instead of price drops, Sony is raising the price of the PS5 in Japan

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
You people will defend anything Sony does. PS fans are becoming just like the Xbox fans you make fun of.

A price increase anywhere is not good.
Who is defending anything? The yen is super weak, do you expect the price to go down when the currency buying power is so weak?

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
🙄

This is due to the weak yen and I'm not sure why the OP didn't mention this. The amount of people in this thread that don't understand Sony had to raise the price on the console to break even/ gave a slight profit is ridiculous. If you're ignorant of business then you shouldn't be discussing business.

Why do you care about how much money Sony makes? The only ignorance is acting like a shareholder and not a customer. You can be familiar with the Japanese market and still not agree with the changes.

That’s why people in the comments on JP twitter are reacting the way they are.

Who is defending anything? The yen is super weak, do you expect the price to go down when the currency buying power is so weak?

I don’t care about any of that. It’s Sony job to draw people in to buy a PS5. Take the hit on price.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
🙄

Why do you care about how much money Sony makes? The only ignorance is acting like a shareholder and not a customer. You can be familiar with the Japanese market and still not agree with the changes.

That’s why people in the comments on JP twitter are reacting the way they are.

I don’t care about any of that. It’s Sony job to draw people in to buy a PS5. Take the hit on price.
If they dont profit you dont get the AAA games you want at the quality you want. It's that simple.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It's really not in this case.

The price remained the "same", Yen went down in value. They should have taken the hit, especially in Japan.
So isn't this about not wanting to take a hit so they can look good in the quarterly's for their precious shareholders

24 Jun 2022
Can't wait for the return of 12K weeklies in Japan.

♫How low, can you go Sony♫ ♫Oh how low, can you go!♫
Wouldn't count on this in the future. Nintendo will be absolutely ruthless at the first signs of a Switch 2 emulator.

He's right about everything else, though.

Yen hit 160:1 a couple months ago, this is in reaction to that.

But I thought PS5 was selling out in China. That's what the reports keep saying, right? You'd think big sales in other markets would offset the price issue in Japan due to the Yen.

And what else would be a response to that development? Selling more hardware at a reasonably expected price to drive software sales and subscription revenue with the larger install base. Raising the price on consoles (again) ain't really a good reaction in comparison.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022

People keep going "oh it's inflation, it's the yen", when I'm sure inflation and a weak yen were factors in previous generations too from time to time. Yet we never saw SIE increase the cost of the console multiple times during a gen when they were.

So what's really changed? All you gotta do is take one look at the shareholders....

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
People keep going "oh it's inflation, it's the yen", when I'm sure inflation and a weak yen were factors in previous generations too from time to time. Yet we never saw SIE increase the cost of the console multiple times during a gen when they were.

So what's really changed? All you gotta do is take one look at the shareholders....
But Sony always had shareholders. What changed now? They always had these unatainable growth plans. Serious question.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Ive seen copes where they hiked the price because of scalpers buying so many PS5s because of Wukong. I wonder if there is any truth to that? The first time theyre going to TGS in awhile, why poison the well and goodwill like this now?

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Ive seen copes where they hiked the price because of scalpers buying so many PS5s because of Wukong. I wonder if there is any truth to that? The first time theyre going to TGS in awhile, why poison the well and goodwill like this now?
Sony leadership is looking shaky as the jiggling fat rolls on a Concord character

Reactions: Dabaus

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Do yourself a favor and sell your PS5. Being this upset over a console isn't healthy. You act like an ex who can't let go.

Last edited: