Injunction hearing has been disastrous for Microsoft and destroyed Xbox's remaining reputation

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Microsoft has an army of high paid lawyers on their payroll for this case and they mostly did their job well, casting doubt on the FTC's console foreclosure arguments, throwing a number of red herrings at Judge Corley, who was more than happy to follow them, either because she is out of her depth or because of her conflict of interest. (Her son works for Microsoft)

However no-matter how well the Microsoft lawyers may have performed, they simply couldn't do anything to stop the disclosures required to get this deal through the process. Internal communications, documents, strategy, moral, sentiment and the overall toxic culture of the company have been put on full display.....

Xbox has carefully tried to rebuild their brand since the 2013 launch of the Xbox One, where their anti-consumer policies created a debacle that threw the brand into a tailspin that is still felt to this day.
Since taking over, Phil Spencer has constantly been on the media circuit playing the part of the humble gamer executive, who just wants the best for gamers.... the Xbox community have worshiped him for his constant interaction with the community, playing games with them and appearing on fans youtube shows.
One of his most famous quotes is "When everybody plays, we all win" and he stood on stage with Shawn Layden and Reggie Fils-Aime to promote unity between gamers and brands....

1688165386554.png

Well.... what a crock of shit!

I mean, anyone with half a brain knew he was a snake-oil salesman and that Microsoft was still the toxic company it always had been. But the court drama and badly redacted documents from the past 2 weeks have laid bare how destructive Phil Spencer, Xbox and Microsoft are to gaming as an industry, that they are willing to lay waste to the entire sector as long as they get their way.

A dangerous mix of technical incompetence, where they have not made a decent game or created a successful franchise in more than 15 years and a misplaced disdain or downright hatred for PlayStation along with access now to Microsofts warchest of riches which it seems has been opened not to further the industry or compete in the traditional sense. No, instead it's just easier to buy the industry out.... and so comes our list of incriminating evidence that shows Microsoft isn't in gaming to compete or give customers better value, they are in gaming to monopolize and control it.

• An email written by Matt Booty illustrates their desire to 'Spend Sony out of gaming', note that this was followed by several 3rd party partners of Sony being acquired that year and one of the biggest publishers in the industry being acquired the next year: Zenimax and so on to Activision now.
  • The email also exposed several of Phil Spencers lies about Amazon and Google being the main competition for Microsoft going forward.
  • A list of about 100 developers and publishers was also published from court documents, this showed that mobile may have been a consideration BUT it was certainly not the main concern.... with tens of console only developers and publishers being considered for acquisitions, including Sony and Nintendo themselves.
  • Out of that list Microsoft had gone further and tried to buy Sega and Square and then obviously continued on to Zenimax.... this shows that there is no specific strategy apart from growth by acquisition, growth by taking games away from direct competitors. Growth by offering less choice...contrary to their PR.
  • During the acquisition process Phil Spencer guaranteed gamers that IP's would continue to be published where they had an established audience, however emails between Phil Spencer and Microsofts CFO have revealed that the term 'case by case basis' was used as a smokescreen and Phil Spencer had already decided to make all future games exclusive to Xbox and PC, which are both essentially Microsoft platforms.

From Reddit:
  • Phil Spencer wanting to make Minecraft exclusive ("When everyone plays, we all win")
  • Sensitive Microsoft emails from 2018 forward discussing large scale acquisitions (showing Spencer's excuse for buying ZeniMax to be fiction)
  • Xbox's Matt Bootty floating the idea they can spend Sony "out of bussiness" by taking third-party publishers away from them
  • Phil Spencer email confirming all major ZeniMax games moving forward games will be blocked from PlayStation. Telling his colleagues "We just can't [come out] and say that." Squirming in court. Not recalling critical exchanges.
  • Spencer's email exchanges with Rim Ryan where he refuses to commit to future Activision titles on PlayStation beyond CoD; Ryan coming to the realization Spencer is not a man of his word
  • Xbox misrepresenting the CBB and being exposed
  • Being criticized for flip-flopping on Xbox's business prospects, depending on who their talking to (Xbox is doomed. Xbox has never been stronger. Xbox is doomed)

• Phil Spencer empowering his disciples: "If we can get them [hardcore Xbox fans] to love it, they will evangelize"; a reference to Microsoft's old astroturfing manual "Evangelism is War".
  • In 2021, Matt Booty wrote there was "no effing way" that Xbox was going to put its original games on competing streaming services. Microsoft switched tracks last minute to placate regulators and appear pro consumer
  • Phil Spencer denied a news report about Microsoft seeking to acquire multiple Japanese developers when he knew the report to be accurate.

Credit: @Nitro

This is just the tip of the iceberg and there have been numerous other aspects of Microsofts toxicity and destructive strategy that have been exposed by the FTC vs Microsoft case.

If you would be so kind as to post below more observations that fit with the thread, I will add them and attribute them to the poster.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I honestly can't tell how the FTC is going to come down, but it's clear MS is going to do exclusives that PS owners will want.

Also look for MS to fumble the post-deal hard. We already have documented concerns from Bethesda high-ups toward the MS team. Adding Activision's bureaucracy to the mix is obviously going to create a huge power struggle.

17 Jun 2023
Microsoft has an army of high paid lawyers on their payroll for this case and they mostly did their job well, casting doubt on the FTC's console foreclosure arguments, throwing a number of red herrings at Judge Corley, who was more than happy to follow them, either because she is out of her depth or because of her conflict of interest. (Her son works for Microsoft)

However no-matter how well the Microsoft lawyers may have performed, they simply couldn't do anything to stop the disclosures required to get this deal through the process. Internal communications, documents, strategy, moral, sentiment and the overall toxic culture of the company have been put on full display.....

Xbox has carefully tried to rebuild their brand since the 2013 launch of the Xbox One, where their anti-consumer policies created a debacle that threw the brand into a tailspin that is still felt to this day.
Since taking over, Phil Spencer has constantly been on the media circuit playing the part of the humble gamer executive, who just wants the best for gamers.... the Xbox community have worshiped him for his constant interaction with the community, playing games with them and appearing on fans youtube shows.
One of his most famous quotes is "When everybody plays, we all win" and he stood on stage with Shawn Layden and Reggie Fils-Aime to promote unity between gamers and brands....

View attachment 1771

Well.... what a crock of shit!

I mean, anyone with half a brain knew he was a snake-oil salesman and that Microsoft was still the toxic company it always had been. But the court drama and badly redacted documents from the past 2 weeks have laid bare how destructive Phil Spencer, Xbox and Microsoft are to gaming as an industry, that they are willing to lay waste to the entire sector as long as they get their way.

A dangerous mix of technical incompetence, where they have not made a decent game or created a successful franchise in more than 15 years and a misplaced disdain or downright hatred for PlayStation along with access now to Microsofts warchest of riches which it seems has been opened not to further the industry or compete in the traditional sense. No, instead it's just easier to buy the industry out.... and so comes our list of incriminating evidence that shows Microsoft isn't in gaming to compete or give customers better value, they are in gaming to monopolize and control it.

• An email written by Matt Booty illustrates their desire to 'Spend Sony out of gaming', note that this was followed by several 3rd party partners of Sony being acquired that year and one of the biggest publishers in the industry being acquired the next year: Zenimax and so on to Activision now.
  • The email also exposed several of Phil Spencers lies about Amazon and Google being the main competition for Microsoft going forward.
  • A list of about 100 developers and publishers was also published from court documents, this showed that mobile may have been a consideration BUT it was certainly not the main concern.... with tens of console only developers and publishers being considered for acquisitions, including Sony and Nintendo themselves.
  • Out of that list Microsoft had gone further and tried to buy Sega and Square and then obviously continued on to Zenimax.... this shows that there is no specific strategy apart from growth by acquisition, growth by taking games away from direct competitors. Growth by offering less choice...contrary to their PR.
  • During the acquisition process Phil Spencer guaranteed gamers that IP's would continue to be published where they had an established audience, however emails between Phil Spencer and Microsofts CFO have revealed that the term 'case by case basis' was used as a smokescreen and Phil Spencer had already decided to make all future games exclusive to Xbox and PC, which are both essentially Microsoft platforms.

This is just the tip of the iceberg and there have been numerous other aspects of Microsofts toxicity and destructive strategy that have been exposed by the FTC vs Microsoft case.

If you would be so kind as to post below more observations that fit with the thread, I will add them and attribute them to the poster.
Great work with bullet points.
It's pretty sad that Phil “die-hards” will support him no matter the lies and PR spin, the manipulation reminds me of another.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I honestly can't tell how the FTC is going to come down, but it's clear MS is going to do exclusives that PS owners will want.

Also look for MS to fumble the post-deal hard. We already have documented concerns from Bethesda high-ups toward the MS team. Adding Activision's bureaucracy to the mix is obviously going to create a huge power struggle.
Speaking for myself I can honestly I could give a sht about them keeping everything from abk and zenimax exclusive. Haven’t played a cod in half a decade same for diablo, overwatch. Bethesda is garbage and peaked with Skyrim. Xenimax has released 4 games this gen so far and they all flopped commercially. They over paid for zenimax and are over paying for abk Xbox gamers or going to realize very soon they didn’t get dck but some bragging rights.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't think it's been that disastrous. They have an army of corporate "journalists" working hard to downplay the exposure of Microsoft's lies and ill intent while seizing on every minor thing about Sony and acting as if they're the devil.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Definitely hasn't been disastrous but the mask and blinders been pulled off and pulled back. Anyone who isn't partisan has seen them for who they are.

I've definitely seen a slight shift in perception of this deal and towards Microsoft but not the shift we needed.

If the FTC scores a victory then that's when you'll see the media hacks forced to bite their overlords hands....

All in All... Sony came out of this the winner surprisingly in the end.

Nitro

Icon Extra
10 Apr 2023
North Pole
From Reddit:
  • Phil Spencer wanting to make Minecraft exclusive ("When everyone plays, we all win")
  • Sensitive Microsoft emails from 2018 forward discussing large scale acquisitions (showing Spencer's excuse for buying ZeniMax to be fiction)
  • Xbox's Matt Bootty floating the idea they can spend Sony "out of bussiness" by taking third-party publishers away from them
  • Phil Spencer email confirming all major ZeniMax games moving forward games will be blocked from PlayStation. Telling his colleagues "We just can't [come out] and say that." Squirming in court. Not recalling critical exchanges.
  • Spencer's email exchanges with Rim Ryan where he refuses to commit to future Activision titles on PlayStation beyond CoD; Ryan coming to the realization Spencer is not a man of his word
  • Xbox misrepresenting the CBB and being exposed
  • Being criticized for flip-flopping on Xbox's business prospects, depending on who their talking to (Xbox is doomed. Xbox has never been stronger. Xbox is doomed)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I don't think it's been that disastrous. They have an army of corporate "journalists" working hard to downplay the exposure of Microsoft's lies and ill intent while seizing on every minor thing about Sony and acting as if they're the devil.

Yeah but I think before, they went unchallenged.... now people can look at the facts from the court, the actual documents and see what is really going on.

But the influencers, media, shills and others on the take from Microsoft are always gonna be a huge issue as long as they make consoles IMO.

Reactions: anonpuffs

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I've never liked Phil. He always struck me as a person whose actions don't match his words. And treating your loyal fans like a mindless army and everyone else as really dumb cemented that dislike. It's stuff like this that shows that:

This and other transparent attempts to deflect criticism are a specialty of his. Over the years, I often wondered what happened to the XBox game pipeline. It's like they stopped caring. Now we know, without a doubt, that Phil and other MS execs are what happened. In a field where others focus not only on profit but also giving customers good games, we have MS with their age-old strategy of control and removal of competition and consumer choice.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
  • Phil Spencer empowering his disciples: "If we can get them [hardcore Xbox fans] to love it, they will evangelize"; a reference to Microsoft's old astroturfing manual "Evangelism is War".

I feel like I missed so many big ones...

But I guess there was just so much, I had to start somewhere!

Reactions: Nitro

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Injunction hearing has been disastrous for Microsoft and destroyed Xbox's remaining reputation
Nothing about it has been "disastrous for Microsoft" because the majority doesn't care what was said in the Injunction hearing.
The majority plays games. They go were the games are. They aren't some hardcore fanboys who are constantly tweeting about "Ponies" and "Xbots" on gaming forums and social media. They will go where the games are.
In the end they will think "Oh, Call of Duty, Diablo, Starcraft, Minecraft, Warcraft, Overwatch, Starfield, Fallout, Indiana Jones, Forza, Halo, Gears, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, etc. are Xbox & PC exclusive? Let's get an Xbox or a Gaming PC." And that's it. Just like during the Xbox 360 generation. No one cares what Phil Spencer said. Most people in Europe don't even know what an Injunction is, what a CMA/FTC is or that there was a Injunction Hearing with Microsoft and Activision-Blizzard in the USA.

In a few years Microsoft will own 20+ 1st party studios + ZeniMax Media + Activision-Blizzard + Sega. And you can play all their games on Xbox or on a Gaming PC. And you don't have to pay $70 or 80€ for one game. Just pay a few dollars/euros for Game Pass and play all these games immediately.

All in All... Sony came out of this the winner surprisingly in the end.
Sony will be a lot but certainly not a winner. Activision-Blizzard will be a Microsoft company in a few weeks. And after that, MS will go after Sega.
That's not a W for Sony. Rather a big L and a death blow for the PlayStation brand and Sony's ecosystem.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Sony will be a lot but certainly not a winner. Activision-Blizzard will be a Microsoft company in a few weeks. And after that, MS will go after Sega.
That's not a W for Sony. Rather a big L and a death blow for the PlayStation brand and Sony's ecosystem.

Maybe reading comprehension isn't a strong area for you, but Sony definitely came out of this thing the winner. They came out looking better than Microsoft. Whether you wanna let your delusions clout your reality... Well that's a personal problem for you.

Sega ain't selling to Microsoft, but keep the dream alive.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Maybe reading comprehension isn't a strong area for you, but Sony definitely came out of this thing the winner. They came out looking better than Microsoft. Whether you wanna let your delusions clout your reality... Well that's a personal problem for you.

"They came out of this thing a winner" because Microsoft is going to own Call of Duty, Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, Overwatch, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, etc. and a ton of talented devs and development studios. And then they know they can go after Sega next.
Man if that's a W for Sony..... I don't wanna see a Sony L.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
"They came out of this thing a winner" because Microsoft is going to own Call of Duty, Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, Overwatch, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, etc. and a ton of talented devs and development studios. And then they know they can go after Sega next.
Man if that's a W for Sony..... I don't wanna see a Sony L.
Your incoherent replies won't change the reality of what I said.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

Agreed on this. It turns out reality was quite different from the 'evil Sony' PR campaign created by MS. It's been interesting to see articles like this one popping up too: