IGN: Starfield Feels like Xbox's Last Chance at Redemption

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Let's say their studios were releasing enough really good games one after the other and everyone was happy we would not care much about when they were bought.

The current situation at xbox makes zero sense, they bought a ton of studios since 2017 or so (so 6 years), all of them must have had one or more game in the oven at their time of purchase. They should have shipped a couple of decent games every year and be on a regular release schedule by now, if they were doing their job right we would be swimming in amazing first party games from both Sony and MS and the console war would be about which ones are the best and which console to buy to play your next 5 games.

Instead we have Sony just rocking and MS being there "games aren't that important to gamers".
I still care if MS is buying up 3rd parties that have a history of shipping on multiple platforms. I don't care if they kept releasing games, that's just not the right way to go about it IMO. It hurts players.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No it isn’t. MS can bail out Xbox forever if they want to.
That is the question, turned out that Nadella was a big believer in Xbox but for how long will the dude keep supporting while getting nothing in return but massive Ls?

Dude has to be ready to fire Phil Spencer at any moment now and blow it all up.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Starfield will be successful.

And not because of any grand conspiracy to save Xbox or anything. It'll be successful for the same reason all Bethesda-developed RPGs are successful: they're excellent at providing the illusion of depth while actually being quite shallow. They have the incredible presentation and just enough mechanics and side content to trick more casual players into thinking they're playing something super deep. And in spite of a fuck ton of bugs, like always.

I agree but just not on the presentation side of things.
Yeah its overall better than WRPG’s like Kingdom Come in that aspect etc but Bug wise, voice acting, animations, fascial animations they arent on a great level or even graphics to some degree. Unless theres things Im missing in regards to presentation?

Not enough efforts on these parts. Presentation in Music, overall story/lore, UI/Title screen is great and the world/side quests is pretty good.

Thats the things I loved about Oblivion and Skyrim were, Side questions, lots of NPCs
( Even thought the dialogue and voice acting is pretty bad compared to something like Vampire Masquarine or a Rockstar or Naughty Dog game).
Lore and factions you can join etc I enjoyed. Something silly like as a side quest, being turned into a vampire and having to do a load of stuff to be turned back to normal.

Combat/gameplay wise they arent great compared to alot of other games, again better and smoother than combat in Kingdom Come but could be alot better

24 Jun 2022

Preemptive damage control?

It'll survive but no one will care about the brand seriously anymore. It'll be the equivalent of the failed Japanese businessman who's given a lonesome office to face the window at and contributes nothing to the company, kept in shame instead of simply being fired.

That will be Xbox if Starfield turns out to be a dud or underperforms. And that's arguably worst than simply being fired.

Bethesda acquisition looking worse and worse by the day. And I got banned on Era for saying I never liked Bethesda games 🤦🏻‍♂️

What, really? But they have constant "I hate HFW" threads almost daily and none of those people get banned for often repeating erroneous talking points or clearly coming at the game with a hateboner.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
It'll survive but no one will care about the brand seriously anymore. It'll be the equivalent of the failed Japanese businessman who's given a lonesome office to face the window at and contributes nothing to the company, kept in shame instead of simply being fired.

That will be Xbox if Starfield turns out to be a dud or underperforms. And that's arguably worst than simply being fired.

What, really? But they have constant "I hate HFW" threads almost daily and none of those people get banned for often repeating erroneous talking points or clearly coming at the game with a hateboner.
Yes, really. When it was acquired I said it didn’t affect me because I never liked their games anyway. They said I was looking for a reaction and banned me. I despise Bethesda because they only make the same boring first person experiences and it’s bug filled.