How many concurrent players will God Of War Ragnarok have on Steam?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So you think GOW sold 971k the first 3 months and then it sold 2.5 millions six months later 🤣

Days Gone 871k the first year and then 1.7 millions a few months later. These games didn't appear in any chart but they sold millions, more than they did their first year. It's impossible.
To be precise regarding the units sold and when they where achieved according to Sony:
I think Sony reports real numbers, yes. I think they don't lie to their investors and employees regarding game sales because that would be nonsensical.

I also know that as can be seen there, the normal case for PC games with healthy sales is to sell over time, not too focused on launch. Specially in periods when it's discounted or price dropped. And particularly for games who are perceived to be released with a price perceived as too expensive, as pretty likely could be the case of these ports of all games released almost at full price.

So I don't see anything rare in the sales evolution from a report to the other one and I think they didn't stop selling units in February 2023, specially GoW 2018.

And yes, they appeared in the top selling games ranking of Steam, in the same way that right now (when also including F2P games and Steamdeck) GoWR is top 10, FFXVI is top 12 or Helldivers 2 is top 23.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Like I said there are absolutely things to be working on.

You have Demon's Souls which is begging for a PC port.
GT7 is going to be a massive project that will probably bog Nixxes down for a year plus.

Once Nixxes is done with Spider-Man 2, they'll be opened up to doing something big like GT7. But there are still projects worth doing out there.

At some point Bloodborne will get remastered and will need a PC port as well. Will be very interesting to see what Bluepoint has been doing for the last 4 years. They normally have releases every 2 or so years unless they're working on multiple projects.

GIF by ViralHog

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It will be VERY interesting to see what happens now with Jetpack Interactive now that they've finished Ragnarok. Does Sony bring them on internally and have them work on something else or do they wait and do a port of Cory Barlog's next game. I could see them being purchased by Nixxes to expand their scope a bit.
They don't usually keep employees around when they have nothing to work on. So either another remaster they'll help with or absorbed by another studio.
Reminder: Jetpack -not a Sony studio- has only known to have 5 employees, and before working with SSM in the GoW games they also worked for other teams like in Orcs Must Die Unchained, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2, Dark Souls or multiple NBA Live games.

So pretty likely after GoWR they may work with some other studio, including a non-Sony one. They are good doing their job, so many people will want to work with them next.

P.S.: I did a search and some time ago they did post job offers two years ago mentioning that they were also doing support job in other Sony game: "We are now working directly with Sony to develop one of its flagship IPs within its much anticipated live services games portfolio". A job offer mentioned the game was using Unreal Engine. So no Destiny, Helldivers, GT7, MLB, TLOU Online, Horizon Online.

Edit: That GaaS where Jetpack did support was Concord.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exicide

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
4 people plus others pitching in, was clearly mentioned in the write-up. Also likely others at SSM who helped in aspects of the port before handing things off to Jet Pack Interactive.

Once again, if no ports were costing $30 million, it wouldn't have been specified as a cutoff by Jim Ryan for getting clearance of authorization before doing said port. Keep lying to yourselves though. I don't expect much else from bean counters and wannabe corporate suits :/
4 people did the port, as mentioned in the article.

Obviously SSM had to provide contacts for questions/support in some rare cases regarging coding, art, animation, etc. and to send them the code, art assets etc. And obviously other Sony teams also provided Q&A, localization for the few new texts they could have, marketing, PR, etc.

The handful millions is obviously including marketing and so on. There is absolutely no way that a port can cost $30M.

The supposed Jim Ryan mail (we don't have the receipt, only an Iconera post from a Sony hater posting no source link) supposedly said that PC ports only needed a mail to be greenlighted as long as their budget was under $30M. Which doesn't mean that they received any budget of $30M or anything close. We saw the budgets of several of their ports -including future ones- and are between $1.5M and $4.0M. Maybe he said $30M because he thought that to generate that with most ports was easily achievable looking at the numbers of the first ones.

There is absolutely nothing that says that any port did cost $30M them. If you think so, please post the receipts.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
@Yurinka And if you think the port costed less than $30 million, please post your receipts. Guess what? Neither of us have the exact figure, so there 'ya go.

Anyway, GOWR seems like it'll be peaking at 35K CCU; for context, FF XVI hit 27.5K earlier today. So a spread of less than 10K CCU peak between a sequel coming in under half the prior game's peak CCU, and a game that was called a commercial failure on PS5 despite doing 3 million copies in about a week.

Who would've thunk it, huh? 😁

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
@Yurinka And if you think the port costed less than $30 million, please post your receipts. Guess what? Neither of us have the exact figure, so there 'ya go.

Anyway, GOWR seems like it'll be peaking at 35K CCU; for context, FF XVI hit 27.5K earlier today. So a spread of less than 10K CCU peak between a sequel coming in under half the prior game's peak CCU, and a game that was called a commercial failure on PS5 despite doing 3 million copies in about a week.

Who would've thunk it, huh? 😁
FF16 was called a failure by its own publisher mate.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
To be precise regarding the units sold and when they where achieved according to Sony:
I think Sony reports real numbers, yes. I think they don't lie to their investors and employees regarding game sales because that would be nonsensical.

I also know that as can be seen there, the normal case for PC games with healthy sales is to sell over time, not too focused on launch. Specially in periods when it's discounted or price dropped. And particularly for games who are perceived to be released with a price perceived as too expensive, as pretty likely could be the case of these ports of all games released almost at full price.

So I don't see anything rare in the sales evolution from a report to the other one and I think they didn't stop selling units in February 2023, specially GoW 2018.

And yes, they appeared in the top selling games ranking of Steam, in the same way that right now (when also including F2P games and Steamdeck) GoWR is top 10, FFXVI is top 12 or Helldivers 2 is top 23.
I didn't forget that you said GOW sold 2.5 millions in 1 month on PC. Now it's 12 months and a half. More than double what it sold the first 3 months. Fake.

Why would Days Gone sell over double what it sold the second year? Fake

Why would Horizon sell 1 million in its 3rd year when it only sold 2.4 millions the first 2 years? Fake.

All fake ass numbers and you know it. These games were low on the charts after their launch month. To sell these amounts they would need to jump back and always top the charts.

It never did.

24 Jun 2022
FF16 was called a failure by its own publisher mate.

And Sqaure-Enix are idiots for that. But we already knew this when they called Tomb Raider reboot a failure despite selling 6+ million in a decent time frame.

Also lots in the media were pushing that narrative way before Square-Enix put out their own statement. You know the ones. If Square-Enix were expecting XVI and Rebirth to make up for years (10+ years, in fact) of bad management and wasteful spending, that stupidity is 100% on them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
And Sqaure-Enix are idiots for that. But we already knew this when they called Tomb Raider reboot a failure despite selling 6+ million in a decent time frame.

Also lots in the media were pushing that narrative way before Square-Enix put out their own statement. You know the ones. If Square-Enix were expecting XVI and Rebirth to make up for years (10+ years, in fact) of bad management and wasteful spending, that stupidity is 100% on them.
The ones pushing the narrative were the ones who had information about it's performance, with Square Enix's placement and the marketing behind FF16, and the fact it is the 16th installment of a popular franchise, I can see why they would say its initial sales weren't spectacular, but corpos don't keep their projections grounded.