Incoming announcement on Xbox titles future exclusivity and publishing

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Ahh the new NEW copium. 'Next week will be better".

Just that statement alone speaks louder than anything. It means MS is about to drop some very bad news and is preparing the herd with influencers.

Again, listen for "xbox ecosystem" "more players" "growing xbox with more player" and all other PR bullshit to simply say: "Yes, we're going 3rd party."

xboxera is on a different copium, though. "Sony too". Next weeks gonna be flooded with xbox tears.

Reactions: Diah

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Sorry for the neogaf post but I think some of this stuff is too good/important not to share:
It’s post 930

Post in thread 'Phil Spencer: announcement next week'
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/phil-spencer-announcement-next-week.1666826/post-268882095
Yeah I saw that, he's been posting quite a bit about how third-party publishers are being screwed by this. Also sounds like a number of ports have been ongoing for some time, but that didn't stop them playing up the exclusivity game at their Developer Direct the other week.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is all pretty remarkable. Strategic plans A, B, C, and D over 20+ years have all went bust. Whatever they announce, it will be an attempt to salvage the current situation. If the goal all along was just to become a profitable multiplatform mega-publisher, then they took the long route and wasted many billions to do it, so this is not where they set out to be.

I think it's clear what has happened, and it's why in hindsight the Activision acquisition will probably rank as one of the all-time greatest industry blunders. I think what happened was Microsoft envisioned securing Call of Duty exclusively on Xbox as a sort of knockout punch over Sony, but the regulators stripped it away. Microsoft refused to give up primarily due to the reputational damage in having to abandon such a big deal that it so publicly sought. Then, once they acquired Activision without exclusive rights over Call of Duty, they found themselves straddled with a monstrous asset that they paid a market premium for, and an asset that was only valuable to begin with because it sold millions of games on non-Xbox hardware. So, swallowing Activision without free reign over Call of Duty was a total poison pill. Nadella and the board of directors then demanded a complete change when they realized that Activision was not only unprofitable on Xbox hardware alone, but also worth a fraction of the $69 billion they paid for it.

Outstanding comment, I fully agree with it. However, people need to stop saying $69B. It was $75B, which is even worse.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
I've noticed that many fanboys are trying to argue that Microsoft is going to make a lot of money by receiving 70% of the revenue from games sold on Playstation and Switch. However, they don't seem to be talking about the fact that Microsoft will also lose 30% of the revenue from third-party games due to the declining popularity of their own platform. Moreover, the quality issues with their games may not attract many players, except for the next iteration of COD.

Reactions: laynelane and Diah

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I still can't believe this happened and it's real and not just a rumor anymore. I think we shouldn't rejoice too soon

Edit

I think he's just giving his opinion. I doubt he has any inside knowledge.

Take a break from the dooming for once and have some fun laughing at the reactions in the meantime.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Outstanding comment, I fully agree with it. However, people need to stop saying $69B. It was $75B, which is even worse.
When spending is so out of control that people just brush aside $6B, imagine how unprofitable the Xbox operation must be at this point.

ABK is going to massively devalue under them, that is already pretty clear.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Which is why MS is most probably pivoting to a form of windows Xbox. People like me have been saying for years that gamepass would eventually destroy third party support on the platform because of low sw sales.
I'm not going to say this is impossible, but I suspect this will not happen, you can already get a console form factor PC with Windows on it... People will not want to buy a gimped PC that only plays games... They'll just put regular Windows on it and maybe have some special marketing, but I doubt it would entice a lot of people, those who want this will just go full PC .

It would be interesting, depending how restrictive the format it.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
He’s also capping for GP. Lol

kong-ming-coping.gif

He's shill dancing to stay in Microsoft's good graces.

• haha