Insomniac: 1 AAA game can fund 3 mid-sized games

ElCapitano

11 Mar 2023
I'm hoping Naughty Dogs new IP is mid size so they can get it out by late 2026 at the latest.

Then get Part 3 with a cut back multiplayer mode out for 2027.

Best way to save their Gen and keep people happy at this point imo

If they go too ambitious with a crazy long full IP they might only get 1 new game out all gen....

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's funny cause to me, RA and Mm didn't feel like smaller games. They felt like great full games and I was satisfied at the end.
Same here, for me they are big enough. I prefer games being 10-20 hours long to me (meaning 7-15 for the average), I don't need games being way longer, as the typical open world game is.

The thing is top seller games like GTA, AC, Horizon, Spider-Man etc. are crazy big games, so they keep betting there. But should look at games like TLOU, Uncharted or GoW, who algo are super successful while being way shorter.

Sony is now going to be pressuring Insomniac to make budget cuts. Even though ya’ll hate it. There’s a reason why Sony is focusing on GAAS. It’s to recoup cost of these very high unsustainable costs of AAA development. This is what Shawn Layden feared.

Yes, the industry knew, not only Shawn, since many years ago that every generation the budgets of AAA grow a lot, but game prices and sales don't increase that much. So AAA publishers keep trying to find new revenue sources, as GaaS, expanding to new platforms or to milk these IPs in non-gaming areas (like cinema or tv shows).

Specially because since many years ago the revenue from addons (dlc/iap/passes) is replacing the revenue from game sales slowly year after yeaar. Which means non-GaaS AAA games will have a smaller market in the long term.

So yes, they have to find new revenue sources plus try to reduce the costs of non-GaaS AAA games to make them more sustainable. Sony is lucky that all their big AAA ending being huge sales success, so in the short term they don't have to worry too much. But looking at the future, they have to do something.

Regarding that supposed info of Sony askind to fire a few dozen guys to Insomniac, do we have any source? Because all I found is a screenshot of a txt file in a forum, that any random people could have written. So I'd be pretty skeptical with it

Last edited:
  • Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They need a label like XBOX@ID or whatever they brings some of those smaller funded games under their banner.
PlayStation Indies is the Sony equivalent to XBOX@ID, they support select indies with funding, marketing, tech support and more (the type of help in both cases is a per case scenario).

In exchange depending on the case they demand something that ranges from to don't market it with the competition and secure parity (in case of only marketing deal) to -in very rare cases- full exclusivity, being the most common case some months of timed console exclusivity.

Comparing them, XB gets more quantity and it's easier to sign with them. PS goes more for quality, sign less games but try to make sure they'll work well on a certain niche.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sony is now going to be pressuring Insomniac to make budget cuts. Even though ya’ll hate it. There’s a reason why Sony is focusing on GAAS. It’s to recoup cost of these very high unsustainable costs of AAA development. This is what Shawn Layden feared.

Now?

I believe pressure to cut budget exists since ever in gaming.
That is how it always worked.

No studio has free budget to use from investors.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Same here, for me they are big enough. I prefer games being 10-20 hours long to me (meaning 7-15 for the average), I don't need games being way longer, as the typical open world game is.

The thing is top seller games like GTA, AC, Horizon, Spider-Man etc. are crazy big games, so they keep betting there. But should look at games like TLOU, Uncharted or GoW, who algo are super successful while being way shorter.

Yes, the industry knew, not only Shawn, since many years ago that every generation the budgets of AAA grow a lot, but game prices and sales don't increase that much. So AAA publishers keep trying to find new revenue sources, as GaaS, expanding to new platforms or to milk these IPs in non-gaming areas (like cinema or tv shows).

Specially because since many years ago the revenue from addons (dlc/iap/passes) is replacing the revenue from game sales slowly year after yeaar. Which means non-GaaS AAA games will have a smaller market in the long term.

So yes, they have to find new revenue sources plus try to reduce the costs of non-GaaS AAA games to make them more sustainable. Sony is lucky that all their big AAA ending being huge sales success, so in the short term they don't have to worry too much. But looking at the future, they have to do something.

Regarding that supposed info of Sony askind to fire a few dozen guys to Insomniac, do we have any source? Because all I found is a screenshot of a txt file in a forum, that any random people could have written. So I'd be pretty skeptical with it
Yeah Sony is lucky that their exclusives like GOW 2018 took a big jump in sales, compared to the PS3 era. Also new IPs like HZD and GOT became a success. Because of their exclusives last generation sold how it did in the PS3 generation? Forget it. They definitely would be doing something new.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I'm hoping Naughty Dogs new IP is mid size so they can get it out by late 2026 at the latest.

Then get Part 3 with a cut back multiplayer mode out for 2027.

Best way to save their Gen and keep people happy at this point imo

If they go too ambitious with a crazy long full IP they might only get 1 new game out all gen....
Nah. They shouldn’t make a mid size new IP. If they made a mid size game, it should be if they go back to Uncharted.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah Sony is lucky that their exclusives like GOW 2018 took a big jump in sales, compared to the PS3 era. Also new IPs like HZD and GOT became a success. Because of their exclusives last generation sold how it did in the PS3 generation? Forget it. They definitely would be doing something new.
According to Hermen and Jimbo, around half of the record number of 1st (includes 2nd) party games they have under development are new IPs.

And yes, during PS4/PS5 their big exclusives are selling way more than during the PS3 era. I'd say it isn't because of using this or that IP, or because their quality (the PS3 ones were great too). I'd say they sell more due to a mixture of having a bigger userbase (even if -at least still- not as big as the PS2 one) and doing now a way better/effective job in marketing than they did in the PS3 days.

AAA is fine if every game isn’t goddamn Marvel.
Sony has over two dozen 1st party games under development, and apparently the Marvel ones -as far as we know- are under half a dozen of them. Around half of these over two dozen are new IPs.

I felt TLOU2 was too long, I'd have removed Abby's half or would have reduced it to 30 minutes or so.

I'd love to see their next games being a new Uncharted, a new IP and TLO3 being each one 7-15h long games, as the Uncharted and TLOU1 games were.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
At this point it's simply the arrogance, short-sightedness of the PS4 era that's catching up to them. There's no easy fix to it either. They had opportunities to get some major GaaS games and fumbled the bag.

They threw Efficient studios like Ready At Dawn, Hello Games, Quantic Dreams, Super Massive, Evolution Studios under the bus

They passed up on heavily buying up CAPCOM shares when they were knocking on their doors for financial assistance.

Should have bought majority stake in Genshins studio

Rocket League devs should have been acquired

Not remastering semi GaaS projects like Uncharted 2 Multiplayer and Warhawk.

Uncharted 4 - Multiplayer should have been a huge Free 2 Play game with a support studio assigned to it

My fave gaming brand but greed has blinded them since 2014. Hope they'll weather the storms of the next couple years

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
At this point it's simply the arrogance, short-sightedness of the PS4 era that's catching up to them. There's no easy fix to it either. They had opportunities to get some major GaaS games and fumbled the bag.

They threw Efficient studios like Ready At Dawn, Hello Games, Quantic Dreams, Super Massive, Evolution Studios under the bus

They passed up on heavily buying up CAPCOM shares when they were knocking on their doors for financial assistance.

Uncharted 4 - Multiplayer should have been a huge Free 2 Play game with a support studio assigned to it

My fave gaming brand but greed has blinded them since 2014. Hope they'll weather the storms of the next couple years
Yoshida and Layden were in charge when all of this went down btw. They don’t get enough blame.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom and Danja

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yoshida and Layden were in charge when all of this went down btw. They don’t get enough blame.
Absolutely agree about Shu... He's made so many terrible decisions then bounced lol. Layden to an extent too though I think he at least saw the impending storms close towards the end but then got booted.

But fully agree.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Absolutely agree about Shu... He's made so many terrible decisions then bounced lol. Layden to an extent too though I think he at least saw the impending storms close towards the end but then got booted.

But fully agree.
Well, he didn’t bounce. Jim demoted him for his European boy. Lol

Reactions: Danja

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Could have also had Atlus and From Software for very little money, both very close partners when they were sold.

Sony got way too comfortable during the PS4 gen and even more so now, they take PlayStation successes for granted.

Reactions: Danja

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

This is why competition is important. Both Nintendo and MS were disasters with the Wii U and the Xbox One. That Sony rested on their laurels.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This is why competition is important. Both Nintendo and MS were disasters with the Wii U and the Xbox One. That Sony rested on their laurels.
I really don't buy this whole competition is good thing. I mean people consider PS1 & PS2 the holy Grail of PlayStation eras lol.

What happened was Sony got comfortable they saw all that PS+ money rolling in and all that wonderful 30% cut from all the major multiplayer games coming... It was the generation their platform became the go to Multiplayer hub for every major game.... They never thought they'd lose Activision or Bethesda next gen.

They should have seen the writing on the wall the minute Minecraft was snatched up. And they had to call Microsoft to ask if they were gonna remove the game from PlayStation. They should have went out and start future proofing their strategies.

It's just laziness and greed. Jim literally said his plan this generation was to consolidate around 3rd party. Xbox definitely listened and pulled the rug from under them..

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters