instead of price drops, Sony is raising the price of the PS5 in Japan

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
the price of the console is now $200 more than it used to be in 2020, $700

PlayStation Japan comment section are just people saying PC now has become a better platform than PlayStation, consoles no longer have the price they used to last gen, the value were in either price or exclusives, now that exclusives are gone and prices are raising... well...

Wish we had smarter people making threads. This has nothing to do with the system not having games and them abandoning Console. It has everything to do with Japan's stock market and decreasing of the YEN.

What use to be 100(Yen)= $1 US, now is somewhere 100(Y)= .69 cents.

Japan's July core consumer prices up 2.7% on higher energy costs​

Screenshot 2024-08-27 123707.png

Maybe next time 5 minutes of research could help make a better more informed thread.......

But that would go against your narrative wouldn't it?

You act similar to someone who use to be on Neogaf.......

Screenshot 2024-08-27 124052.png

You to might be related.........

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Even though the price increase is due to the economic situation in Japan.

I think Sony really need to make a concession here. The console sales in Japan are already not great, it's averaging 25k per week. You risk heading into 10k-20k weekly sales with this increase maybe even worse.

The pro feels like it will be DOA in Japan.

Reactions: Umar and Johnic

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Wish we had smarter people making threads. This has nothing to do with the system not having games and them abandoning Console. It has everything to do with Japan's stock market and decreasing of the YEN.

What use to be 100(Yen)= $1 US, now is somewhere 100(Y)= .69 cents.

View attachment 5485

Maybe next time 5 minutes of research could help make a better more informed thread.......

But that would go against your narrative wouldn't it?

You act similar to someone who use to be on Neogaf.......

View attachment 5486

You to might be related.........
this entire post is accurate. and yes dude gives major senjutsu sage vibes

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Papacheeks

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
For warriors,exclusives equal value. BTW what the heck is going on in Japan? That is way more than an inflation related price adjustment.

I mean thats how the industry has been for decades right, otherwise no1 has a selling point. Imagine

Even Valve has exclusives. They are the only 3rd party from before that isnt releasing there games on consoles or porting there older games.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Even though the price increase is due to the economic situation in Japan.

I think Sony really need to make a concession here. The console sales in Japan are already not great, it's averaging 25k per week. You risk heading into 10k-20k weekly sales with this increase maybe even worse.

The pro feels like it will be DOA in Japan.
Thats why they have PC. And I would assume a handheld from them is probably on the cards now that PSVR2 funding has been cut. I think we see a handheld or hear about it more next year.

I also have heard there was talks to them trying to get Portal to work on PC through the dedicated PSN launcher? But I don't know if thats still a long ways off or still in planning phase.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
If they dont profit you dont get the AAA games you want at the quality you want. It's that simple.

Sony makes profits elsewhere. They can mitigate it.

Pretty much these two post on resetera-

Seriously. And then saying this is a response to global markets is hilarious. Yes, the yen is doing poorly, the prices on things in Japan has gone up but that doesn't mean the buying power or the salaries of the Japanese people have gone up. This much of a price increase is being done by Sony for the same reason they jacked up prices of PSN access, because they think they can get away with it.
Click to shrink...

Also people conveniently ignore that the PS5 is now cheaper to produce than it was at launch............and that currency fluctuations in other markets that are positive would likely more than offset these negative ones (considering the relatively modest market Sony now have in Japan).

But no, still got to stan for their favorite corpo - that is making record profits - whilst simultaneously laying off thousands of workers - and bumping prices across the board (hardware, software and subs) so shareholders can get more value.
Click to shrink...

First party games won’t stop being produced just because they keep the price the same or lower it. Sony is not deep in the red anymore. They make plenty of money to afford to make losses to gain marketshare.

Last edited:

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
The Japanese have been gloating the whole gen about how they supposedly prefer PC and handhelds.

Get that ass taxed, then.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Sony makes profits elsewhere. They can mitigate it.

Pretty many much these two post on resetera-

First party games won’t stop being produced just because they keep the price the same or lower it. Sony is not deep in the red anymore. They make plenty of money to afford to make losses to gain marketshare.
They could decide to stop producing consoles if they feel like not enough money is being made. Sony gets the most crap about prices in the gaming discourse online no matter what. Personally I'm not concerned what Japanese have to pay for thier console. I have a PS5 already and the thing has outsold PS3 and will overtake PS4 in Japan if it hasn't happened already.

24 Jun 2022
But you know they are coming so what's the big deal?

Do we know they're coming? Any one or more of those games could get cancelled between now and release. Nothing is guaranteed, to think otherwise is foolish.

We're also looking at a scenario where, so far, the only new non-GAAS IP SIE have successfully introduced this gen is Returnal. The only other potential candidate is Corey Balrog's game. Everything else is either a sequel or a remake building upon mostly-safe and established design rules.

It's a far cry from the PS4 and especially PS3 days when SIE seemed to have multiple new AAA and AA traditional IP established every year, or every couple of years.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
They could decide to stop producing consoles if they feel like not enough money is being made. Sony gets the most crap about prices in the gaming discourse online no matter what. Personally I'm not concerned what Japanese have to pay for thier console. I have a PS5 already and the thing has outsold PS3 and will overtake PS4 in Japan if it hasn't happened already.

Not passing PS4 by much if all with that price now.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
people here are exaclty like this: talks shit about Xbox daily, don't want to hear criticism about PlayStation for the same reasons they trash Xbox for, if you do that, you're doomposting, the corporate slaves like @mibu no ookami are daily posting financial stuff no core player cares about, he'll be the one defending PlayStation executives once they start porting games to Switch 2 in the coming years, y'all need to figure out a lane and stay on it, cause moving goalposts daily as Sony changes and kills their core product day by day making it an undesirable place to be in won't cut it anymore, everybody is seeing the hypocrisy and bias.

Etfilio thinks that Sony making good business decisions to keep themselves competitive is somehow a bad thing.

And, yeah, I wouldn't care if they put games on Switch 2, has no impact on me. The Switch 2 will probably be the first Nintendo product I own since the Gameboy Advance.

Somehow you think you're right even though the logic doesn't follow.

• Games are getting more expensive to develop
  • Consoles aren't growing as a market
  • Single player games are shrinking as a percentage of the market
  • Games are taking longer to develop meaning less revenue in between games for long periods of time
  • Sony's potential competitors have significantly more funds than they do and can easily buy up every 3rd party

I personally have no interest in GaaS games, but I understand Sony's need to invest in them. I understand their need to look outside the console market for additional revenue.

All of these things protect our hobby.