Status
Not open for further replies.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
bed090dcc8c477b665b47cd8e229514215bf57e85069a34cb49d151d74b43691.jpg

woof
Stop lying with the woof, you would still hit it.

Speaking of older women, @Bo_Hazem loves the woman from Returnal, I remember his saying he would pay a dowry of 40 camels and a chicken for her, that's apparently alot from his neck of the woods

Wildlife Camel GIF

• haha
Reactions: EDMIX and Bo_Hazem

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Stop lying with the woof, you would still hit it.

Speaking of older women, @Bo_Hazem loves the woman from Returnal, I remember his saying he would pay a dowry of 40 camels and a chicken for her, that's apparently alot from his neck of the woods

Wildlife Camel GIF

Whether or not I would hit it doesn't negate the woofness

• haha
Reactions: EDMIX and Sircaw

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Actually you know what on second thought I think we should move away from idealized depictions it's insulting if you think about it, why did the artist here feel the need to beautify these women? Ugly people are real people too and deserve representation

Dm-Ghw-Y-X4-AADo-Nx.jpg

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I remember people saying RE4 Leon was emo. It was his hairstyle that was brought up when people said that, though. At the time there were several music bands where members had similar hairstyles whose music was considered emo. It never made sense to call a guy cracking off one-liners during horrific events emo, though.
Never thought somebody will call Leon in RE4 emo :D

I can understand calling Sandman in the TV Show emo... it really fits it.

intro-1660778495.webp

FZiASzTXEAAjQ6s

Well there is the medievel one too.

FZfKgyeXoAQkPBS

Last edited:
Reactions: EDMIX and laynelane

EDMIX

You should have saved that shot for the Screenshot comp.

Update. I need to stop joshing around, people are taking me seriously.

Just to be clear, No cut scene captures are allowed in the comp, only real gameplay shots

sorry for the confusion. (stupid fish )

I think I saw on the making of stuff that from the original to remake, the remake is using all real time models as suppose to the original that mixed in cgi stuff with those cut scenes. Likely to maintain the same feel, look.

Kojima loved doing that as he believed it maintained immersion with the player

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw
27 Aug 2022
SONY keeps making their protags uglier, especially women, probably to do with the male gaze and objectification or something else stupid like that. I dunno it's not a huge deal to me, I still enjoyed TLOU 2 and Returnal... but it's fucking weird.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I remember people saying RE4 Leon was emo. It was his hairstyle that was brought up when people said that, though. At the time there were several music bands where members had similar hairstyles whose music was considered emo. It never made sense to call a guy cracking off one-liners during horrific events emo, though.
it probably doesn't help that the game has stuff like this

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
SONY keeps making their protags uglier, especially women, probably to do with the male gaze and objectification or something else stupid like that. I dunno it's not a huge deal to me, I still enjoyed TLOU 2 and Returnal... but it's fucking weird.

You must have unrealistic expectations of what a woman looks like. None of these look ugly, or even bad. They are good looking women.

hero-image.fill.size_1248x702.v1623390103.jpg

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-Dina-Party.jpg

horizon-forbidden-west-review-1644515572232.jpg

27 Aug 2022
I said uglier, not necessarily actually ugly, but less attractive than they were prior. Aloy is a perfect example, she looks better in HZD than HFW where she starts sometimes looking like Nickacado Avacado. If they made a new Uncharted featuring any of the women from it before I guarantee they look worse than they did before. Returnal doesn't have a predecessor to compare but you can look at it as "what if Samus was less attractive and older?" lol, like look at Dina then compare her to the ACTUAL MODEL they used for her and you'll see what I mean. Even Ellie, she grew up into being Norman Reedus, it was so unnatural that in flashbacks to the first game in TLOU 2 they had to alter her looks as a 13 year old to match the poor way she aged.

This is observing a pattern, it's not about my actual standards for what a woman looks like, trust me Aloy could rock me anytime if she was real. I think it's just noticeable that "more detailed" seems to mean less attractive. Dark Souls actually had a similar issue, if you look at Dark Souls II character creator versus III, the third entry has a more detailed character but if you like playing as female characters, like I do, it's MUCH harder to make her attractive. Demon's Souls remake actually made this process far easier, sometimes advancement does make things better, other times worse. It's kinda like how the first 3D games were way uglier than the best of 2D.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I said uglier, not necessarily actually ugly, but less attractive than they were prior. Aloy is a perfect example, she looks better in HZD than HFW where she starts sometimes looking like Nickacado Avacado. If they made a new Uncharted featuring any of the women from it before I guarantee they look worse than they did before. Returnal doesn't have a predecessor to compare but you can look at it as "what if Samus was less attractive and older?" lol, like look at Dina then compare her to the ACTUAL MODEL they used for her and you'll see what I mean. Even Ellie, she grew up into being Norman Reedus, it was so unnatural that in flashbacks to the first game in TLOU 2 they had to alter her looks as a 13 year old to match the poor way she aged.

This is observing a pattern, it's not about my actual standards for what a woman looks like, trust me Aloy could rock me anytime if she was real. I think it's just noticeable that "more detailed" seems to mean less attractive. Dark Souls actually had a similar issue, if you look at Dark Souls II character creator versus III, the third entry has a more detailed character but if you like playing as female characters, like I do, it's MUCH harder to make her attractive. Demon's Souls remake actually made this process far easier, sometimes advancement does make things better, other times worse. It's kinda like how the first 3D games were way uglier than the best of 2D.

She looks so different... The things they changed the most on her character are body proportions.

95939182e712b2bdaae1874090b5559fe2baac58.jpg

About Aloy, one looks like a plastic doll, the other one like a CGI human, like a digital version of Hannah Hoekstra

dbgso5wgs5781.jpg

Hannah+Hoekstra.jpeg

As for Ellie, she looked weird as hell in OG TLOU, like uncanny valley weird. In TLOU PT II they made her look much more like Ashley Johnson (still not like for like), so they correctly went back and changed her weird looking character (head too big, disproportionate eyes) and de-aged her a few years. But I guess this is what Norman Reedus looks like:

ashley_johnson_and_ellie_from_the_last_of_us-_publicity_-_split_-_h_2020_-928x523.jpg

y81ctq3a72h71.jpg

Your problem is not that characters look "uglier", it's that they objectively look more like human beings.

Reactions: EDMIX
27 Aug 2022
She looks so different... The things they changed the most on her character are body proportions.

95939182e712b2bdaae1874090b5559fe2baac58.jpg

About Aloy, one looks like a plastic doll, the other one like a CGI human, like a digital version of Hannah Hoekstra

dbgso5wgs5781.jpg

Hannah+Hoekstra.jpeg

As for Ellie, she looked weird as hell in OG TLOU, like uncanny valley weird. In TLOU PT II they made her look much more like Ashley Johnson (still not like for like), so they correctly went back and changed her weird looking character (head too big, disproportionate eyes) and de-aged her a few years. But I guess this is what Norman Reedus looks like:

ashley_johnson_and_ellie_from_the_last_of_us-_publicity_-_split_-_h_2020_-928x523.jpg

y81ctq3a72h71.jpg

Your problem is not that characters look "uglier", it's that they objectively look more like human beings.

Then why do I think the human models are more attractive?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Did they ever give a reason for why they cut her breast size?

They didn't, but if I had to guess, It'd be one of the reasons below, or a combination of them:
  • She has above average breast size and they wanted to prevent people from either sexualising her or having it get in the way of her character
  • She has above average breast size and decent breast physics are not that easy to pull of
  • They just didn't want her body on the character. Same happened with Abby.
Then why do I think the human models are more attractive?

Various reasons. I'd say most importantly because they are more attractive, they're human. The more CGI advances, the more difficult for us it is to tell something is off even when it's off. I'd agree the real world models look better.

Reactions: EDMIX

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
They didn't, but if I had to guess, It'd be one of the reasons below, or a combination of them:
  • She has above average breast size and they wanted to prevent people from either sexualising her or having it get in the way of her character
  • She has above average breast size and decent breast physics are not that easy to pull of
  • They just didn't want her body on the character. Same happened with Abby.

They did cut her breast size. Your second and third reasons are okay-ish, but the first one is the real reason, I suspect. That's the one I don't agree with. If you want to represent women in your games, represent women as they are. There's lots of women with big breasts in the world. The solution to how women are represented in video games isn't to shape them into what you (video game developers) think is acceptable, be it over or under sexualized. Just show them how they are, in all their shapes and sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.