Industry and Video game layoff thread |OT| Any future layoff info please place in here.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Heads up all as we try to keep all the layoff info in one place we have decided to create a mega thread with all this info. We will move this thread in the next few days to tht |OT| it has been a request from a few posters.The layoff thread will be sticked.

Thank you.

• Shake
Reactions: xollowsob

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That's over 100 people after getting the Activision cloud rights.

I expect to see the same outrage as Bungie with 50 pages threads and boycotts 😏
Well, in the Ubisoft scale it's pretty much nothing considering Ubisoft has over 20000 employees and over 40 studios. Always sucks to see people getting fired but it's part of what happens in companies because they want to improve productivity.

Compared to publishers of similar scale in revenue they have a too big amount of workers and studios and a bit short in profitability. So maybe it's true they need to cut some fat or increase their revenue or profitability.

As the gaming industry deals with instability and what seems like weekly layoffs or at the very least monthly. I've decided to create a mega thread which will encompass all the layoff threads moving forward. Please any layoff info put in here. If it's something you feel warrants immediate discussion and for the time being you think it needs it's own thread that is fine but ultimately it will end up here.
All big companies have yearly reviews, where they fire a few underperforming people and promote other ones. The fired ones often are replaced by more promising hirings. They also often move resources from a project to another or from some division to another to adjust productivity, which often means a few firings or hirings.

In this case, if you go to their careers website you'll see they have a gazillion open job positions.

So they've cut developers jobs across most of the COD studios and a Sig ificant amount.

Are we still expecting a COD game every year?
Well, to release them every two years would be healthier for the devs since they'd have to crunch less and would help improve the quality of the games. It also would free resources that they could use to make other games.

I mean, instead of having the whole Activision working on CoD only that could allow to have some studio working on let's say some Spyro or Crash from time to time.

That would generate less revenue in the sort term but in the long term would give MS a more diversified Activision portfolio specially if some day CoD heavily loses its popularity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Ryan

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Heads up all as we try to keep all the layoff info on one place we have decided to create a mega thread with all this info. We will move this thread in the next few days to tht |OT| it has, been a request from a few posters.

Thank you.
why? this is 22 pages all about Microsoft, it makes no sense to merge it into a thread about other companies. This one should stay on its own. Stuff like Ubisoft laying off 50 people is nowhere near the severity of this layoff, they should be separate. A layoff of this magnitude warrants its own thread.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
why? this is 22 pages all about Microsoft, it makes no sense to merge it into a thread about other companies. This one should stay on its own. Stuff like Ubisoft laying off 50 people is nowhere near the severity of this layoff, they should be separate.
This one is here for now for a reason and not merged there yet. As threads get older they will go in there. This has great discussion and I will keep it around on its own until the well runs dry. All future layoffs should be put in OT thread unless it is major major and deserves its own for awhile. I agree.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Heads up all as we try to keep all the layoff info in one place we have decided to create a mega thread with all this info. We will move this thread in the next few days to tht |OT| it has been a request from a few posters.The layoff thread will be sticked.

Thank you.
Weird. My eyes never stop at the sticky threads and that Heisenberg post about GP was also merged here for no reason when it was a separate discussion.

I really wonder who are these users asking for that and why do you listen to them? A bunch of posts are getting merged and breaks all the conversations.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Weird. My eyes never stop at the sticky threads and that Heisenberg post about GP was also merged here for no reason when it was a separate discussion.

I really wonder who are these users asking for that and why do you listen to them? A bunch of posts are getting merged and breaks all the conversations.
So this is what we have here ppl tht complain about the thousand threads and now ppl tht complain about merging. We can't please all and I could have swore you were one of them about the multiple threads issue but maybe I'm mistaken 🤔. I'm going to make this clear all relevant, similar information will be merged and this thread will stay open because it has great discussion. The forum doesn't need a thousand Palworld posts, layoff posts, etc and merged posts get updated.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Post stolen from Crispy Gamer on GAF and he's right, these journalists that cheer leaded the acquisition need to be called out.

"Hopefully someone makes a compilation of all of the journalists that cheered this merger on while many said this would happen they said it was just "fear mongering" but suddenly switched to "well this was inevitable". Jez saw that he was wrong and seems to be one of the only ones being honest about the whole situation I've said this before about him in many situations he'll swallow his pride and actually tell the damn truth. Destin, Ryan McCaffery, kinda funny etc. coverage was all trash with zero nuance just straight up cheerleaders because Microsoft needed a win I really can't stand our current state of media they just seem to be all compromised"

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
So this is what we have here ppl tht complain about the thousand threads and now ppl tht complain about merging. We can't please all and I could have swore you were one of them about the multiple threads issue 🤔
You're right, there used to be tons of threads made in quick succession with zero replies on the front page and now there's too many merges 🤣

Some of them make no sense and breaks the flow of conversations. A balance need to be reached 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to make this clear all relevant information will be merged and this thread will stay open because it has great discussion.
Good. It's still very active and it's way too soon to move it with all the updates coming out.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Multiple Overwatch Senior Devs were fired

multiple-people-at-team-4-just-got-hit-by-the-layoffs-v0-d7nq34a3jnec1.png