Industry and Video game layoff thread |OT| Any future layoff info please place in here.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Of the 1900, I wonder how many of them were from like Microsft games studios/ Zenimax or from ABK? Like if most of it was from MGS then thats a big tell on what they plan to do going forward IMO.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Answers my question from the other thread. Sony may want to be scouting Call of duty dev talent from this.

• brain
Reactions: Muddasar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This deal was supposed to be good for the people at Activision Blizzard, or at least that's what we were told.

The greed of these mega corps never ceases to amaze me though. They just bragged about how Overwatch 2, Diable, COD, Starfield and Game Pass were all going great and yet here we are.
One of the biggest fear of the employees in any merge is layoffs.
It always happens so the faster better because you remove the insecurity from the employees that will stay.

It is impossible to not have layoffs after a merger.

Reactions: Jivesh1995

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, I assume that when you are a publisher and developer and acquire publishers and developers there's a lot of redundant work. Two people doing exactly the same in marketing, sales, PR, CM, CS, QA, HR plus in the dev part in engine and tools areas.

For being more productive you merge and coordinate the same teams under a global structure following the same vision, workflow and strategy. But there's redundant fat to cut, so they fire some people.

In addition to this, if the gaming division has been generating loses during a couple decades even after investing dozens of billions in acquisitions I think it's normal that at some point they'll axe it firing underperforming people to reduce costs and replacing them for more promising staff.

I think it's what they should do with Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenberg, Matt Booty and Sarah Bond: they should be fired or at least moved away from the gaming division and replace them with someone very capable and successful in their positions. As they did replacing Matt Booty with Turn 10's Alan Hartman.

• thisistheway
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
If it were a logical thing they would have cut the failing parts (existing xbox staff, whoever worked on their latest releases) and gave the leadership to what makes the most money (someone from ABK).

But no, they kept Phil and his team.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
They waited until right after the developer direct....

season 1 episode 3 GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

Reactions: Luffy123