Industry and Video game layoff thread |OT| Any future layoff info please place in here.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Update 1/26/24 from mod team..

This is the mod team... We have merged threads.

As the gaming industry deals with instability and what seems like weekly layoffs or at the very least monthly. I've decided to create a mega thread which will encompass all the layoff threads moving forward. Please any layoff info put in here. If it's something you feel warrants immediate discussion and for the time being you think it needs it's own thread that is fine but ultimately it will end up here.

On Tuesday, the French company said it was cutting 124 positions, mainly based in Canada.

Over the past few months, every team within Ubisoft has been exploring ways to streamline our operations and enhance our collective efficiency so that we are better positioned for success in the long term,” Ubisoft said in a statement issued to VGC.

“In this context, today we announced that we are reorganizing our Canadian studios’ general and administrative functions and reducing headcount in Hybride (our VFX studio based in Montreal) and in our global IT team, which impacts 124 positions overall.”

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's over 100 people after getting the Activision cloud rights.

I expect to see the same outrage as Bungie with 50 pages threads and boycotts 😏

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Considering they are almost 19500 people this is a tiny portion, under 1% of their workforce. But wish them luck, it always sucks getting fired.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
That's over 100 people after getting the Activision cloud rights.

I expect to see the same outrage as Bungie with 50 pages threads and boycotts 😏

crickets GIF

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Era thread got 16 replies

Even here, people were freaking out about sonys GAAS killing everything and evil overlord Bungie. I’m so sick of paying attention to gaming news and all the knee jerk fake ass outrage like people really care about layoffs

Last week people were acting like even mentioning 2023 being a good year for gaming was heartless and cold and no one even pays attention to these lay offs outside of bungie, no sensationalizing headlines.

Same thing with sony raising prices for games, or consoles, or services, the dooming that follows and then the crickets that follow when Microsoft or Nintendo follows suit a couple months later.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Era thread got 16 replies

Even here, people were freaking out about sonys GAAS killing everything and evil overlord Bungie. I’m so sick of paying attention to gaming news and all the knee jerk fake ass outrage like people really care about layoffs

Last week people were acting like even mentioning 2023 being a good year for gaming was heartless and cold and no one even pays attention to these lay offs outside of bungie, no sensationalizing headlines.

Same thing with sony raising prices for games, or consoles, or services, the dooming that follows and then the crickets that follow when Microsoft or Nintendo follows suit a couple months later.
Fortnite went on to beat their all-time concurrent users after they fired more than 800 people. There were layoffs every week for months until Bungie happened and then people lost their shit. Suddenly Geoff needs to make a statement at the Game Awards.

Same for FF16. Plenty of games don't get sales updates every quarter but journalists keep hounding Square and making snide remarks because the game is not on Xbox.

There's a very clear double standard when they can use something to attack Sony.

There's literally ZERO replies in the thread I found on Era. Can you imagine just a few days ago there was complete outrage and thousands of replies in the Bungie thread with calls to boycott and refund the Destiny expansion? They will never admit it but it was all console wars.

Last edited:

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
This is the mod team... We have merged threads.

As the gaming industry deals with instability and what seems like weekly layoffs or at the very least monthly. I've decided to create a mega thread which will encompass all the layoff threads moving forward. Please any layoff info put in here. If it's something you feel warrants immediate discussion and for the time being you think it needs it's own thread that is fine but ultimately it will end up here.

Kotaku has learned that Black Forest Games, the studio behind the recent Destroy All Humans remakes, has cut about 50% or around 50 people earlier today. 24 days into 2024 at least 3,900 video game layoffs have been reported:

Last edited by a moderator: