IGN: Starfield Feels like Xbox's Last Chance at Redemption

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
Starfield will be successful.

And not because of any grand conspiracy to save Xbox or anything. It'll be successful for the same reason all Bethesda-developed RPGs are successful: they're excellent at providing the illusion of depth while actually being quite shallow. They have the incredible presentation and just enough mechanics and side content to trick more casual players into thinking they're playing something super deep. And in spite of a fuck ton of bugs, like always.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

And not because of any grand conspiracy to save Xbox or anything. It'll be successful for the same reason all Bethesda-developed RPGs are successful: they're excellent at providing the illusion of depth while actually being quite shallow. They have the incredible presentation and just enough mechanics and side content to trick more casual players into thinking they're playing something super deep. And in spite of a fuck ton of bugs, like always.
It won’t be successful without the biggest console user base.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Starfield should launch bigger than FF16. It also should launch bigger than its closest competitor; Cyberpunk 2077 — which still did like 20 million plus.

The thing is… gamepass for console and pc has completely butchered metrics and selling the game for a fraction of the cost.

So while I do believe player metrics will be great because people still play Skyrim and Fallout 4 today more than most new releases…. Hell, go look at the XBL charts. Skyrim is placed better than Redfall. LOLs. I can’t see them recouping dev costs and marketing. That’s a problem.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

You nailed the quality aspect of it. Sales wise it was always going to be successful solely because of PC.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
WTF... comparing final fantasy vs a BGS release? Are we in 1997?

Only Rockstar and some top tier first party releases are bigger events in gaming.

Sorry to be a party popper but FFXVI will turn out exactly like every single game since X; Good game for it's audience (at best) decent sales for a AAA title but nothing more.

They should learn from Capcom and focus on remakes. FF is like Frank Zappa's phrase about jazz: It ain't dead but it smells funny.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Only Rockstar and some top tier first party releases are bigger events in gaming.

Sorry to be a party popper but FFXVI will turn out exactly like every single game since X; Good game for it's audience (at best) decent sales for a AAA title but nothing more.

They should learn from Capcom and focus on remakes. FF is like Frank Zappa's phrase about jazz: It ain't dead but it smells funny.
FF15 sold >10 mil copies even though it sucked. You're wrong.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Starfield is going to do well, but it's going to be hard to tell exactly how well thanks to Gamepass and heavily digital sales. It will also be affected by whether or not word of mouth is good (ie how bad are the glitches and does it run well), and the fact that a Playstation version is off the table, limiting the reach that Bethesda's previous titles had.

FFXVI will do great number as well I think. It has Sony promoting the hell out of it as a major PS5 exclusive and the director has a lot of goodwill thanks to his work rebooting FFXIV.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It concerns me that Phil Spencer said Redfall was further along in development than Starfield at the time of the acquisition. I assumed Starfield was in full development for like 5+ years.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It concerns me that Phil Spencer said Redfall was further along in development than Starfield at the time of the acquisition. I assumed Starfield was in full development for like 5+ years.
simple, that entire "honest phil" interview was bullshit and he lied. There is no way that redfall was further along in development than starfield considering starfield started its development process after fallout 4 (2015). Phil lies a whole lot and he's very good at making it sound believable, that's how he got to where he is and how he still has a cult of bozos who hang on his every word, despite barely any of them ever proving out.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

What are we? In 2010 for this kind of BS to be spewed? Lmao

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

My money is on Final Fantasy XVI. Is Elder Scroll online bigger than Final Fantasy XIV?

I have see no reason to have faith in the studio behind Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. At some point the audience will inevitably turn on them because you can only get away with size over quality for so long. It's just like Halo, they got away for some time but eventually it caught up to them.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
No it isn’t. MS can bail out Xbox forever if they want to. What enterprise has failed so much, yet it’s still in business and with a core of hardcore followers?

Waiting for everyone else to trip instead of putting the effort to win a race is shit strategy but what else can they do?

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It still annoys me that this is even being treated this way. This is NOT a Microsoft game. They simply opened their wallets and massively overspent to shrink the reach of this game to the least popular platform on the planet.

The idea that it could "redeem" the Xbox is just ridiculous to me. The only thing that can do that is for MS to actually have some truly home grown hits.
Let's say their studios were releasing enough really good games one after the other and everyone was happy we would not care much about when they were bought.

The current situation at xbox makes zero sense, they bought a ton of studios since 2017 or so (so 6 years), all of them must have had one or more game in the oven at their time of purchase. They should have shipped a couple of decent games every year and be on a regular release schedule by now, if they were doing their job right we would be swimming in amazing first party games from both Sony and MS and the console war would be about which ones are the best and which console to buy to play your next 5 games.

Instead we have Sony just rocking and MS being there "games aren't that important to gamers".

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
Starfield should launch bigger than FF16. It also should launch bigger than its closest competitor; Cyberpunk 2077 — which still did like 20 million plus.

The thing is… gamepass for console and pc has completely butchered metrics and selling the game for a fraction of the cost.

So while I do believe player metrics will be great because people still play Skyrim and Fallout 4 today more than most new releases…. Hell, go look at the XBL charts. Skyrim is placed better than Redfall. LOLs. I can’t see them recouping dev costs and marketing. That’s a problem.
The only purpose of SF is to gain more subscribers on Gamepass. If successful, that’s how they recoup the expense.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
The only purpose of SF is to gain more subscribers on Gamepass. If successful, that’s how they recoup the expense.
Are people hyped for it, though? MS suck at marketing… people don’t even know it exists.