How many concurrent players will God Of War Ragnarok have on Steam?

24 Jun 2022
Seems kept growing towards the weekend, will have a higher peak later today:

image.png

It decreased in top sellers, but continues top 2 in popular releases and trending games, only behind the (cheaper) recent release of the super popular Frostpunk:
image.png

image.png

image.png

It's worth mentioning the somewhat similar case of Dead Rising, a recent high priced late port (in this case remaster) of a classic console game.

Wouldn't make sense, they are very profitable and talented.

It's at 30K now but its record peak will probably not break 35K which is...not good. Keep in mind 2018 peaked at 73K; it also has much higher review scores on Steam.

The trend should be to see sentiment remain high and player counts to increase, not decrease, as is the case with GOWR. Meanwhile XVI is right at that 25K-30K peak threshold I predicted it'd hit over the weekend. That there is just a 5K difference in peak CCUs ATM between both games just shows how tainted and idiotic the discourse about XVI on PS5 was.

Either that, or it shows how idiotic & greedy Square-Enix's BoD and investors are in thinking the game was a failure, or SIE were lying about GOWR being a sales success (when you factor out the PS4 sales, which weren't much), or that XVI's "failure" on PS5 was due to being an undesirable game for most of its owners while GOWR was much more desirable. You never saw most of the media think about these points because most of them can't think beyond clickbait titles to farm engagement.

Anyway back on topic...GOWR is going to peak at around 35K-40K CCU and I expect its sales to be at most half that of 2018's on Steam for lifetime. I also expect more of its lifetime sales to be at discounts for a longer period than 2018's, meaning less than half of 2018's Steam revenue in total.

If you want to lie to yourself and say this is success or "growth", hey, enjoy the charade.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It's at 30K now but its record peak will probably not break 35K which is...not good. Keep in mind 2018 peaked at 73K; it also has much higher review scores on Steam.

The trend should be to see sentiment remain high and player counts to increase, not decrease, as is the case with GOWR. Meanwhile XVI is right at that 25K-30K peak threshold I predicted it'd hit over the weekend. That there is just a 5K difference in peak CCUs ATM between both games just shows how tainted and idiotic the discourse about XVI on PS5 was.

Either that, or it shows how idiotic & greedy Square-Enix's BoD and investors are in thinking the game was a failure, or SIE were lying about GOWR being a sales success (when you factor out the PS4 sales, which weren't much), or that XVI's "failure" on PS5 was due to being an undesirable game for most of its owners while GOWR was much more desirable. You never saw most of the media think about these points because most of them can't think beyond clickbait titles to farm engagement.

Anyway back on topic...GOWR is going to peak at around 35K-40K CCU and I expect its sales to be at most half that of 2018's on Steam for lifetime. I also expect more of its lifetime sales to be at discounts for a longer period than 2018's, meaning less than half of 2018's Steam revenue in total.

If you want to lie to yourself and say this is success or "growth", hey, enjoy the charade.

GOWR does not need to sell as much as GOW18 in order to be successful on PC.

The question is did it generate operating income towards reducing the cost to profit ratio. The answer to that is certainly going to be yes.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

Some people here don't distinguish between x no of copies sold at full price and y no of copies sold at massive discounts. I would understand if the PC ports would do 2-3+ million copies at full price as that brings in a cool 150+ million. But SIE's pc ports sell most of their numbers at 50% off, Just look at Ghost it is already 20% off on steam and it launched in july.

Not to mention the negative round of CCU articles that do the rounds on the internet, God of War is supposed to be the crown jewel and these articles just diminish its value.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Would we consider the possibility that Sony's plan worked? They released the first GoW in Jan 2022 on the pleb platform. A whole bunch of the steam eunuchs bought it, and then Ragnarok released on PS5 and sold 15 mil at full price, or close to it, in a year.

They converted steamlickers into actual paying customers on a proper gaming platform, meaning the only ones left here are double dippers and loser PC lifers, hence the lower sales for a superior sequel.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Would we consider the possibility that Sony's plan worked? They released the first GoW in Jan 2022 on the pleb platform. A whole bunch of the steam eunuchs bought it, and then Ragnarok released on PS5 and sold 15 mil at full price, or close to it, in a year.

They converted steamlickers into actual paying customers on a proper gaming platform, meaning the only ones left here are double dippers and loser PC lifers, hence the lower sales for a superior sequel.
No I think GoW went through its BoTW glow up after the 2018 game and more people in the playstation eco system became fans

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

CCUs don't mean a shit to estimate sales particularly SP games. For SP games they normally peak the launch day or weekend and highly drop after that to get eventual spike when new content is aded or at a big sale or discount.

Sales don't act like that, they have a longer peak and later get further peaks with discounts and price cuts but keep selling during some years.

In any case, as of now all time CCU peaks are:
  • Helldivers II 458,709
  • Destiny 2 316,750
  • GoT 77,154
  • GoW 73,529
  • Spider-Man 66,436
  • HZD 56,557
  • HFW 40,462
  • TLOU 36,496
  • GoWR 31,606
  • Days Gone 27,450
  • Morales 13,539
  • Uncharted 10,851
  • Ratchet 8,757
  • Helldivers 1 6,744
  • Returnal 6,691
  • Predator Hunting Ground 1,504
  • Concord 697
  • Sackboy 610
So if we'd take CCUs as sales reference, it's above Days Gone. Which in around a year and 8 months and a half sold 1.7M units on Steam according to the leaked Insomniac document (the 2/6/2022 date seems a typo, with the real being 2/6/2023).

q46edC8.png

Which means that, considering the budgets, sales and revenue per copy we saw in other leaked Insomniac documents, this late PC port will be a profitable project. Just like the other ones.

The growth is in the revenue posted in their Sony's fiscal reports and in Sony's position in the publishers ranking.

If you reject to believe these factual numbers you're the one lying yourself, not me.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
GOWR does not need to sell as much as GOW18 in order to be successful on PC.

The question is did it generate operating income towards reducing the cost to profit ratio. The answer to that is certainly going to be yes.

Hmm, that's funny. I wonder, if Spiderman 2 sells less on PS5 than Spiderman 1 did on PS4, will you and others consider it a success or failure? If GOWR ends up selling less between PS4 & PS5 than GOW 2018 did on PS4? Because we both know the media have different standards for console (specifically, PlayStation) vs PC (or really any other console platform).

If that happens, is the excuse going to be that PC was "just a port", so it really doesn't matter if the sequel does more or less? Even if that goes against the growth-focused mindset of SIE and their shareholders? Does "growth" only matter when it's convenient? Do you think shareholders would be content with the game sales on console staying the same but dropping on supposed growth platforms like PC?

Keep in mind just because Totoki's got SIE on this margins-increase goal, doesn't mean they've suddenly dropped their growth targets. They still have a LOT of shareholders who prioritize growth ahead of the margins; SIE can't just ignore them now. They made a bed with them; now they gotta sleep in it 🤷‍♂️

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
CCUs don't mean a shit to estimate sales particularly SP games. For SP games they normally peak the launch day or weekend and highly drop after that to get eventual spike when new content is aded or at a big sale or discount.

Sales don't act like that, they have a longer peak and later get further peaks with discounts and price cuts but keep selling during some years.

• Helldivers II 458,709
  • Destiny 2 316,750
  • GoT 77,154
  • GoW 73,529
  • Spider-Man 66,436
  • HZD 56,557
  • HFW 40,462
  • TLOU 36,496
  • GoWR 31,606
  • Days Gone 27,450
  • Morales 13,539
  • Uncharted 10,851
  • Ratchet 8,757
  • Helldivers 1 6,744
  • Returnal 6,691
  • Concord 697
  • Sackboy 610
So if we'd take CCUs as sales reference, it's above Days Gone. Which in around a year and 8 months and a half sold 1.7M units on Steam according to the leaked Insomniac document (the 2/6/2022 date seems a typo, with the real being 2/6/2023).

q46edC8.png

Which means that, considering the budgets, sales and revenue per copy we saw in other leaked Insomniac documents, this late PC port will be a profitable project. Just like the other ones.

The growth is in the revenue posted in their Sony's fiscal reports and in Sony's position in the publishers ranking.

If you reject to believe these factual numbers you're the one lying yourself, not me.
Easy to make something seem profitable when you ignore the other 99% of the development cost

Let's judge it on what it contributes to the overall hundreds of millions it costs to make a AAA game

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Easy to make something seem profitable when you ignore the other 99% of the development cost

Let's judge it on what it contributes to the overall hundreds of millions it costs to make a AAA game
There is a project that is shipping the original game on PS with a specific budget. And then there is a different project that is making the PC ports years later with a different budget. Each project has a different budget, revenue and profit, as listed on Insomniac's documents.

Sometimes the original game is not profitable and the millions in profit of the PC port help to reduce these loses. Sometimes the original game is profitable and the extra millions in profit of the PC port help to fund to fund their next game and make it less risky.

For the numbers we did when we got the leaked numbers, even the Sackboy PC port was protifable. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the top selling late ports I think they did -or were in track of making- around over a handful dozen millions in profit.

But on practice, for big companies they get the bulk for these things: last FY their 1st party games did over $700M in revenue outside PS, and the first quarter of the current FY they did over $200M.

Meaning, Sony can fund an entire AAA (not just a year, and including marketing etc) with the revenue they did outside PS just in the last quarter. Or to fund almost 100 PC ports. And three more entire AAA games with the revenue they did the previous FY.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: arvfab

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Hmm, that's funny. I wonder, if Spiderman 2 sells less on PS5 than Spiderman 1 did on PS4, will you and others consider it a success or failure? If GOWR ends up selling less between PS4 & PS5 than GOW 2018 did on PS4? Because we both know the media have different standards for console (specifically, PlayStation) vs PC (or really any other console platform).

If that happens, is the excuse going to be that PC was "just a port", so it really doesn't matter if the sequel does more or less? Even if that goes against the growth-focused mindset of SIE and their shareholders? Does "growth" only matter when it's convenient? Do you think shareholders would be content with the game sales on console staying the same but dropping on supposed growth platforms like PC?

Keep in mind just because Totoki's got SIE on this margins-increase goal, doesn't mean they've suddenly dropped their growth targets. They still have a LOT of shareholders who prioritize growth ahead of the margins; SIE can't just ignore them now. They made a bed with them; now they gotta sleep in it 🤷‍♂️

Yes, it is just a port. They don't need to sell more and more copies. Didn't I just tell you that?

Your long winded response fails to recognize that the growth strategy here isn't simply growing on PC, but reducing cost to profit ratio, which allows Sony to continue to make these games on console, despite their growing budgets.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024

the pc port was made by a grand total of 4 people

24 Jun 2022
CCUs don't mean a shit

Aww, calm down buddy.

to estimate sales particularly SP games. For SP games they normally peak the launch day or weekend and highly drop after that to get eventual spike when new content is aded or at a big sale or discount.

What are you even responding to with this? Did I say anything different? No. I gave an estimate of GOWR's peak CCU on Steam, which was a specific number (it's already dropping btw). You're responding to an argument about CCU representing something I never even said.

No; heavily discounted sales spike up the units but with lower profit margins and much less revenue per copy. The "peaks" during discounts you talk about are more like small spikes and bumps; discounts alone don't create meaningful spikes in CCUs so much as new content does. A game like GOWR won't enjoy that luxury. So, again, why are you mentioning this when it doesn't help your argument, and your argument has nothing to specifically do with GOWR?

• Helldivers II 458,709
  • Destiny 2 316,750
  • GoT 77,154
  • GoW 73,529
  • Spider-Man 66,436
  • HZD 56,557
  • HFW 40,462
  • TLOU 36,496
  • GoWR 31,606
  • Days Gone 27,450
  • Morales 13,539
  • Uncharted 10,851
  • Ratchet 8,757
  • Helldivers 1 6,744
  • Returnal 6,691
  • Concord 697
  • Sackboy 610

q46edC8.png

Days Gone and GOWR are two different games. GOWR's sales are going to be a lot more frontloaded than Days Gone because it's a sequel to a game that already got ported to Steam a few years ago, and it's a well-known IP. There is also zero reason to suspect GOWR will break the trend of SIE's ports selling less and less on PC than the initial wave, in part due to the fact the novelty factor is gone.

You mean the budgets that included a requirement to get authorization for games costing $30 million or more to port? The budgets that don't reflect the costs in tool pipeline changes to accommodate workflows that have PC in mind earlier on, like what Naughty Dog have already admitted to? Oh those costs? The ones you always forget to bring up? OK then 🙄

You mean like the non-PS revenue increase for FY '23 that obfuscated PC revenue numbers in with Xbox & Nintendo ports, likely to puff up the impression of PC software performance during that year? Or the PC revenue for FY '23 that 100% would've missed the targets if it weren't for Helldivers 2 massively overperforming?

You're the one who didn't even stay on topic, making up some fallacy that I was trying to imply peak CCUs were an absolute indicator of lifetime sales instead of focusing on GOWR's PC performance o.0

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What these people don't understand is that PC ports costs Sony relatively nothing to make.

As someone jokingly mentioned by saying GOWR PC was made by 4 people (Jetpack Interactive employs 16 people) it didn't have a high cost associated with the port.

You know these people don't know what they're talking about because they want to associate the initial game's development cost with the port, but the port only exists because the game is finished.

Cost to profit ratio the ports make WAY more money than the original games. If GOWR sold 250K copies at 60 dollars, it would be 15 million dollars in revenue, less 20% is 12 million dollars. The port of this game probably wasn't even 2 million dollars. That would mean this port has probably already generated 10 million dollars in operating income minus some light marketing costs.

Again, you'll never be able to convince people of the simple math here. They're Ideologues. It's a complete waste of time to try and debate them. It's more fun to simply reflect the financial reports.

Sony will probably have a bit of a poor Q2 report, but their Q3 report is going to be astonishing.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
GOWR's sales are going to be a lot more frontloaded than Days Gone because it's a sequel to a game that already got ported to Steam a few years ago, and it's a well-known IP.
Being a sequel where narrative is important and that continues the story means that normally would sell less than the previous one, and those who would buy it may wait for longer to play it than in a new IP, because they may want to wait to complete the first one before.

There is also zero reason to suspect GOWR will break the trend of SIE's ports selling less and less
Sure, GoWR can't break a trend that doesn't exist. We saw the yearly PC revenue growing every year, and later when bundled with the other consoles as "other software" kept growing.

As an example, "other software" this quarter made twice the money it did the year before. And GoT doesn't seem to have tanked at all.

You mean the budgets that included a requirement to get authorization for games costing $30 million or more to port?
In your dreams $30M PC ports may exist.

But in the real world they don't exist, we saw the leaked budgets of several Sony PC port projects and all were between $1.5M and $4M. And someone mentioned supposed mail from Jim Ryan included there (I didn't see it directly, and the one who shared it is a known anti-Sony hater not sharing the source, so may be fake) saying that PC ports only needed an email to be greenlighted as long as budgets were under $30M.

Please show a single receipt of any PC port costing $30M or more.

The budgets that don't reflect the costs in tool pipeline changes to accommodate workflows that have PC in mind earlier on, like what Naughty Dog have already admitted to? Oh those costs? The ones you always forget to bring up? OK then 🙄
The budget of a port is the budget for all the costs of a port.

A studio provides the code and assets of a game already released elsewhere plus a couple contacts for technical questions, and for that amount of money a porting team adapts it to a separate platform and they publish and market it a bit.

Naughty Dog didn't port their games to PC, Iron Galaxy ported them. As far as I remember Naughty Dog never admited to have internal costs related to porting games they didn't port and never said they make their game with PC in mind or that adapt anything.

Please post receipts if you think this is the case.

You mean like the non-PS revenue increase for FY '23 that obfuscated PC revenue numbers in with Xbox & Nintendo ports, likely to puff up the impression of PC software performance during that year? Or the PC revenue for FY '23 that 100% would've missed the targets if it weren't for Helldivers 2 massively overperforming?
I mean the graph of their PC only revenue graph we saw with numbers up to FY22 (plus a FY23 estimate they overperformed), plus the leaked sales numbers we saw in the Insomniac documents., or the "Other software" (1st party revenue in PS hardware, mostly PC but also MLB and Destiny in the other consoles), because it's the oficial place where their PC revenue is reported every quarter so we don't need to wait until the PC numbers are shared in some yearly FY report. Plus some isolated game specific sales number they rarely shared in their FY yearly reports.

You're free to wonder what it could have happened if whatever, but 100% is the YoY increase "other software" had last quarter.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
if we'd take CCUs as sales reference, it's above Days Gone. Which in around a year and 8 months and a half sold 1.7M units on Steam according to the leaked Insomniac document (the 2/6/2022 date seems a typo, with the real being
Still using fake numbers when Sony published their official numbers. 852k after more than 1 year.

I get physically enraged when I read your posts. You don't learn you just repeat the same thing over and over.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
This reminds me how neutered and woked ragnarok is.
Ragnarok had angryboda, atreus and whatever disney crap.. ok it had great gameplay too and some gore but I don't remember anything on 2018 level

PIeXuNA.jpeg

pQein8S.jpeg

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I get physically enraged when I read your posts.
I noticed it when you kept insulting/trolling/attacking me when you wrote awful things like this when replying to me:

Idiotic take.
Still using fake numbers
You should stop talking like this to people who says things you don't like but can't debunk, and instead behave properly.

Because here mods allow you to do so, but in the workplace or in life in general it may cause you important issues.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I noticed it when you kept insulting/trolling/attacking me when you wrote awful things like this when replying to me:

You should stop talking like this to people who says things you don't like but can't debunk, and instead behave properly.

Because here mods allow you to do so, but in the workplace or in life in general it may cause you important issues.
Keep deflecting and spreading misinformation.

Everyone else can tell these numbers are low but you keep lying to yourself.

31k CCU peak lmao your fake numbers won't save it 🤡

• fire
Reactions: Landiri

Banana

10 Jan 2023
You guys keep crying about this and it being the end of sony, yet you're the first to defend them and you keep buying their stuff? So which is it?