30 Jun 2022
Arent these people on ign tired with these dick measuring contest

Optimus Prime Animation GIF by Transformers

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Hate on IGN all you want, but the hard truth is this:

It's absolutely bonkers that a PC build with brand new components is able to match or surpass a newly-released console's performance within 30% of the latter's cost.

When the 400€ PS5 released in 2020 a similar PC with 8-core Zen2, RX6700 XT and 1TB NVMe couldn't be made for less than 1500€, and still the PS5's storage was much faster.

In 4 years, we went from 3.5x the cost to match the console's performance to 1.3x.
Give it 18 months and we'll probably be able to build a 800€ PC that is faster than the PS5 Pro for the same price.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

It's absolutely bonkers that a PC build with brand new components is able to match or surpass a newly-released console's performance within 30% of the latter's cost.

When the 400€ PS5 released in 2020 a similar PC with 8-core Zen2, RX6700 XT and 1TB NVMe couldn't be made for less than 1500€, and still the PS5's storage was much faster.

In 4 years, we went from 3.5x the cost to match the console's performance to 1.3x.
Give it 18 months and we'll probably be able to build a 800€ PC that is faster than the PS5 Pro for the same price.
This is how it’s always been. When consoles release the are simply the best value for gaming. LATER IN THE GENERATION pcs become more valuable because with time the parts are cheap. I think Sony doing pro consoles just making the cycle a lot shorter.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is how it’s always been. When consoles release the are simply the best value for gaming. LATER IN THE GENERATION pcs become more valuable because with time the parts are cheap. I think Sony doing pro consoles just making the cycle a lot shorter.

This is why PS5 slim should get a little price reduction too. But maybe they are leaving that till Switch 2? Would make sense but also wishful thinking about current Sony lol

Reactions: Muddasar and voke

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Not laughable. Just sour grapes from PC fans.

Until a console is the same price as a PC with the same specs you have no argument.

Give it 18 months and the PS5 and the Pro will probably be cheaper too.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This is why PS5 slim should get a little price reduction too. But maybe they are leaving that till Switch 2? Would make sense but also wishful thinking about current Sony lol
I don’t think Sony is interested in branding PS hardware being ‘cheap’.

That’s one place where I think they’ve taken from Apples playbook for sure.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

It will get a price cut when the Switch 2 is announced.

We will probably see it drop before Christmas.

The base PS5 will compete directly with the Switch 2.

Reactions: Kokoloko

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
This is factually untrue. The PS4 Pro released for 400€ with a GPU that was more evolved than the RX470 8GB and you wouldn't be able to build a similar PC for less than 800€.
And it had a blu-ray drive.

Give it 18 months and the PS5 and the Pro will probably be cheaper too.
The PS5 only got more expensive in the last 4 years. The only thing that's changed in the meanwhile was Xbox's collapse.

Why would you assume it's going to get cheaper now?

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
This is factually untrue. The PS4 Pro released for 400€ with a GPU that was more evolved than the RX470 8GB and you wouldn't be able to build a similar PC for less than 800€.
And it had a blu-ray drive.

The PS5 only got more expensive in the last 4 years. The only thing that's changed in the meanwhile was Xbox's collapse.

Why would you assume it's going to get cheaper now?

If PC components get cheaper then the PS5 will too.

They use the same components from the same sources.

It happens 99.9% of the time.

Honestly what is riling you PC guys up so much?

Enjoy your PC.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

where you getting 1.3x?

That's what I would get for a PC to match the ps5 pro's specs without skimping on power supply (never skimp on the power supply). $1260, that's 1.8x. Also I didn't even add the cost of a dualsense, another $75.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
People missing the point that Sony just gave these content creators some content that allows them to use the name PlayStation. Straight up charity.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
where you getting 1.3x?

In Europe it's 1.3x.

The closest to the PS5 Pro one can do in a PC is this:

View attachment 5564
View attachment 5565

I guess you can throw in a DualSense for 60€ driving it up to 1130€. I thought about going for a WiFi 6E adapter which would save like 50€ but I guess I should be as fair as possible.
In Europe this compares to 800€.

A couple points:

1 - GPU will be substantially faster in rasterization.

2 - Whole system has 32GB RAM, GPU alone has 16GB total which doesn't share with CPU.

3 - That 2TB drive does 7000MB/s vs. the 5500MB/s on the PS5 Pro.

4 - The PSU is 550W but it's still an overkill. The GPU is rated for 270W and the CPU for 65W. Everything else won't add up to 50W more so we're looking at ~380W top.

5 - There's a ton more of I/O and modularity that you can make use of.

So is it "a fair bit more" than 800€? Yes, but it won't be for long.

Come the RDNA4 graphics cards, we'll probably get a much closer GPU to the PS5 Pro going for 400€. As soon as more WiFi 7 adapters come up to the market, they'll be a lot cheaper too. Especially the USB ones. Same thing with the CPU, as there'll be better options under 150€. Price-per-GB on storage will eventually go down as well.

Also, for a regular gamer the money saved on games throughout a couple of years will probably top the price difference within 3 or 4 years.