 2 isnt going to help either

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It wont sell more unless they drop below 20 or something. If not then it wont happen simple, releasing next to dragon dogma 2 isnt going to help either
Different views imo.

I think it will sell more and at higher average because these that liked the first one will probably pay more now than wait for a cheap deal.

But who knows? If it is a hell of bugged game like TLOU then it won’t sell.

BTW people mistook the TLOU example… it sold bad because it was a terrible port… there is no way TLOU won’t sell well in any place with a huge successful TV Show… Sony fucked themselves here and lose maybe their biggest PC seller.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
+ the fact that Nintendo don't devalue their games, Breath Of The Wild is 7 years old and it is still being sold for 60 dollars, Horizon Zero Dawn, launched in the same month, was offered for free FOR ALL PS players in 2021, they invest 200/300M on a single game, and then less than a year after release they devalue it HEAVLY, then they wonder why the current model is not sustainable
It's funny because it changes our perception of how much the game is worth even when you like the game.

Paying full price for a game and then seeing it being given away for very little shortly after or even for free makes you feel like a sucker. Nintendo despite all their faults at least gets this.

Nintendo recognizes that their audience and the only people they should care about are the people willing to be there for their games at full price or close to it.

4 years since the first port was announced and still whining ffs
Let us at least mourn the slow death of PlayStation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Box

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not that I'm going to play it on PC, but these requirements suggest my RTX 4060 would handle 1080p/60fps/High just fine.

Bold to assume high means PS5 settings and not medium.
Look at the resolution and framerate figures. Then go look at other PS5 games ported to PC.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Look at the resolution and framerate figures. Then go look at other PS5 games ported to PC.
Settings go beyond resolution and target framerate. We have seen in other ports that PlayStation are not necessarily equal to high.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Settings go beyond resolution and target framerate. We have seen in other ports that PlayStation are not necessarily equal to high.
Again, go look at other ports. I will give you an example - R&C.

Edit - For comparison sake

So yes: the high setting is more than likely the same thing as the PS5 setting.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom