Hypothetical SteamOS console vs PS5

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
People here keep questioning the point of Linux/Steam OS, so I have to ask, what is the point of Windows?
Over 97% of the the users that play games uses Windows.
Don’t you see point in that?

If the goal of Valve was to popularize Linux then it is not working.
Steam Deck is not a hot buyer device either.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
3% is better than 0.01% before steamdeck/proton
anything to chip away at windows is good
Maybe I’m being a bit obtuse here…

Windows 96.49%
Linux 1.0%

Today

Windows 96.56%
Linux 1.91%

And here in the forum we talk about give up on Xbox that has a way better position than Linux 🤷‍♂️

For me both are pointless for gaming.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

Windows 96.49%
Linux 1.0%

Today

Windows 96.56%
Linux 1.91%

And here in the forum we talk about give up on Xbox that has a way better position than Linux 🤷‍♂️

You need something to keep MS honest with their cloud/AI bs.

Having Linux as a potential alternative does that, at least in part.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You need something to keep MS honest with their cloud/AI bs.

Having Linux as a potential alternative does that, at least in part.
In servers (where Linux has the strongest power) that already happens (Linux has like 40% and Windows 30%).

But in gaming with less than 2%? For what?

PS. Before people tries to says Linux compete in Desktop… it doesn’t… UI is still miles behind Windows… any little issue you have to go search in weird forums and mailing list to discover it is not a easy fixing things and then you have to try tons of terminal command lines, change in config files and even recompile the whole app to see if it works lol

Last distro I installed was ElementaryOS 7 and even with the more modern look and using flatpak the issues continue the same.

People don’t give credit to how consumer friendly Windows is… any person that never touched a PC in life can get easy time with the windows.

Linux for me is a laboratory experiment… you take way more time trying to understand and make things happen that being productive wit it.

Maybe if every Linux dev focused in a single distro instead to try to make it own distro things could be better… it really needs a profissional / commercial focus behind it to analysis what consumers find easy in terms of UI instead to make UI for fans.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Windows 96.49%
Linux 1.0%

Today

Windows 96.56%
Linux 1.91%

Doubled in two years? If it doubles every two years, in 8 years you'll have 32% of the market on Linux.

Not that it will happen, but those numbers are actually really good.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
PS. Before people tries to says Linux compete in Desktop… it doesn’t… UI is still miles behind Windows… any little issue you have to go search in weird forums and mailing list to discover it is not a easy fixing things and then you have to try tons of terminal command lines, change in config files and even recompile the whole app to see if it works lol
My dude, you need to actually use Linux before saying shit like this. Windows UI and UX is piss poor, and Linux has supported store fronts for years. There's no need to dabble on terminal and shit unless you want to, or you have a distro that's more malleable. Take a look at Zorin OS or Elementary OS for example.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Doubled in two years? If it doubles every two years, in 8 years you'll have 32% of the market on Linux.

Not that it will happen, but those numbers are actually really good.
Sure lol

sddefault.jpg

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My dude, you need to actually use Linux before saying shit like this. Windows UI and UX is piss poor, and Linux has supported store fronts for years. There's no need to dabble on terminal and shit unless you want to, or you have a distro that's more malleable. Take a look at Zorin OS or Elementary OS for example.
I use Linux.

I eve said the last distro I used was ElementaryOS 7.1.

It is not for average user like I said… tons of issues… flatpak that doesn’t work.
Needs to always rely on terminal.

And if the Linux doesn’t recognize your network or Bluetooth adapter man you are ready for a long ride…

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What distro? Because your notion seems very antiquated. Hell, Ubuntu from 12 years ago didn't required that much tinkering.
Last one like I posted and you didn't read.... ElementaryOS 7.1.
I had used Elementary 6 and Peppermint (9?) don't remember before that.
I have both still installed in the notebook... Elementary 7.1 and Pappermint 9... ohhh nad let's not talk how bad and buggy was ElementaryOS 6.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I'm just saying that doubling user base in 2 years is not bad. Of course it won't exponentially grow, but let's not pretend it's bad.
Steam used to be like that, people here clearly underestimate Valve. It took a long time for Steam to get to this point.

Funny how the likes of MS, Epic, Sony are all constantly being outmanouver by Valve, almost as if Valve knew what they were doing and have chosen to invest long term on Linux.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Steam used to be like that, people here clearly underestimate Valve.

Funny how the likes of MS, Epic, Sony are all constantly being outmanouver by Valve, almost as if Valve knew what they were doing and have chosen to invest long term on Linux.
I'm all for Linux taking over Windows and Mac. I don't think it ever will because the mind share is just not there, but both of those need a kick in the balls.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I'm all for Linux taking over Windows and Mac. I don't think it ever will because the mind share is just not there, but both of those need a kick in the balls.
I think it will happen just like it happened everywhere else, migth take a long time and desktops might not even matter by then to most people anyway.

Windows just genuinely sucks and I don't see it changing.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think it will happen just like it happened everywhere else, migth take a long time and desktops might not even matter by then to most people anyway.

Windows just genuinely sucks and I don't see it changing.
Well technically "Linux" already dominates smart phones, so I guess it's possible.