Insomniac: 1 AAA game can fund 3 mid-sized games

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I really don't buy this whole competition is good thing. I mean people consider PS1 & PS2 the holy Grail of PlayStation eras lol.

What happened was Sony got comfortable they saw all that PS+ money rolling in and all that wonderful 30% cut from all the major multiplayer games coming... It was the generation their platform became the go to Multiplayer hub for every major game.... They never thought they'd lose Activision or Bethesda next gen.

They should have seen the writing on the wall the minute Minecraft was snatched up. And they had to call Microsoft to ask if they were gonna remove the game from PlayStation. They should have went out and start future proofing their strategies.

It's just laziness and greed. Jim literally said his plan this generation was to consolidate around 3rd party. Xbox definitely listened and pulled the rug from under them..
Disagree competition is good in every industry. The reason why PS1 and PS2 were great was because Sony was the new kid and they were trying to prove themselves in the industry. Then PS3 came and what happened? They got comfortable. You only need to see what happened with Madden. When 2k was around Madden was good, then EA gets the exclusive rights and Madden is mid to shit for the last 20 years. You see it in the tv industry too, LG was resting on their laurels with OLED. Then Sony and Samsung made QD-OLED, now LG wants catch up with MLA tech. The same thing happened in wrestling. Wrestling was at it’s best when there was competing companies like WCW. Then Vince buys the competition and wrestling is never the same. It’s human nature. Once you dominate and you don’t feel a challenge, most people become lazy and complacent. You need other companies to push you.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I really don't buy this whole competition is good thing. I mean people consider PS1 & PS2 the holy Grail of PlayStation eras lol.

What happened was Sony got comfortable they saw all that PS+ money rolling in and all that wonderful 30% cut from all the major multiplayer games coming... It was the generation their platform became the go to Multiplayer hub for every major game.... They never thought they'd lose Activision or Bethesda next gen.

They should have seen the writing on the wall the minute Minecraft was snatched up. And they had to call Microsoft to ask if they were gonna remove the game from PlayStation. They should have went out and start future proofing their strategies.

It's just laziness and greed. Jim literally said his plan this generation was to consolidate around 3rd party. Xbox definitely listened and pulled the rug from under them..
I do agree that they should have been more aggressive with acquisitions. From 2011 to 2019 they only purchased one studio and that was Insomniac. They should have known that MS was going to get des eventually.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Disagree competition is good in every industry. The reason why PS1 and PS2 were great was because Sony was the new kid and they were trying to prove themselves in the industry. Then PS3 came and what happened? They got comfortable. You only need to see what happened with Madden. When 2k was around Madden was good, then EA gets the exclusive rights and Madden is mid to shit for the last 20 years. You see it in the tv industry too, LG was resting on their laurels with OLED. Then Sony and Samsung made QD-OLED, now LG wants catch up with MLA tech. The same thing happened in wrestling. Wrestling was at it’s best when there was competing companies like WCW. Then Vince buys the competition and wrestling is never the same. It’s human nature. Once you dominate and you don’t feel a challenge, most people become lazy and complacent. You need other companies to push you.
Again beg to differ In-Fact PS3 was the one generation they didn't get comfortable if anything they tried to do too much. The video game industry has never rewarded anyone who took advantage of them (consumers). Playstation made some missteps and the gaming audience reacted and gave them the finger at first. If Playstation should ever try anything to really shift public perception against them, we'd see the same reaction. Xbox 360 for instance wasn't even selling that well until Sony stumbled.

Playstation owners keep them in-check not the competition.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I do agree that they should have been more aggressive with acquisitions. From 2011 to 2019 they only purchased one studio and that was Insomniac. They should have known that MS was going to get des eventually.
They already had the winning formula from 2009 - 2013... Why they abandoned it? I'll never know. In-Fact they already had so many studios back then that would have transitioned them into the GaaS era and they shut every single one of them down.... Now they are scrambling to buy up and recruit GaaS studios lol.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Nah.

They just forget that these mid-sized games like Miles Morales used the engine and 90% of the assets from the AAA game.

That is why it dev cost is small.

If they had to build a mid-sized game without using the cost from the AAA their budget should be way higher.

Venom will be the next mid-sized game and it cost will be small because it will use all the work already done and paid in Spider-Man 2.

It is trick… because you are using the AAA costs for indirectly to build these mid-sized games.
So for me it just part of the AAA long term project.

Build an AAA base that pays itself.
Released 2-3 mid-sized using that AAA base and profit.
That is how we got these stand alone expansions like Miles Morales, The Lost Legacy, Left Behind, etc.
I don't think Insomniac or any developer of their teir is that stupid. They did their calculations and they know what they are doing.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This is a pseudo GaaS approach with the marvel stuff . Recycle engine and assets over and over. Yearly smaller releases reusing anything and everything.

Let’s see if it can cheaply fund the development of games that aren’t clones. I’m fine with this…. just don’t like seeing stuff like Miles marketed as full releases when they’re not. I’m sure they’ll be priced somewhat accordingly when necessary.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Again beg to differ In-Fact PS3 was the one generation they didn't get comfortable if anything they tried to do too much. The video game industry has never rewarded anyone who took advantage of them (consumers). Playstation made some missteps and the gaming audience reacted and gave them the finger at first. If Playstation should ever try anything to really shift public perception against them, we'd see the same reaction. Xbox 360 for instance wasn't even selling that well until Sony stumbled.

Playstation owners keep them in-check not the competition.
But my point still stands that competition is important. Because without the success of the 360, Sony doesn‘t put strong focus into their 1st party studios. Most 3rd parties left Sony in the early PS3 era to go to Xbox, and it wasn’t just MS’s money that did that. Most developers openly talked about how the PS3 was a nightmare to develop for. So PS, put much more of a focus into their 1st party. That was the generation that ND, Guerilla, and SP went to the next level. Also because of the 360, Sony improved PSN and they created their own achievement system, which became better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
They already had the winning formula from 2009 - 2013... Why they abandoned it? I'll never know. In-Fact they already had so many studios back then that would have transitioned them into the GaaS era and they shut every single one of them down.... Now they are scrambling to buy up and recruit GaaS studios lol.
This I agree with. They should of never closed Zipper and Evolution.