Is anybody else disappointed that no new titles have been announced by ND, Bend, Sucker Punch, BluePoint in at least 3-4 years now?

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Yes, I'm disappointed. Content draught made me finally take the plunge and build a big, beefy gaming PC and honestly my PS5's taken quite a backseat since. I used it mainly as a Final Fantasy XIV machine before, and I've migrated XIV entirely to my PC so it doesn't even do that.

Occasionally I'll play my JRPGs from PS4 on it since I'm still slowly making my way through the big backlog of them that I have (still missing 2 Trails games until I'm officially up to date!), but even then, the only reasons I'm playing them on PS5 are that it's easier to stream them to my frands on Discord, and because I want to have them in box.

I respect all of their studios' work, but the only studio under Sony that is really breathtaking to me is Naughty Dog. Until and unless they release something new and exclusive to the platform I bought, I have to face the reality that I paid 500 bucks to play Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. I'm quite well off so that realization doesn't bother me financially, but I can't imagine a lot of people feel thrilled about that.

But I don't know if there really are a lot of people in my situation. I think players like myself, who became loyal to Sony over their weird, niche Japanese games from the PS2 and PS3 era, are either long gone or have graduated over to Spiderman or whatever. I definitely see the appeal of stuff like Spiderman, and Days Gone, and God of War, and whatever new Marvel thing they'll make after Wolverine, but unfortunately for me, it's stuff that I always try (if nothing else, just to have the experience), and I rarely tend to genuinely love.

EDIT: Except for Returnal. Returnal fucks, and I want more games like it.
I'm on the same boat, all the way down to my love for returnal. The content drought has persisted for so long that I've fully moved to PC gaming and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Playstation becoming a PC port machine also didn't help their case.

The fact that we've gone year after year with horrible third party showcases and CGI trailers for their new gaas from unknown developers were the last straw, playstation used to be so good with showing gameplay of their studios games 1-2 years out and giving their fans something to look forward to.

Reactions: Yeona and Box

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Very disappointed, but I have played my PS5 way more than my PS4 during the first three years.

I put my PS5 up there with my PS1 and PS2 on hours played and number of games played.

Reactions: Vertigo

Yeona

29 Jul 2023
I'm on the same boat, all the way down to my love for returnal. The content drought has persisted for so long that I've fully moved to PC gaming and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Playstation becoming a PC port machine also didn't help their case.

The fact that we've gone year after year with horrible third party showcases and CGI trailers for their new gaas from unknown developers were the last straw, playstation used to be so good with showing gameplay of their studios games 1-2 years out and giving their fans something to look forward to.

Yeah, the GaaS push was fucking baffling to me. I completely understand that they want to strengthen their output in that genre and I think that's very smart, but overwhelming all of the studios they own to make games in a genre they aren't familiar with was idiotic, and completely hamstrung their output.

Now that the biggest GaaS project they had has been officially cancelled, and all the work they've done for who-even-knows how long they've been working on it in earnest, I can't help but wonder how much they've delayed a new proper single-player entry from them, and more importantly, I can't help but wonder if we would have gotten a new game from them next year had they not been forced to work on what amounted to literally vaporware in the end.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yeah, the GaaS push was fucking baffling to me. I completely understand that they want to strengthen their output in that genre and I think that's very smart, but overwhelming all of the studios they own to make games in a genre they aren't familiar with was idiotic, and completely hamstrung their output.

Now that the biggest GaaS project they had has been officially cancelled, and all the work they've done for who-even-knows how long they've been working on it in earnest, I can't help but wonder how much they've delayed a new proper single-player entry from them, and more importantly, I can't help but wonder if we would have gotten a new game from them next year had they not been forced to work on what amounted to literally vaporware in the end.
Sony GaaS strategy was stupid all along. Along the way they could've easily had Rocket League, Fall Guys and built on that.

Counter-strike, Left 4 Dead, Dota 2, Team Fortress. All acquired while they were smaller projects/mods. Fortnite, PUBG, Minecraft and Vampire Survivor? Different degrees of clones.

Sony strategy: turn their best studios into a GaaS studio by spending years developing a game in secret without sharing anything. Drop billions on Bungie one of the most toxic studios in the industry and make them the top dogs internally. Buy other AAA GaaS studios that never released any games.

They seem to think GaaS success is built the same way as more traditional console games.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I'm disappointed since at least 2022 with all the terrible events we've been getting and pretty much only GaaS being announced by Sony.

Ever since I was a Sony fan this has been the worst period as far as their own games are concerned, I really hope they have a lot more for 2024/2025 but at this point I'm not feeling like they do.

I need at least DS2 in 2024.

You can't seriously be hyping a game targeting 2030 in 2023... that is something I would expect from Xbox fans.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm disappointed since at least 2022 with all the terrible events we've been getting and pretty much only GaaS being announced by Sony.

Ever since I was a Sony fan this has been the worst period as far as their own games are concerned, I really hope they have a lot more for 2024/2025 but at this point I'm not feeling like they do.

I need at least DS2 in 2024.

You can't seriously be hyping a game targeting 2030 in 2023... that is something I would expect from Xbox fans.
Bro it was a joke...learn to relax

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
No, I love it! that means I can say and think whatever I want about their future output and as long as I say that I was speculating I am safe from being wrong!

Also, people doing all the doom and gloom could be right as well!

This is amazing...

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
3 successful games though
They 2 team thing failed before Neil's version of Uncharted 4 started. They were already having issues with Uncharted 3 as resources were split between TLOU and Uncharted 3. And then Amy's Uncharted 4 was apparently not getting enough resources because TLOU / DLC / Remaster was taking away devs from the team.

So after Uncharted 4 the entire studio was burnt out and they had close to a 70% turnover rate.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They 2 team thing failed before Neil's version of Uncharted 4 started. They were already having issues with Uncharted 3 as resources were split between TLOU and Uncharted 3. And then Amy's Uncharted 4 was apparently not getting enough resources because TLOU / DLC / Remaster was taking away devs from the team.

So after Uncharted 4 the entire studio was burnt out and they had close to a 70% turnover rate.

Maybe Sony can give them more money and money workers like how other places expand. ND is there premier studio along with Santa Monica, they deserve the best.