instead of price drops, Sony is raising the price of the PS5 in Japan

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Of course I'd like them to be making it cheaper so more people could buy it easier....

It is kinda annoying and feels like they are pushing people away rather than trying to attract them.

But at the same time I understand the currency issue.

I did think that with ps5 pro coming a price cut would be more likely....guess not

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
people here are exaclty like this: talks shit about Xbox daily, don't want to hear criticism about PlayStation for the same reasons they trash Xbox for, if you do that, you're doomposting, the corporate slaves like @mibu no ookami are daily posting financial stuff no core player cares about, he'll be the one defending PlayStation executives once they start porting games to Switch 2 in the coming years, y'all need to figure out a lane and stay on it, cause moving goalposts daily as Sony changes and kills their core product day by day making it an undesirable place to be in won't cut it anymore, everybody is seeing the hypocrisy and bias.
Stop yapping. Just back up your claim. That we knew, that you are not just shitposting.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Of course I'd like them to be making it cheaper so more people could buy it easier....

It is kinda annoying and feels like they are pushing people away rather than trying to attract them.

But at the same time I understand the currency issue.

I did think that with ps5 pro coming a price cut would be more likely....guess not
this is not just a currency issue, we won't see price drops this gen, even on places where currency is fine, the main attractives of the console used to be exclusives and/or the price, a PS4 at this timeframe last gen costed $299/$249 on holiday sales

Reactions: Bryank75

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
what you call doomposting for me is reality of things
I think you care too much about what's happening in the Sony world, both good and bad. Take a breather. Go outside and smell the fresh air. Play a game that you really like. You'll feel better.

As others have stated the price increases are related to the value of the yen, not some ultra evil. I doubt you'd find someone here that thinks price cuts are a bad thing like you implied on the op. This may not be a good thing, bad news for Japanese gamers in fact, but it doesn't mean Sony is doing some ultra awful shit. They're just a corporation doing what corporations do: looking after their own profits. Is that good? Well, no, not really, but Playsfation will carry on with or without you, with or without exclusives. If you wanna move onto PC that's fine, but you don't need to shove into everyone's faces on a Playstation fan forum how much you think Playatation sucks. I don't even do that and I'm not a Playstation fan!

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
this is not just a currency issue, we won't see price drops this gen, even on places where currency is fine, the main attractives of the console used to be exclusives and/or the price, a PS4 at this timeframe last gen costed $299/$249 on holiday sales
These things probably won't improve until the current CEO / CFO are gone. It's a corporate attitude.

Like... They could have even picked one to focus on.. make lots of great exclusives OR keep their hardware price very competitive.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I think you care too much about what's happening in the Sony world, both good and bad. Take a breather. Go outside and smell the fresh air. Play a game that you really like. You'll feel better.

As others have stated the price increases are related to the value of the yen, not some ultra evil. I doubt you'd find someone here that thinks price cuts are a bad thing like you implied on the op. This may not be a good thing, bad news for Japanese gamers in fact, but it doesn't mean Sony is doing some ultra awful shit. They're just a corporation doing what corporations do: looking after their own profits. Is that good? Well, no, not really, but Playsfation will carry on with or without you, with or without exclusives. If you wanna move onto PC that's fine, but you don't need to shove into everyone's faces on a Playstation fan forum how much you think Playatation sucks. I don't even do that and I'm not a Playstation fan!
i literally haven't been here for a week LOL, be for real

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
These things probably won't improve until the current CEO / CFO are gone. It's a corporate attitude.

Like... They could have even picked one to focus on.. make lots of great exclusives OR keep their hardware price very competitive.
thank god PC is my main platform today, can already see PS6 launching for $600 and increasing price through the gen

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
people here are exaclty like this: talks shit about Xbox daily, don't want to hear criticism about PlayStation for the same reasons they trash Xbox for, if you do that, you're doomposting, the corporate slaves like @mibu no ookami are daily posting financial stuff no core player cares about, he'll be the one defending PlayStation executives once they start porting games to Switch 2 in the coming years, y'all need to figure out a lane and stay on it, cause moving goalposts daily as Sony changes and kills their core product day by day making it an undesirable place to be in won't cut it anymore, everybody is seeing the hypocrisy and bias.
Resurrection of JAH

Same “corporate slave” nonsense you platform warriors throw around as if anyone gives a damn.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
You deflected earlier. You made a foreign price increase for hardware you already own as a reason to shill for PC for yourself. That's the most deluded thing I have seen all week.
it’s literally all over the place on the replies of the PS Japan account, but go ahead

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
contrary to that, i made the bad choice of purchasing a $500 box expecting exclusives

i already have a PC

PC literally has more games you can only play on it than a PS5, but go ahead

pubilc perception about PlayStation is changing day by day, even long time fans are not supportive of this company anymore, just the brainwashed ones

and i'm specifically talking about PlayStation which involves everyone, not just me or you, and public perception is not good about the price of the console and the lineup of it, or lack of it, i'm already cutting ties with PlayStation, i no longer buy digital games or DLCS/MTX on the PS Store for example, when their games come day and date to PC i don't even purchase them, and the ones i purchase are all physical and then when i finish them i resell to get my money back because i know once the games hit PC they'll be free anyway, there is no longer any incentive from my part to keep being a PlayStation only person and just like me there are thousands feeling this way, a lot of them on this site too, i'll continue to speak my mind and if you're hurt about it, just ignore

i'm not dodging anything, i already let it very clear here that PS5 is my last PlayStation console, PC is my main platform today and i no longer purchase stuff on the PS Store + Cancelled my PS Plus subscription, i'm posting what needs to be posted, this place looks like a land of brainwashed people, you can complain with Sony for not having a lineup, releasing games on PC where they'll be pirated day one and raise prices of their consoles instead of dropping them.

if y'all can't see truth and want to dodge reality, just ban me too, this place is the biggest circus i've ever seen, it's equel to resetera when it comes to chills, with the difference of resetera being full of xbox blind loyalists and here being playstation blind loyalists who not even 4 years ago used to say exclusives define consoles and now are here moving goalposts daily

not just me, Japanese people on the replies of the announcement are also bringing it, but go ahead
So this was about the Japanese base not you?
My post earlier that Sony doesn't obviously care if you move to unsubsidised hardware otherwise they wouldn't port.
And you brand people that say to you go to PC as corporate slaves, ironic, but go ahead.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
So this was about the Japanese base not you?
My post earlier that Sony doesn't obviously care if you move to unsubsidised hardware otherwise they wouldn't port.
And you brand people that say to you go to PC as corporate slaves, ironic, but go ahead.
y'all were hurt about facts and made it about me, the only thing i said was that the console they're rising the price only has Demon's Souls and Spiderman 2 as first party exclusives

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
You people will defend anything Sony does. PS fans are becoming just like the Xbox fans you make fun of.

A price increase anywhere is not good.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Etifilio

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
contrary to that, i made the bad choice of purchasing a $500 box expecting exclusives
It has exclusives. You not liking them doesn't mean they don't exist.

BTW what the heck is going on in Japan?
The standard console was around $100 cheaper in Japan than in the rest of world, and the digital edition around $50 cheaper.

Inflation and recent changes in Yen value also changed the value of what they were paying for a console in dollars.

So by rising the Japanese prices they are adjusting it to the price of the console in USA, EU and most other countries.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
This is due to the weak yen and I'm not sure why the OP didn't mention this. The amount of people in this thread that don't understand Sony had to raise the price on the console to break even/ gave a slight profit is ridiculous. If you're ignorant of business then you shouldn't be discussing business.