Incoming announcement on Xbox titles future exclusivity and publishing

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023
Xbox has been on the market for 20+ years, these handhelds are new and still pretty expensive and experimental. With that said it's pretty easy to see where this is leading to.

But the sales are basically nil at this point, right? Why get so excited when they have been on the market for a few years now and they are nowhere near taking off? They are niche devices, nothing more.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But the sales are basically nil at this point, right? Why get so excited when they have been on the market for a few years now and they are nowhere near taking off? They are niche devices, nothing more.
I don't know, seems to be one of the best selling items on steam constantly despite the price. If Steam sales matter so much that Sony wants to put all their games there then it must be a big deal. Distribution of Steam Deck is also limited to only a few countries compared to other consoles.

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023
I don't know, seems to be one of the best selling items on steam constantly despite the price. If Steam sales matter so much that Sony wants to put all their games there then it must be a big deal. Distribution of Steam Deck is also limited to only a few countries compared to other consoles.

My mind is blown at how nonsensical your claims are. Steam is just an online store with DRM to buy PC games, machines using Steam OS sell so little it's not even a factor.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
For Steam Deck numbers are 3m I believe.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
My mind is blown at how nonsensical your claims are. Steam is just an online store with DRM to buy PC games, machines using Steam OS sell so little it's not even a factor.
You clearly don't even use Steam, what I said is just a fact. Go look up the best selling list on Steam.

At this exact moment Steam Deck is in forth place in the global Steam best selling list.

Why do you have such strong opinions about something you are clearly completely ignorant about?

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
It's best selling based on revenue though isn't it? SD costs much more than any game, hence will be higher by that alone.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's best selling based on revenue though isn't it? SD costs much more than any game, hence will be higher by that alone.
Wait, weren't you guys just praising PS5 revenue just now? But when it comes to Steam Deck than it suddenly doesn't matter? It seem to be doing pretty well for what it is.

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023
You clearly don't even use Steam, what I said is just a fact. Go look up the best selling list on Steam.

At this exact moment Steam Deck is in forth place in the global Steam best selling list.

Why do you have such strong opinions about something you are clearly completely ignorant about?

It's best selling by revenue, so that's a spurious claim. Tell me how many units the Steam Deck has sold lifetime and per year if you are going to make a dumb claim like that.

I have used Steam, it's just an online store with DRM. Whenever Valve got ambitious with Steam OS and came out with the Steam machines and whatnot, they are either extremely niche products or they never even launched.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's best selling by revenue, so that's a spurious claim. Tell me how many units the Steam Deck has sold lifetime and per year if you are going to make a dumb claim like that.
It's not public, Valve is a private company and aren't forced to share it.

It has sold multiple millions, better than PlayStation device that plays games natively on the go that doesn't even exist.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Wait, weren't you guys just praising PS5 revenue just now? But when it comes to Steam Deck than it suddenly doesn't matter? It seem to be doing pretty well for what it is.
I haven't said anything about PS revenue. I'm pointing out your top selling metric doesn't make sense as a measure for total sales if it's ranked by price, not quantity. Though I'm inclined to lean closer to what you're saying that ForzaJuve in that I think in a similar timespan as Series consoles the SD would sell ~50% of Xbox. So moderately impressive, but still not massive numbers. If they launched in all regions and were available, certainly less likely to be niche than currently.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
For Steam Deck numbers are 3m I believe.

Yeah this was what folks estimated based on the quote from one of the lead engineers working on the Deck when he said millions or something similar.

If it was a huge success they'd share them regardless. They don't, because the sales numbers are tiny. It's ok, it's just a niche product.

Not that I believe they sold any large number, as pointed above, but that argument isn't really sound at face value.
Valve doesn't share how much revenue or basically any numbers, why are they not sharing anything?
Is Valve even a profitable company?

I guess Gabe Newell's 5 yachts while in the process of building 1 more probably means that they'll file for bankruptcy anytime now.

I haven't said anything about PS revenue. I'm pointing out your top selling metric doesn't make sense as a measure for total sales if it's ranked by price, not quantity. Though I'm inclined to lean closer to what you're saying that ForzaJuve in that I think in a similar timespan as Series consoles the SD would sell ~50% of Xbox. So moderately impressive, but still not massive numbers. If they launched in all regions and were available, certainly less likely to be niche than currently.

Valve is pretty clear on that, they're being cost concious, so they're not trying to produce that many of them. I think they wanted to bring more lapsed gamers back unto the Steam platform via a handheld and the fact that they're continuing with it shows it most likely worked well enough to hit whatever internal metric they wanted out of it.

Can't really infer anything more from their communication and/or their current actions.

Reactions: Nimrota
10 Jan 2024
In case any bots were holding out hope that Xbox was going to stick to the console war

See this is what indoctrination looks like, i been to plenty enough townhalls where they set the expectation at the grassroots level and evangelize all staff internally.

This is great news for Xbox staff who have there performance goals tied to growth targets, probably actually achievable now. Most organizations tend to have a 50 / 50 split on personal targets and company growth and both have been absolutely terrible so i bet alot of people were jumping ship because of that alone.

I think the biggest insight from tomorrows announcement will be any new changes to the xbox structure, we all know they are still 3rd place even after the ABK acquisition and probably if anything taken on debt hence the job losses as this tend to go hand in hand with acquisitions.

I think as a platform Xbox will probably look for new verticals for there GAAS games as there simply not enough volume of users to support all the studios, hence why they going to other platforms to find them, what i find bizzare is that they will use the marketing clout from Sony and Nintendo to promote there games......

This is insane as will solidify there status as 3rd party publisher, FFS invest into marketing!