Hypothetical SteamOS console vs PS5

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah, that was very high in my list of concerns 🤕.

It does not really matter, the Steam Deck makes a difference, even if it sells only a fraction of what the PS5\Switch sells (even compared to the xbox consoles it's not selling that much).
It has had no impact on anyone but the Cult of Gabe. The mainstream hasn't heard of it and wouldn't give a shit if they did.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Looking at what is happening with in smarphone market, PlayStation would have a lot more to gain by going the Apple direction than the Android one.

Valve is on a completely different position where they are already far ahead as far as storefront features and being able to directly compete with anyone.

Valve despite how slow they move at least have consistently moved in the same direction for years and years while Sony failed to solve some core long issues for their business like refunds, free online, store UI, user feedback, native portable device, backwards compatibility, etc.

Sony has a massive buffer due to how big PS is now but if they ever find themselves in direct competition against PC it not going to be favorable to them. They still have a few years to put their home in order or we might actually see PlayStation go the way of Xbox not in the so distant future.
Exactly. You can't have Valve providing portability and being financially cheaper, and then MS chipping away at available software libraries.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
Theres no novelty to it, especially when you can dock the Steam Deck

Might as well just build a cheap PC

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Theres no novelty to it, especially when you can dock the Steam Deck

Might as well just build a cheap PC
As a Steam Deck stan, this is not true. The Deck is not suited for outputting to a 4k tv.

When SteamOS is released for general machines, building your own steam console will be a great option.

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
As a Steam Deck stan, this is not true. The Deck is not suited for outputting to a 4k tv.

When SteamOS is released for general machines, building your own steam console will be a great option.

Lmao just build a pc

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

StramOS was released to general machines way before Steam Deck was a thing…

BTW there is nothing exceptionally or that makes it worth to install in PC and you can’t use it as a common desktop.
Being fair it is way better to install Debian (or other Linux distribution) and the Steam client than SteamOS.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

BTW there is nothing exceptionally or that makes it worth to install in SteamOS and you can’t use it as a common desktop.
Being fair it is way better to install Debian (or other Linux distribution) and the Steam client than SteamOS.
Yep, it released like 10 years ago.

Reactions: ethomaz

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Steamos is still just a pc.
Although steam deck does help with some annoying windows stuff.
No. I play on console for reasons to avoid annoying pc stuff

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Steamos is still just a pc.
Although steam deck does help with some annoying windows stuff.
No. I play on console for reasons to avoid annoying pc stuff
The biggest issue with SteamOS is that it is a specialized gaming OS.
If you look at the gaming community they rather use a Linux with Steam client in Big Picture (basally the same experience as SteamOS) than use a OS like SteamOS.
Because you will eventually using your PC as a common desktop that SteamOS doesn't help.

SteamOS has a very niche and specific use.

And don't get your hopes up... the SteamOS 3.0 based in Arch is even more capped to desktop use than SteamOS 2.0 based on Debian.
That is why the ideia of a SteamMachine is still not something PC gamers get used even after a decade.
PC gamers are used to use their machines as a desktop machine while gaming.

In that regard SteamOS cater more to consoles users than PC gamer users that is a bit funny and ironic imo.

Reactions: rofif
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

BTW there is nothing exceptionally or that makes it worth to install in PC and you can’t use it as a common desktop.
Current SteamOS has nothing to do with old SteamOS that existed before Proton.

Proton completely changed the game for gaming on Linux.

The biggest issue with SteamOS is that it is a specialized gaming OS.
If you look at the gaming community they rather use a Linux with Steam client in Big Picture (basally the same experience as SteamOS) than use a OS like SteamOS.
Because you will eventually using your PC as a common desktop that SteamOS doesn't help.

SteamOS has a very niche and specific use.

And don't get your hopes up... the SteamOS 3.0 based in Arch is even more capped to desktop use than SteamOS 2.0 based on Debian.
That is why the ideia of a SteamMachine is still not something PC gamers get used even after a decade.
PC gamers are used to use their machines as a desktop machine while gaming.

In that regard SteamOS cater more to consoles users than PC gamer users that is a bit funny and ironic imo.
If an image of SteamOS 3.0 was available you could easily use as a regular desktop. I've been using Linux for almost 2 years and I easily prefer it over windows for regular use. Once Valve decides to suppot PC with the OS they'll likelly give you the option to boot directly into Desktop mode.

VR and online games is where Windows is still much better (because devs don't care and start flagging Linux as cheating).

When Linux becomes viable to regular users that are just on Windows because of gaming, than people will start opting out of paying for Windows. It blows my mind how frequent Linux runs Windows games better than Windows all while devs don't even care about it. Linux is just a superior OS.

All Valve needs to do is too keep improving it and releasing more hardware options. Hopefully it will have enough momentum for when MS fucks up again with another Windows release.

My bet is that Valve will try to release a Quest like device at some point and a console like device as well as make SteamOS available for people to install on their own and for other manufactures to offer it on their own devices.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Current SteamOS has nothing to do with old SteamOS that existed before Proton.

Proton completely changed the game for gaming on Linux.

If an image of SteamOS 3.0 was available you could easily use as a regular desktop. I've been using Linux for almost 2 years and I easily prefer it over windows for regular use. Once Valve decides to suppot PC with the OS they'll likelly give you the option to boot directly into Desktop mode.

VR and online games is where Windows is still much better (because devs don't care and start flagging Linux as cheating).

When Linux becomes viable to regular users that are just on Windows because of gaming, than people will start opting out of paying for Windows. It blows my mind how frequent Linux runs Windows games better than Windows all while devs don't even care about it. Linux is just a superior OS.

All Valve needs to do is too keep improving it and releasing more hardware options. Hopefully it will have enough momentum for when MS fucks up again with another Windows release.

My bet is that Valve will try to release a Quest like device at some point and a console like device as well as make SteamOS available for people to install on their own and for other manufactures to offer it on their own devices.
You can use Linux as deskotp.
Not SteamOS and that includes the version 3 found in SteamDeck.

But if you are curious you can install the SteamOS found in SteamDeck in a desktop:

I don't even think it was even in the plan to build a SteamOS for desktop use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You can use Linux as deskotp.
Not SteamOS and that includes the version 3 found in SteamDeck.

But if you are curious you can install the SteamOS found in SteamDeck in a desktop:

I don't even think it was even in the plan to build a SteamOS for desktop use.
Yes you, you just can't get the image from Valve since they didn't release it. I already installed HoloISO in the past and other than having the dedicated Steam interface it's basically just another Linux distro.

It's pretty obvious that Valve will release it to other hardware beside their own when the time comes, right now they just want to ensure they get the experience right. The point of SteamOS is not that you would need to run SteamOS yourself instead of other distro, the point is that if devs were to at least care to support and test their games for one distro all others would benefit from it.

People here keep questioning the point of Linux/Steam OS, so I have to ask, what is the point of Windows?