Hypocrite Spencer: If we’re just growing and Sony’s shrinking, that doesn’t help anybody

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Phil needs to learn what competition is. It literally help Sony if MS shrinks and sony grows, i could be dumb as shit and would still know this. Shit, drugs dealers and pimps know this, that's why if you come around their territory with your product they cut your ass and run you off the block.

Uchi3123

18 Jun 2023
Canada
If we’re just growing and Sony’s shrinking, that doesn’t help anybody.
Meanwhile Hellblade 2 is a console exclusive, Outer Worlds 2 will be a console exclusive, Psychonauts 2 never got a PS5 upgrade, he pretty much confirmed the next Elder Scrolls will be a console exclusive, and one of the most anticipated WRPG of 2023 from Bethesda is also a console exclusive.

I couldn't care less these are exclusives, because if I need to play them I'll find a way, but everything this guy says contradicts their obvious strategy. I'm just sick and tired of the whole "good guy" act and I can't believe people actually think he's thinking about "gamers" and gives a flying fuck about the state of the industry. Dude's a living breathing PR puppet at this point. Every time he opens his mouth, I instinctively roll my eyes.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
You mean the shill press like Jez Corden and Destin, who spin FUD attacking PlayStation in the name of the console brand you head? You mean members of the community like Crapdealer and Colteastwood who do the same regularly, let alone other rabid fanboys?

Always read between the lines when Phil Spencer is speaking. The more he talks, the more of a passive-aggressive tone it seems like takes. There were shades of that in the interview with him and Matt Booty talking to Jeff, Lucy & that other dude.

He seems to virtue-signal about not wanting to compete by traditional means, but he works for a company that grew by competing (and monopolizing its share of competition) through those same means, often squeezing other smaller competitors out of the market space. Which to an extent all companies have done, including Sony, but Microsoft are an exception in the degree of anticompetitive tactics they used historically to get to where they are today. Xbox is a beneficiary of that; when you look into the motivations for the division's creation they are founded explicitly on the concept of traditional competition and squeezing out direct competitors, specifically Sony PlayStation.

When I see statements like this paired with actual actions the division makes such as looking to acquire more 3P publishers (cutting off the total number of independent 3P publishers on the market a competitor like Sony can actually work with directly, which incidentally hurts PlayStation customers), and the statements they've made to get regulatory approval for the ABK deal, how various Xbox executives openly associate with console warriors who basically want to reduce PlayStation to 3rd place to "win the console war", etc...

...quite honestly Phils' words are worth less than a penny. Let your actions do the talking, not your mouth.

Which ResetERA account do you normally post under? 🤣
I also get a bad feeling that this is Phil signaling what he plans on doing. Hopefully MS aren't allowed to use their wallets to further screw over everyone who aren't in their ecosystem.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Phil, I'm pretty sure you know and also acknowledge that many other people also expects that this gen you'll keep shrinking your market share and Sony will increase theirs.

And it's ok. If you want to play the nice guy role, the best reply would be to say that you'll try to make Xbox as successful as possible, and that independently of that, it makes you happy to see Sony and Nintendo being successful too.

I'd avoid comparing yourself with Sony or to talk about your competition with them because doesn't matter what you say: it will make you look bad.

Banjo64

1 Aug 2022
They acknowledged in their CMA submissions that Game Pass is cannibalising game sales.

So not only are they trying to shrink Sony by removing third party publishers like Zenimax, and their attempt with ABK, but it’s even more sinister. They are attempting to shrink every other developer in the industry.

They want more of the existing pie for themselves. If they have 30m Game Pass subscribers but third party sales tank, they got theirs.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Their plan is clearly to shrink the pie and have a larger slice by forcing their poisonous subscription model on everyone. They're lucky there are so many herpy derps out there who can't see past all the free 60 metacritic games and understand what they're contributing to.

One way to actually grow the pie - and this is really out of left field - would be to invest in new studios and create new IP. The opposite is taking existing developers and publishers away from your competitors. Phil is a bit confused because he says one thing but his actions say another.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
They acknowledged in their CMA submissions that Game Pass is cannibalising game sales.
Sony showed it as well on their slides in the other thread:
image.png

They forecast making more ant more money with their subs and less with the full games sales.

The problem with MS's strategy is that by making their 1st party games almost Day-and-date (they offer paid pre-release access) they cannibalize way too much to make it worth the money they make on the service.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
image.png

They forecast making more ant more money with their subs and less with the full games sales.

The problem with MS's strategy is that by making their 1st party games almost Day-and-date (they offer paid pre-release access) they cannibalize way too much to make it worth the money they make on the service.
Damn even Sony projects full game sales to shrink by nearly 50% in 6 years... that's sad as fuck

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
image.png

Makes sense why Xbox's 10 year deals with Hemorrhoid and the other all-Ukrainian streaming services stipulated Xbox keeps all add-on revenue. It's projected to be the biggest slice of the pie!

• thisistheway
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Damn even Sony projects full game sales to shrink by nearly 50% in 6 years... that's sad as fuck
hard not to shrink, when you make garbage games :D gaas shit which tanks.

the less SP games on market, the bigger demand, bigger cut. but noooo. lets do gaas :D