How many concurrent players will God Of War Ragnarok have on Steam?

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
As someone jokingly mentioned by saying GOWR PC was made by 4 people (Jetpack Interactive employs 16 people)
No that wasn't a joke. The PC port was literally made by 4 people. The developers said as much in this interview

Also the fact that we were able to deal with such a small team - we're still working with Jetpack who did the last game, and it's still just four guys over there. We're doing this with four engineers, plus some internal support from animators, QA folks and a handful of people with subject matter expertise.

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
4 guys only? ROI up the wazoo for this port. Now that god of war is done, Sony should use them for more ports so that Nixxes is not overwhelmed. Put them to port that Bluepoint engine to PC;)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
4 guys only? ROI up the wazoo for this port. Now that god of war is done, Sony should use them for more ports so that Nixxes is not overwhelmed. Put them to port that Bluepoint engine to PC;)
I believe it's called 5 guys. The ROI is high because their burgers are so expensive though....

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Keep deflecting and spreading misinformation.

Everyone else can tell these numbers are low but you keep lying to yourself.

31k CCU peak lmao your fake numbers won't save it 🤡
Things aren't disinformation becasuse you dislike them, Jahgamer.

If you think some well researched industry consensus like CCUs being crap to estimate sales of SP game is wrong / misinformation, then show some receipt that proves we in the industry have been always wrong.

If you think that Sony lies in their report of sales or revenues then show some receipt to prove they lie and are wrong.

If not, shut up, stop harassing me and go and get some theraphy or go back to school to learn to behave like a decent person and debate properly.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If you think some well researched industry consensus like CCUs being crap to estimate sales of SP game is wrong / misinformation, then show some receipt that proves we in the industry have been always wrong.
Cyberpunk, a SP game, had over 1 million CCU. I guess that meant nothing because it was actually selling 5000 copies. Sackboy had 600 CCU but it sold 5 millions. Concord was low but Sony pulled it because they were selling too many copies. CCU means nothing 🤡🤡🤡

If you think that Sony lies in their report of sales or revenues then show some receipt to prove they lie and are wrong.
I'm using the actual Sony report, you're using a fake insomniac leak with inflated and impossible numbers that don't match reality but you keep quoting them over and over.

The Last of Us had a similar CCU (36k) and it sold only 368k after 1 month so yes we can compare with the CCU. We have direct data from Sony to do it. Keep putting your head in the sand because you don't like the numbers. We have all the data to counter your lies and misinformation 😘

GOWR sold 100k max and dropping fast. Tomorrow it will be out of the top 10 and forgotten by next week 😬

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Landiri

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Cyberpunk, a SP game, had over 1 million CCU. I guess that meant nothing because it was actually selling 5000 copies. Sackboy had 600 CCU but it sold 5 millions. Concord was low but Sony pulled it because they were selling too many copies. CCU means nothing 🤡🤡🤡
It is obvious that the pretty likely the best seller SP game in Steam history -Cyberpunk- will have better CCUs than games who only sold a few thousand copies. But that doesn't mean CCUs are a good source to estimate sales.

Because as an example, Wukong has a 2.5M CCU peak while Cyberpunk has a 1M peak and that doesn't mean Wukong has sold 2.5x times the Steam units Cyberpunk sold. In the same way that
Helldivers 2 has a 459K peak and Destiny 2 317K and Helldivers 2 hasn't sold more than Destiny 2.

Thats because despite having lower peak, Cyberpunk and Destiny 2 have been sellind during several years while the other two games compared to them are pretty new. And in the case of Wukong, an insane percentage of its sales are from a single country, China, which bumps the CCUs.

For obvious reasons dozens if not hundreds of gamedev studios, gamedev/publisher associations and market analysis firms have been researching different sales estimates mehods having the real sales data of hundreds of games to compare.

The consensus is that CCUs, a metric to know the active userbase of a game in a specific point helps for that and to know if the active userbase of a game grows or decreases at certain points, but isn't useful for sales estimates due to many reasons:
  • Games -particularly healthy ones- sell over time, normally over years, and the CCU peak only reflects typically the launch weekend peak.
    • Depending on the game, its sales are more or less focused on the launch days but generally the first weekend sales aren't even the majority of the sales.
    • The launch peak is also affected by other things like maybe a game maybe not selling so great -or sold but still aren't played- on launch weekend because there were important recent releases the same or in previous weeks and players are playing them instead.
    • Discounts or price cuts strategy heavily affects sales far from release and they aren't reflected in the launch CCU peak.
  • Many people buys a game and leaves it in the backlog to play it later and in many cases never plays it, so isn't tracked in CCUs until they play it. Which in many cases isn't never.
  • If two games have the same sales but one has players mostly on a timezone (let's say those who sell mostly only in NA, or mostly only in EU, or Japan only, or China only and the other with sales spreads more evenly across all timezones, the game with sales focused on a timezone will show a higher CCU because their players will play at similar hours.
  • Launch peak imporatance is also relative to perception of launch price: when launch price is perceived as cheap players enter faster than when game is perceived as expensive (in that case more people wait for discounts and price cuts, which is used by some to frequently have discounts).
  • Launch peak importance is also relative to if the game had a clean, polished launch or if it had many bugs, server issues, clearly unoptimized performance or other issues at launch. When there are important issues at launch that are expected to be fixed later many players wait to buy or play until they are fixed.

I'm using the actual Sony report, you're using a fake insomniac leak with inflated and impossible numbers that don't match reality but you keep quoting them over and over.
We know that the Insomniac leak documents are legit, so the Sony reported data in them too. You claim it's fake just because you don't like what they say. You don't have anything to prove they are fake and it was clear it was legit leaked data. Sony even took it down many images and videos from some places. The Sony data you posted is older, I posted the leaked one because it's newer so it shows more updated sales numbers.

The Last of Us had a similar CCU (36k) and it sold only 368k after 1 month so yes we can compare with the CCU. We have direct data from Sony to do it. Keep putting your head in the sand because you don't like the numbers. We have all the data to counter your lies and misinformation 😘

You are the one who claims that data from Sony is "fake" or "misinformation", not me.

Regarding TLOU, it had important bugs/performance issues at launch, which should make some players wait until issues are fixed to buy or play them, reducing the representativity of the launch CCU peak vs total lifetime sales and also distort estimates made via usar reviews because they are buffed with bad reviews of angry people.

So that launch weekend CCU peak may represent a bit bigger % of launch sales than usual, and these sales should represent a smaller percent of total lifetime sales as usual since as I remember they took more than 3 weeks to fix the issue.

GOWR sold 100k max and dropping fast. Tomorrow it will be out of the top 10 and forgotten by next week 😬
Who knows, Concord broke my crystal ball. In any case, GoWR continues as top 10 top selling Steam games, top 2 in trending games and top 3 in popular releases.

Reactions: Exicide

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No that wasn't a joke. The PC port was literally made by 4 people. The developers said as much in this interview
Yep, that port was made by 4 porters. Clearly shows that it doesn't make sense to consider that at least some of these ports cost over $30M as a few claim.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
GOWR does not need to sell as much as GOW18 in order to be successful on PC.

The question is did it generate operating income towards reducing the cost to profit ratio. The answer to that is certainly going to be yes.
No, for corporates you make more money on the next one not less.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It is obvious that the pretty likely the best seller SP game in Steam history -Cyberpunk- will have better CCUs than games who only sold a few thousand copies. But that doesn't mean CCUs are a good source to estimate sales.

Because as an example, Wukong has a 2.5M CCU peak while Cyberpunk has a 1M peak and that doesn't mean Wukong has sold 2.5x times the Steam units Cyberpunk sold. In the same way that
Helldivers 2 has a 459K peak and Destiny 2 317K and Helldivers 2 hasn't sold more than Destiny 2.

Thats because despite having lower peak, Cyberpunk and Destiny 2 have been sellind during several years while the other two games compared to them are pretty new. And in the case of Wukong, an insane percentage of its sales are from a single country, China, which bumps the CCUs.

For obvious reasons dozens if not hundreds of gamedev studios, gamedev/publisher associations and market analysis firms have been researching different sales estimates mehods having the real sales data of hundreds of games to compare.

The consensus is that CCUs, a metric to know the active userbase of a game in a specific point helps for that and to know if the active userbase of a game grows or decreases at certain points, but isn't useful for sales estimates due to many reasons:
  • Games -particularly healthy ones- sell over time, normally over years, and the CCU peak only reflects typically the launch weekend peak.
    • Depending on the game, its sales are more or less focused on the launch days but generally the first weekend sales aren't even the majority of the sales.
    • The launch peak is also affected by other things like maybe a game maybe not selling so great -or sold but still aren't played- on launch weekend because there were important recent releases the same or in previous weeks and players are playing them instead.
    • Discounts or price cuts strategy heavily affects sales far from release and they aren't reflected in the launch CCU peak.
  • Many people buys a game and leaves it in the backlog to play it later and in many cases never plays it, so isn't tracked in CCUs until they play it. Which in many cases isn't never.
  • If two games have the same sales but one has players mostly on a timezone (let's say those who sell mostly only in NA, or mostly only in EU, or Japan only, or China only and the other with sales spreads more evenly across all timezones, the game with sales focused on a timezone will show a higher CCU because their players will play at similar hours.
  • Launch peak imporatance is also relative to perception of launch price: when launch price is perceived as cheap players enter faster than when game is perceived as expensive (in that case more people wait for discounts and price cuts, which is used by some to frequently have discounts).
  • Launch peak importance is also relative to if the game had a clean, polished launch or if it had many bugs, server issues, clearly unoptimized performance or other issues at launch. When there are important issues at launch that are expected to be fixed later many players wait to buy or play until they are fixed.

We know that the Insomniac leak documents are legit, so the Sony reported data in them too. You claim it's fake just because you don't like what they say. You don't have anything to prove they are fake and it was clear it was legit leaked data. Sony even took it down many images and videos from some places. The Sony data you posted is older, I posted the leaked one because it's newer so it shows more updated sales numbers.

You are the one who claims that data from Sony is "fake" or "misinformation", not me.

Regarding TLOU, it had important bugs/performance issues at launch, which should make some players wait until issues are fixed to buy or play them, reducing the representativity of the launch CCU peak vs total lifetime sales and also distort estimates made via usar reviews because they are buffed with bad reviews of angry people.

So that launch weekend CCU peak may represent a bit bigger % of launch sales than usual, and these sales should represent a smaller percent of total lifetime sales as usual since as I remember they took more than 3 weeks to fix the issue.

Who knows, Concord broke my crystal ball. In any case, GoWR continues as top 10 top selling Steam games, top 2 in trending games and top 3 in popular releases.
It means Wukong sold faster and sold more at the same time period compared to CP2077.

Aldo Helldivers 2 likely sold more at the same time period as Destiny 2

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
It means Wukong sold faster and sold more at the same time period compared to CP2077.

Aldo Helldivers 2 likely sold more at the same time period as Destiny 2
that isn't what that means at all. That just means there were more people playing at the same time, hence the word Concurrent in Concurrent Users

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Final Shape launch is somewhere around 2.3 million units as it was rumored to have been sold the same as lightfall ( biggest expansion launch) but with a 9 month longer dev cycle. $50 for the expansion with a large chunk of those players buying for the year at $100.

Destiny 2 hits one million concurrent across all platforms for these launches; translating to an estimate 300k plus in steam concurrent.

It’s at its all time lowest engagement ever right now with Episode 2 less than 3 weeks away. However TFS and Destiny still sells week after week well and unlike Episode 1… Episode 2 isn’t free with the expansion.

TFS should be expected to have sold well thru the year and I’d ballpark it at somewhere at 5 million by years end.

The new model for 2025 changes their rollout wholesale tho. Soft reboot (still $100 a year).

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022
Yep, that port was made by 4 porters. Clearly shows that it doesn't make sense to consider that at least some of these ports cost over $30M as a few claim.

4 people plus others pitching in, was clearly mentioned in the write-up. Also likely others at SSM who helped in aspects of the port before handing things off to Jet Pack Interactive.

Once again, if no ports were costing $30 million, it wouldn't have been specified as a cutoff by Jim Ryan for getting clearance of authorization before doing said port. Keep lying to yourselves though. I don't expect much else from bean counters and wannabe corporate suits :/

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
So you think GOW sold 971k the first 3 months and then it sold 2.5 millions six months later 🤣

Days Gone 871k the first year and then 1.7 millions a few months later. These games didn't appear in any chart but they sold millions, more than they did their first year. It's impossible.

Deep down you know these numbers are wrong.
Okay so GAME REVIEWS is the only metric that matters but comparing the CCU at LAUNCH for similar releases in the same timeframe (sometimes even the same week like Frostpunk and FF16) and then comparing them with the Sony reports is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT and impossible to tell 🤡🤡🤡

Even you can't believe your own bullshit. You're just coping because all the data we have is low and makes the sales look bad.

GOWR now at Number 10 on Steam and dropping out today 😬

Peak at 35k, 5k less than Horizon FW 😬

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
4 people plus others pitching in, was clearly mentioned in the write-up. Also likely others at SSM who helped in aspects of the port before handing things off to Jet Pack Interactive.

Once again, if no ports were costing $30 million, it wouldn't have been specified as a cutoff by Jim Ryan for getting clearance of authorization before doing said port. Keep lying to yourselves though. I don't expect much else from bean counters and wannabe corporate suits :/

You can always tell there are people who don't know how the approval process works for procurement.

You always set levels for approvals at various levels.

There were things that I can buy without even mentioning to my boss. And there is a specific amount that I need his approval for and a specific amount that I would need a VP approval or the CTO, and then yes, the CEO.

That doesn't mean that I made purchases that needed CEO approval simply because the amount exists, certainly not for business as usual purchasing.

You inherently don't understand how the business works. You're consistently wrong about things and willfully so.

Nixxes employs less than 100 people. It's also in the Netherlands. Why does that matter? Because the average pay is going to be less than the US.

Nixxes projects take between 3 months and 12 months to complete, per Nixxes.

Let's assume a project takes an entire 12 months and the entire staff and the staff is paid higher than usual. Let's say 120K dollars annually.

That total is 10 million dollars.

For a port job to reach 30 million dollars, it would take the entire Nixxes staff working nearly 3 years to reach that. Nixxes puts out 1-2 games per year. That is 5-10 million dollars per port job. That's so far removed from 30 million dollars, that I guarantee you that no port has ever needed to be approved by Jim Ryan under that amount. It's fully possible that that amount was lower at some point and they raised it. That happens all the time in procurement.

What you most likely have is an internal billing situation where say Guerrilla or Naughty Dog contract out to Nixxes, and that expenditure does not need to go to the CEO for approval. The 30 million is set so high that it clears the bar that he doesn't have to be involved in those decisions and thus is not a blocker.

The same is true if Nixxes is busy and you have to contract out externally to a studio like Jetpack Interactive or Iron Galaxy.

Do you know how you can tell that it is the individual studios that contract out these games and not the publisher?

Because Iron Galaxy has worked on several Naughty Dog ports specifically. They did Legacy of Thieves and TLOUP1. JetPack Interactive has specifically done God of War and God of War Ragnarok. Nixxes has taken over more of these responsibilities working first with Guerrilla (also based in the Netherlands) and then with Insomniac and most recently Santa Monica.

Sony's preference is clear that they prefer to use Nixxes rather than external contractors, but if Nixxes is busy, you can still use your preferred partner.

It will be VERY interesting to see what happens now with Jetpack Interactive now that they've finished Ragnarok. Does Sony bring them on internally and have them work on something else or do they wait and do a port of Cory Barlog's next game. I could see them being purchased by Nixxes to expand their scope a bit.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It will be VERY interesting to see what happens now with Jetpack Interactive now that they've finished Ragnarok. Does Sony bring them on internally and have them work on something else or do they wait and do a port of Cory Barlog's next game. I could see them being purchased by Nixxes to expand their scope a bit.
They don't usually keep employees around when they have nothing to work on. So either another remaster they'll help with or absorbed by another studio.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
They don't usually keep employees around when they have nothing to work on. So either another remaster they'll help with or absorbed by another studio.

Like I said there are absolutely things to be working on.

You have Demon's Souls which is begging for a PC port.
GT7 is going to be a massive project that will probably bog Nixxes down for a year plus.

Once Nixxes is done with Spider-Man 2, they'll be opened up to doing something big like GT7. But there are still projects worth doing out there.

At some point Bloodborne will get remastered and will need a PC port as well. Will be very interesting to see what Bluepoint has been doing for the last 4 years. They normally have releases every 2 or so years unless they're working on multiple projects.

So I hope we see them drop 2 releases in 2005.