Insomniac: 1 AAA game can fund 3 mid-sized games

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
sony fans are quickly realizing that jim ryan was right about needing to create successful gaas.

And that Shawn Layden most likely would have been trying to do the same thing.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Sony is now going to be pressuring Insomniac to make budget cuts. Even though ya’ll hate it. There’s a reason why Sony is focusing on GAAS. It’s to recoup cost of these very high unsustainable costs of AAA development. This is what Shawn Layden feared.

sony fans are quickly realizing that jim ryan was right about needing to create successful gaas.

MBG is not a "Sony fan", nor does he speak for Sony fans. That clown is an emotional crybaby that will post anything and everything for views and donations. He's by far one of the dumbest gaming "influencers", and that's saying a lot. He makes Colteastwood look smart.

Shawn is not what Sony needs, and he wasn't right about anything. Jim definitely wasn't right about anything which is why he's gone now.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
nongkris

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

What on earth are you talking about. You'd have to be actively denying reality and all of the cancelled GAAS projects to come to that conclusion. He wasted millions and years of ND and Insomniacs time on their cancelled multiplayer projects.

That debate has squarely ended with antI Jim Ryan people being correct as we've been saying for months

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

We’ve been trying to tell people. People think these people that run these companies are village idiots. Yes they make mistakes, but they understand business. I don’t like GAAS, but Sony is going to have to do two things. Either keeping focusing on these GAAS, hoping one hits big to help offset cost for these big AAA games. Or downscale most of their AAA SP games, and only give big budgets to 1 or 2 studios.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
MBG is not a "Sony fan", nor does he speak for Sony fans. That clown is an emotional crybaby that will post anything and everything for views and donations. He's by far one of the dumbest gaming "influencers", and that's saying a lot. He makes Colteastwood look smart.

Shawn is not what Sony needs, and he wasn't right about anything. Jim definitely wasn't right about anything which is why he's gone now.
I disagree completely, other than being cringe and beggarly MBG is basically someone who has milquetoast takes, and I think he leans too far into giving Xbox/their talking points the benefit of the doubt given that he used to be an xbox fanboy. However, he's nowhere near as dumb as Colt, who has to be borderline institutionalizable because his paycheck requires him to have the dumbest takes imaginable.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
We’ve been trying to tell people. People think these people that run these companies are village idiots. Yes they make mistakes, but they understand business. I don’t like GAAS, but Sony is going to have to do two things. Either keeping focusing on these GAAS, hoping one hits big to help offset cost for these big AAA games. Or downscale most of their AAA SP games, and only give big budgets to 1 or 1 studios.

Yep, if sony had a a major GAAS under its belt, or a couple mid sized one they’d probably be a lot less budget conscience then they are right now. Sony is going to go hardcore into cost-cutting over the next couple of years and people aren’t going to like it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The problem is nintendo can sell these “mid sized” games for 60 and 70 dollars, sony would be lucky to get away with selling them for 50.
Nintendo has sold exactly one game for 70 dollars and it was a GotY contender that took multiple studios 6 years to make. It had a longer dev time than, for instance, H:FW. Additionally, plenty of their smaller titles start out at less than 60. And, of course, if you really wanted to compete with Nintendo there... just do it. Put less money into graphics, mocap and celeb actors while keeping the gameplay and engine specifics/procedural stuff.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I disagree completely, other than being cringe and beggarly MBG is basically someone who has milquetoast takes, and I think he leans too far into giving Xbox/their talking points the benefit of the doubt given that he used to be an xbox fanboy. However, he's nowhere near as dumb as Colt, who has to be borderline institutionalizable because his paycheck requires him to have the dumbest takes imaginable.
Dude no....MBG is dumb as a rock. He had a super cringey meltdown over the ABK deal where it looked like he was about to burst into tears. I don't think he was acting. Colt is stupid, but it's at least obvious that he's mostly being facetious and doing all this just for the money.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Nintendo has sold exactly one game for 70 dollars and it was a GotY contender that took multiple studios 6 years to make. It had a longer dev time than, for instance, H:FW. Additionally, plenty of their smaller titles start out at less than 60. And, of course, if you really wanted to compete with Nintendo there... just do it. Put less money into graphics, mocap and celeb actors while keeping the gameplay and engine specifics/procedural stuff.

Sony got shit for charging 70 dollars for Returnal you think people would be ok with them charging 60 for something like metroid dread? Lol

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Sony got shit for charging 70 dollars for Returnal you think people would be ok with them charging 60 for something like metroid dread? Lol
Sony and everyone else got shit for upping their default game price from 60 to 70 and rightfully so. Even Nintendo got pushback when they did the stealth reveal of TotK's price rise. You're totally overlooking the fact that that game was a spear-tip for a price rise. Just googling around, Dread got pushback on its price too.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
so. Even Nintendo got pushback when they did the stealth reveal of TotK's price rise
Think Season 5 GIF by New Girl

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
All was forgiven when the game came out and was worth it but you must not hang around Nintendo threads too often if you didn't see people getting pissed about it.

I remember there being some discussion for like one evening about it. Most people did not put up a huge fight about it like they did everytime returnal was mentioned.

And that kind of applies to a lot of Nintendo’s games. No one complains when a kirby remaster is 50-60 dollars or mario rpg remake, advanced wars 1+2, etc.

Sony do not have the luxury of creating such high profit margin mid budget games

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Sony and everyone else got shit for upping their default game price from 60 to 70 and rightfully so. Even Nintendo got pushback when they did the stealth reveal of TotK's price rise. You're totally overlooking the fact that that game was a spear-tip for a price rise. Just googling around, Dread got pushback on its price too.
It wasn’t rightfully so. We’re now seeing why they raised the price of games to $70.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
“Put less money into graphics, mocap and celeb actors while keeping the gameplay and engine specifics/procedural stuff“.

Nah. I’m good on that.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony shouldn't be laying off staff, especially not from their most productive studios. Stupid management, Hulst needs to go.

• they're_right_you_know

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Sony shouldn't be laying off staff, especially not from their most productive studios. Stupid management, Hulst needs to go.
Exactly, Insomniac is the type of studio that should be growing.... Meanwhile, they don't mind pumping countless resources into unproven GAAS junk 😑

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Layoffs are unfortunately happening across the industry. MS just laid off 10,000 devs from Bethesda, a studio that was making their biggest game in a decade and the coalition.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Layoffs are unfortunately happening across the industry. MS just laid off 10,000 devs from Bethesda, a studio that was making their biggest game in a decade and the coalition.
that's not a defense. insomniac is profitable and productive. i would understand if they were bloated and underperforming but they're not.

• they're_right_you_know

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony spends way too much on ineffective and dated marketing.

They have a direct line to their costumers and refuse to use it properly or improve the way they communicate.

I love me some AAA games but not everyone needs to be a huge open world game, I would love more games like Astro's Playroom, R&C, Bloodborne and Returnal.