Internet required to pair disc drive with new PS5

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023
Well, there is DRM on each PS5 disc right? It makes sense that something like this would be implemented to prevent piracy.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
It's clearly marrying the drive to the console, just as drives are today. The keys to do it are done via a cloud server instead of a computer in the factory.

Question is, can one easily swap drives in the future for maintenance.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Well, there is DRM on each PS5 disc right? It makes sense that something like this would be implemented to prevent piracy.
No, there is no disc DRM on PS5 game discs.

This check is probably intended to prevent third party drives.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Nevermind. I see it.

Bigger issue is COD not being on the disc. Activision has been doing that for awhile.

Nevermind again. There is no physical disc. I’m sure the physical copy doesn’t have the full game on disc though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Box

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
probably to prevent hardware based attack vectors .. nothingburger
Unless you are one of those people who doesn't want their console online, ever. Then it is a big deal. Or if you are a longterm game collector worried about what happens 20 years from now.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Oh dear... Let's hope the rumored Pro model has a disc drive included.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Even more reason for me to buy another one of the launch model before they’re out of stock.

Looks better and more high end. And no internet use the disc drive.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Can they not, say, release a ps3 "disc drive"/expansion bay module with the correct laser color and disk drive in a little unit etc? Handle the rest in coding and refer to PS5 wrapping to replace expected ps3 components. Don't run audio through that old thing, insert tempest audio run cycle at this loading point, etc.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
This is a nothing burger the digital age is coming people should stop making fuss about this the physical version of the games always need a patch

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
This is a nothing burger the digital age is coming people should stop making fuss about this the physical version of the games always need a patch
The vast majority of games work fine without day one patches. Also, even with a day one patch I can still play it. I can't play a digital game tied to an account I don't own, when that account is gone.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
I'm actually surprised Play is still doing a bundle for C.O.D right now I figured they wouldn't considering they're just feeding their competitors war funds.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You're not very smart, right? Because any person advocating for all digital and criticising those that prefer physical is, by definition, acting against their own self interests and, by the extension of that definition, dumb.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
You're not very smart, right? Because any person advocating for all digital and criticising those that prefer physical is, by definition, acting against their own self interests and, by the extension of that definition, dumb.
You my guy are sealed right now you should first save yourself