IGN: Starfield Feels like Xbox's Last Chance at Redemption

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
He can smell the fear.

ezgif-2-a783f2bd98.gif

Bethesda games are anything but deep, shallow is pretty much the adjective that best describes their games, wide and shallow.

There not my type of games, but the NPC‘s choices, factions, side quests etc is what the fans seem to like. And reviewers will “love it”

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
You'll be able to tell if the bought-off media are going to get away with exalting Starfield depending on consumer sentiment. If you have people continuing to mock Xbox, continuing to laugh at Starfield's cringe sex lines, finding faults in its demos and during the showcase/previews, then they're not going to go against their reader base. Sorry, MS. Anything less from the crowds and it's a high 80s pile of garbage like Halo Infinite.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I don’t think Xbox will manage the turnaround. Starfield will have horrible scores expect of Xbox centric sites. And I am still convinced that Activision Blizzard will be blocked. Remember the deadline for closing the deal is expiring in two months. I doubt that Microsoft will be able to convince ABK Shareholders to extend the deadline. Microsoft‘s gaming dreams are done for.

Horse Clock GIF by Ultimate Tag

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
I agree with this.
It already is, look at Redfall. If that doesn't indicate that Xbox is in deep poopy, then I don't know what will. Xbox will never be able to change its image ever again, at least Nintendo managed to change 60% of its image from the disaster of the Wii U. At least they can sort of learn from their mistakes, and PlayStation as well, they redeemed themselves, meanwhile, Xbox has had 2 generations to fix their image and has failed time after time, after time, after time again. With the current leadership, they will never be able to redeem themselves.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don’t agree with this at all lol.

Which part in particular? Well maybe Im being a bit over the top.

Bethesda’s main games until recently got overlooked for its issues. Even Deathloop with its AI. From the big games from when I remember, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3. NV. 4 all getting great high reviews even with really glitchy launches. Ill admit, Id give ES a 90, even thought though I dont like the combat, I love a RPG you can get lost in.

But there are plenty other RPG’s that get harsher treatment when they are better in my opinion. Bethesda big RPG’s get a pass for its extremely glitchy launches, not amazing controls or combat, and for a heavy on dialogue game, pretty meme worthy voice acting and dialogue lol. Older and new games have much better voice acting.
Marrowind deserved more though

GTA was always getting 10/10 From 3onwards-5. Again, not saying its not deserved, maybe not the solid 10/10 without question which most places like IGN would give but there are other games that deserve 10/10 if GTA is getting it. Also Red Dead, even though I loved the games.

Nintendo, well Id say Zelda, maybe not the rest of Nintendo. And Im A huge Nintendo fan, I think Zelda deserves its scores even though there are performance issues recently, that other games would get scores lost.
Previously no1 cared and with OOT I never felt any dips, it was solid…. A solid 20fps with no dips lol.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Bookmark this post.

The media will say Starfield is xbox last chance. Then the media will fall all over themselves to explain why starfield is amazing, GOAT, despite it's flaws.

Thus isn't fanboyism, it's reading a script that gets played out time after time.

Yep.
Would be a pleasant surprise Starfield and FF16 are judged properly/evenly

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
This game is just too big to fall. Zelda is fine and all but this... Proper BGS releases are among the biggest events in gaming.
Been that way since Morrowind. Hell I am still hyped for Sky wind.

Hopefully they go straight to TES VI with no fallout in the middle. Too much emphasis on fallout last gen for some reason.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Which part in particular? Well maybe Im being a bit over the top.

Bethesda’s main games until recently got overlooked for its issues. Even Deathloop with its AI. From the big games from when I remember, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3. NV. 4 all getting great high reviews even with really glitchy launches. Ill admit, Id give ES a 90, even thought though I dont like the combat, I love a RPG you can get lost in.

But there are plenty other RPG’s that get harsher treatment when they are better in my opinion. Bethesda big RPG’s get a pass for its extremely glitchy launches, not amazing controls or combat, and for a heavy on dialogue game, pretty meme worthy voice acting and dialogue lol. Older and new games have much better voice acting.
Marrowind deserved more though

GTA was always getting 10/10 From 3onwards-5. Again, not saying its not deserved, maybe not the solid 10/10 without question which most places like IGN would give but there are other games that deserve 10/10 if GTA is getting it. Also Red Dead, even though I loved the games.

Nintendo, well Id say Zelda, maybe not the rest of Nintendo. And Im A huge Nintendo fan, I think Zelda deserves its scores even though there are performance issues recently, that other games would get scores lost.
Previously no1 cared and with OOT I never felt any dips, it was solid…. A solid 20fps with no dips lol.
Well Skyrim got ripped on release for the PS3 version. Though I don remember some people blaming Sony and the architecture of the system, but it was a big deal at launch.

I don't remember Red Dead getting free passes necessarily but was that game bug ridden? I don't remember the first one being so, but I couldn't finish the second one out of boredom, even though I loved the first.

Tears is polished to hell and back, and it's the best game I've played in I don't know how long. I know from a total creation point of view I don't think I've ever seen anything better. And yet with all the complexity happening, I have yet to see a single bug yet. Not one. Yeah I've seen a couple of frame rate dips when constructions get complex but I can count it on one hand I think, and otherwise the performance is great. I play docked though.

I'm not the only one who has noticed either.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Well Skyrim got ripped on release for the PS3 version. Though I don remember some people blaming Sony and the architecture of the system, but it was a big deal at launch.

I don't remember Red Dead getting free passes necessarily but was that game bug ridden? I don't remember the first one being so, but I couldn't finish the second one out of boredom, even though I loved the first.

Tears is polished to hell and back, and it's the best game I've played in I don't know how long. I know from a total creation point of view I don't think I've ever seen anything better. And yet with all the complexity happening, I have yet to see a single bug yet. Not one. Yeah I've seen a couple of frame rate dips when constructions get complex but I can count it on one hand I think, and otherwise the performance is great. I play docked though.

I'm not the only one who has noticed either.

I havent played TOTK yet, I just arrived in UK yday after 3 months away. Looking forward to playing, it looks amazing, even though Ive seens big dips in gameplay yet. Ill be playing Docked too, 99% of the time I play Switch docked.

Red dead didnt get free pass, but GTA i feel didnt deserve 10/10’s.

Skyrim stuff was blamed on PS3 system. But it still had tech issues on PC/ Xbox and still got lots of positive reviews. Im purely talking review scores not media talk outside of it Etc.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
We’ll have to see. Returnal was treated harsh, GT7 too.
Sorry! I guess I need to work on my sarcasm. But I was trying to insinuate, I expect them to be more not picky towards FF 16.