Is anybody else disappointed that no new titles have been announced by ND, Bend, Sucker Punch, BluePoint in at least 3-4 years now?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I understand game development is a lengthy process and we should only expect a new title every 4-5 years but this generation for me has been quite a disappointment in terms of first party output except Insomniac.

All this talk about a PS5 Pro as well when the full capabilities of the base PS5 hasn’t even pushed to the limit I feel.
- u/Ajxtt/

Why does it Seem like Insomniac is the only one actually releasing games efficiently?

Is it too much to ask for an update from these studios? An image or trailer?

The fact that it's been 3, 4, going on 5 years and these studios has shown nothing IS concerning. Insomniac has been carrying the PS5. What on earth has Sucker Punch been doing since Ghost of Tsushima? What HAS bluepoint been doing since demon souls??? Bend??? These are valid questions, especially considering that Insomniac has shipped 3 titles in the same span of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Insomniac has way more people, allowing them to work in 3 or 4 games at the same time.

Bend, Sucker Punch or Bluepoint have been growing but as far as we now they still are working in a single game at the same time (Sucker Punch may have a main game SP team + a smaller DLCs or MP team).

In the case of Bluepoint, their whole team worked on GoWR according to the game credits and many of their Linkedin pages, which show that after Demon's Souls they moved there. I didn't watch the GoWR Valhalla credits, I don't know if they worked there too. At least a few months ago they still didn't have a game design team big enough to lead their own AAA, and as they said that moved away from remasters and remakes, this means they'll continue as a support team for at least another project.

Sony always focus their marketing on games to be released in the next months, maximum a year and a half, with a handful exceptions. Big new AAA games take around 5-9 years nowadays.

Sucker Punch released GoT in mid 2020, GoT Legends in late 2020, GoT DC + PS5 version + Ikki Island DLC in mid 2021. So being optismistic their next game, likely to be GoT2, would release in 2025-2026, but could also take until 2029. So it means that very likely they won't show it until 2024-2025 being optimistic.

Bend released DG in 2019 and until 2021 they fixed it and released new content, and ported it to PC, in addition to help ND with TLOU Online and an Uncharted game that we don't know what happened with it (maybe is one of the SP games being developed inside ND now). In 2021 Bend started to work in their new open world IP that will use some of the Days Gone concepts. New IPs take longer, so 6-9 years is more likely. We're talking about a potential 2027-2030 release and to show it maybe in 2025-2028.

We also have to understand that since these games already started development in 2020-2021, they already had the PS5 devkits and specs since the start, so they will be PS5 gen games, so should look way better than the ones who started some years before. This means extra work, but at least they don't have their own next gen engine: both use Unreal Engine. This means that since April 2022 -maybe in their case a few months before since Sony is an investor of Epic- had Unreal Engine 5.

Last edited:

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
I understand game development is a lengthy process and we should only expect a new title every 4-5 years but this generation for me has been quite a disappointment in terms of first party output except Insomniac.

All this talk about a PS5 Pro as well when the full capabilities of the base PS5 hasn’t even pushed to the limit I feel.

Why does it Seem like Insomniac is the only one actually releasing games efficiently?

Is it too much to ask for an update from these studios? An image or trailer?

The fact that it's been 3, 4, going on 5 years and these studios has shown nothing IS concerning. Insomniac has been carrying the PS5. What on earth has Sucker Punch been doing since Ghost of Tsushima? What HAS bluepoint been doing since demon souls??? Bend??? These are valid questions, especially considering that Insomniac has shipped 3 titles in the same span of time.

ND literally announced that they are working on a 2 games. Bend Studios teased their next game a half a year ago. They will say something when it is ready :

Sucker Punch.....yeah. You can bet that it is a Ghost Of Tsushima 2

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They won’t be disappointed once they actually release software.

I have no complaints. Dev times and costs are ballooning.

For a consoles historically made succesful exclusively due to third party support … PlayStation fans sure do have unrealistic demands these days from their first party output.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Insomniac has way more people, allowing them to work in 3 or 4 games at the same time.

Bend, Sucker Punch or Bluepoint have been growing but as far as we now they still are working in a single game at the same time (Sucker Punch may have a main game SP team + a smaller DLCs or MP team).

In the case of Bluepoint, their whole team worked on GoWR according to the game credits and many of their Linkedin pages, which show that after Demon's Souls they moved there. I didn't watch the GoWR Valhalla credits, I don't know if they worked there too. At least a few months ago they still didn't have a game design team big enough to lead their own AAA, and as they said that moved away from remasters and remakes, this means they'll continue as a support team for at least another project.

Sony always focus their marketing on games to be released in the next months, maximum a year and a half, with a handful exceptions. Big new AAA games take around 5-9 years nowadays.

Sucker Punch released GoT in mid 2020, GoT Legends in late 2020, GoT DC + PS5 version + Ikki Island DLC in mid 2021. So being optismistic their next game, likely to be GoT2, would release in 2025-2026, but could also take until 2029. So it means that very likely they won't show it until 2024-2025 being optimistic.

Bend released DG in 2019 and until 2021 they fixed it and released new content, and ported it to PC, in addition to help ND with TLOU Online and an Uncharted game that we don't know what happened with it (maybe is one of the SP games being developed inside ND now). In 2021 Bend started to work in their new open world IP that will use some of the Days Gone concepts. New IPs take longer, so 6-9 years is more likely. We're talking about a potential 2027-2030 release and to show it maybe in 2025-2028.

We also have to understand that since these games already started development in 2020-2021, they already had the PS5 devkits and specs since the start, so they will be PS5 gen games, so should look way better than the ones who started some years before. This means extra work, but at least they don't have their own next gen engine: both use Unreal Engine. This means that since April 2022 -maybe in their case a few months before since Sony is an investor of Epic- had Unreal Engine 5.
Bluepoint’s new game is already confirmed to be an original game. Also GOT 2 will release way before 2029 and Bend‘s new game will not take that long. Lol

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
eh bluepoint…

I can’t say I have expectations from them… an original game is the real proof needed but copy and pasting someone else’s game with improved visuals don’t mean fucking shit.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
eh bluepoint…

I can’t say I have expectations from them… an original game is the real proof needed but copy and pasting someone else’s game with improved visuals don’t mean fucking shit.
Yeah. I can’t believe Sony acquired them, without proving they can make their own game first. At least Housemarque has proven they can make good games.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Yeah. I can’t believe Sony acquired them, without proving they can make their own game first. At least Housemarque has proven they can make good games.

I’m fine with the acquisition. Sony is known for making the best looking games and those proficient in such are worth having on payroll too. You will always need supplemental dev houses and now more than ever. I just see zero hype for their next game… I don’t see them as a real studio yet. Making cover band projects doesn’t require an original thought one bit.

THERE IS NO BLOODBORNE 2 WITHOUT MIYAZAKI. IPs mean jack shit without their creators behind them. Bluepoint making the sequel would SUCK!

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Phil Spencer tried to play the victim role in court. Saying that Sony was trying to take MS out, by buying 3rd party timed exclusives. But the real reason why Sony did it, was because they knew that most of their 1st party games wouldn’t be ready. So the 2nd and 3rd party timed exclusives are there, until their 1st party games are ready.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Phil Spencer tried to play the victim role in court. Saying that Sony was trying to take MS out, by buying 3rd party timed exclusives. But the real reason why Sony did it, was because they knew that most of their 1st party games wouldn’t be ready. So the 2nd and 3rd party timed exclusives are there, until their 1st party games are ready.

I always found that argument weak as fuck. The industry was built on signing 3rd party exclusives. Being market leader makes that only easier since companies don’t want to sell on Xbox or Nintendo consoles where 3rd party releases fail in the worst ways. That’s not Sony problem. Those are failed product problems — an Xbox problem.

Sony has always made these deals to fill their releases. The Psone didn’t need ANY internal studios. There’s nothing wrong it.

Phil Spencer is a bitch and a hack. MS will buy anyone… any company or shill in media or government to get their way. One of the most destructive companies on the planet. Their goal is to make gamepass a subsidized welfare program

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'll be disappointed if the games end up all being gaas. I'm not really concerned about having announcements, I'm concerned about what those announcements will be once they show up.

Reactions: toadsage44

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Bluepoint’s new game is already confirmed to be an original game.
Yes, it was confirmed to be a new game: God of War Ragnarok, where they had a support role.

Before creating/joining Bluepoint, their top/lead/senior staff worked on new games as Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong Returns, Mario Kart 7, Diablo II or World of Warcraft to name a few of them. Some other ones came from Insonmiac or Naughty Dog.

They did many awesome remakes and remasters as Bluepoint, like Demon's Souls, SotC, Ico+SotC/GoW/Uncharted/MGS collections or Gravity Rush.

But right now don't have a game design team big enough to be the lead team on a new AAA game, so they'll continue in the support role they had in God of War Ragnarok (or in the past in Titanfall).

They are a very valuable asset for Sony, a great acquisition that is very talented, experienced, flexible and is familiar with having worked with many of their popular IPs.

They can help teams like SSM, ND, Bend, Sucker Punch to release their games faster keeping top tier quality, getting more familiar with their IPs to maybe if needed in the future being Bluepoint who leads some sequels of these IPs.

The Psone didn’t need ANY internal studios.
During PS1 days they had multiple internal development studios as:
  • Psygnosis, later known as Liverpool Studio
  • SCE Studio Cambridge (the Medievil guys), later known as Guerrilla Cambridge
  • Japan Studio
  • Polyphony (who branched out from Japan Studio due to GT success)
  • Sony Interactive Studios America (later known as 989 Studios, later 989 Sports and finally was merged with the acquired Red Zone Interactive to become the current Sony San Diego Studio)
  • Sony Santa Monica (but their first game was for PS2)
  • Bend was created there, when in 2000 acquired and renamed Eidetic
  • Incognito was acquired in 2002
PS1 got discontinued in 2006. Some other studios were acquired or founded before 2006 but never published a PS1 game as a Sony studio.

Last edited:

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Well, they can make good games of a certain genre. Could you say the same if they made an FPS next? Maybe a top-down strategy game?

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Most of the gaas efforts seem to have been outside of most established studios. Calling MLB and GT GaaS is also a stretch since iterative IPs and genre don’t really have to change a thing to make the change. I would argue it’s mostly semantics.

I do believe ND’s attempt at a larger online game was their own choice. The scope of their game would just cost too much to make in manpower and dollars. Not convinced it was part of some edict from the top to force them to. To me this says Nd’s management believed they too could cash in on live service as well.

Bend shut down a days gone sequel. I do agree with this choice. TLOU itself has too much of a genre overlap and cannibalizes their own company’s sales. I say this as someone impressed and a bigger fan of bend than ND. Their gunplay won me over big in Days Gone. From what we know they’re not working on an online game. If they were tho? I’d give it a shot.

The thing is … the reality is. There isn’t really a service game around who hasn’t had a studio doin online co-op and PvP for 20 years already. Much of it is networking players into a lobby effectively.

Guerilla is totally capable. They have the knowledge and the networking experience. And they’re at their core also an action game studio. I do believe the most traditional action game studios have an advantage in live service… they’ve been making the same game over and over to begin with. It’s refined. It has depth. It’s just iterative. This is what Monster Hunter Wilds will be. And I promise you… that is the next huge win for GaaS from established companies. Looking at over 40 million for that one. Watch lol

The original statement which claimed Sony expected most of the live service games to fail was profound to me. It seems they understood the risk but not the financial one? Or at least underestimate how big of a resource dump it would be to keep a destiny or Genshin sized game going (PvP only games are way cheaper to make and maintain)

To me this indicates the panel review did its job. This is Sony proving how they navigate this industry better than any other.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Well, they can make good games of a certain genre. Could you say the same if they made an FPS next? Maybe a top-down strategy game?

lol what?

First of all. They 100% could make an fps game. As someone playing action games forever. All shooters of any perspective are ROBOTRON 2084 and Housemarque even made a ROBOTRON game with its creator. Like wtf.. Returnal is a shooter 🤣

Secondly… that’s like suggesting housemarque ain’t great because they haven’t made a jrpg yet. ND’s last 6 games are the same game with new narrative and setting. So they haven’t proven themselves?

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I'll be disappointed if the games end up all being gaas. I'm not really concerned about having announcements, I'm concerned about what those announcements will be once they show up.
They won’t be. The only 1st party studios working on GAAS are Guerilla, Haven, Firewalk, Sony London, Insomniac with the rumored Spider Verse game, and possibly Firespirte with the rumored Twisted Metal.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: AshHunter216

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yes, it was confirmed to be a new game: God of War Ragnarok, where they had a support role.
No it wasn't, and you keep persisting on this lie. They worked on GoW Ragnarok, but they were and are working on something else concurrently. Else this doesn't make sense.

It's pretty clear what the other three "Christmas presents" are.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
They won’t be. The only 1st party studios working on GAAS are Guerilla, Haven, Firewalk, Sony London, Insomniac with the rumored Spider Verse game, and possibly Firespirte with the rumored Twisted Metal.

Eh Twisted Metal is bound to have everything found in a modern online game. I think it’s just a matter of how much money it can make for continued revenue streams with dlc content expansions etc.

GaaS is a boogeyman. It won’t change much for some games. Ironically classic arcade style games can retain what they are. Issue is capeshit licensed piles of shit like suicide squad and avengers.

Then there’s the correct approach to single-player GaaS. Hitman. Sony not grabbing IO is a big mistake. Should be done asap