[Japan] Final Fantasy XVI sells 336,027 units on launch, Biggest PS5 game launch in Japan, PS5 sells 85K units,

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
That doesn't change what I said lol
The decline in launch sales is there... I even eplaained how FFXV hurt the franchise but maybe you missed it.
What narative are you trying to run here

I already explained 16 have M mature rating vs 15 T teen rating

Game with higher rating will sell less due to higher restriction

If 16 can beat 15 number at the end of the year thats a big W for them ( higher rating and on 1 platform)

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

If 16 can beat 15 number at the end of the year thats a big W for them ( higher rating and on 1 platform)
Don't be so worked up about it.
Decline is because FF15 was flawed game and because japan went mobile root. That would be biggest reasons most probably.
In the end, it doesn't matter at all, it sold over 3M+ WW and that is a success and will keep selling.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Narrative?

FFXVI launch sales are way lower than FFXV... FACT.
FFXV hurt the franchise... FACT.
FFXVI critics and word of mouth are good... FACT.

Forget beting FFXV it won't happen this year... it can and it is a very maybe in lifetime in several years... what will tell if FFXVI win back fans that left due FFXV are FFXVII.

Everybody (well maybe most) expected sales declive after FFXV... so it is no surprise neither narrative.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Narrative?

FFXVI launch sales are way lower than FFXV... FACT.
FFXV hurt the franchise... FACT.

Everybody expected what it is happening and you here trying to use excuses.

BTW forget beting FFXV it won't happen this year... it can and it is a very maybe in lifetime in several years... what will tell if FFXVI win back fans that left due FFXV are FFXVII.
Why are you keep ignoring the part when it says FF16 have mature rating and 15 have teen rating

16 have subliminal sex scene of course you cant sell it to children and teen

If 16 can outsell 15 good and if it cant then no prob

16 is unanimously a better game than 15 almost in every category and running a GOTY candidate this year

Thats what matter

Stop looking at the past

Anyway this is just based on 1st week so too early to tell

Your obssesion with these 15 vs 16 is getting anoying now

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Why are you keep ignoring the part when it says FF16 have mature rating and 15 have teen rating

16 have subliminal sex scene of course cant sell it to children

IF 16 can outsell 15 good and if it cant then no prob

16 is unanimously a better game than 15 almost in every category

Thats what matter

Stop looking at the past

Your obssesion about these 15 vs 16 is getting anoying now
Because it doesn't matter 🤷‍♂️
FF is not a franchise sold to children... 90% or more of the fanbase is not childrens anymore.

I have not ideia why you felt so hurt with the reality.

Plus I never said the game is bad... I mean I have no ideia where you jump these conclusions.
But being better doesn't mean it will sell better... that is not how it works.
Franchise sales are affected by it games... so if a past game was bad then the new game will eventually have lower sales.

The effect of FFXVI being good will only shows in FFXVII.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Because it doesn't matter 🤷‍♂️
FF is not a franchise sold to children... 90% or more of the fanbase is not childrens anymore.

Just move on. Guy fixated. It is like bull on red flag.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

Says who ? You ? Have you checked the box rating in previous final fantasy game? This is the first time they used mature rating

• haha

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Just move on. Guy fixated. It is like bull on red flag.
Final Fantasy 16 have a good chance at winning GOTY this year and you and ethomaz are agreeing this game are on decline based on first week japan sales ?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Final Fantasy 16 have a good chance at winning GOTY this year and you and ethomaz are agreeing this game are on decline based on first week japan sales ?
Sales declined in Japan. That's a fact. Doesn't mean that FF declining or it won't sell loads of copies .
No sure, what do you want. Great game, great sale numbers WW.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Man I should not reply again but...

Sales decline on Japan and Worldwide are a FACT officially backup by Square Enix own numbers.
It doesn't matter if it is good, bad, GOTY, etc when we are talking about how it is selling.

And after FFXV Square Enix probably already expected that... they will try to increae the faith again in the franchise with FFXVI but the results are long term... FFXVI is good and it will win back players to the franchise but not at launch as it proved by numbers.

Reactions: Vertigo

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Sales declined in Japan. That's a fact. Doesn't mean that FF declining or it won't sell loads of copies .
No sure, what do you want. Great game, great sale numbers WW.
1st week sales

15 have big drop after a month latter

Word of mouth can help 16 numbers the next few month

Like i said i think it will have a bigger legs than 15 despite the higher m rating

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

Sales decline on Japan and Worldwide are a FACT officially backup by Square Enix own numbers.
It doesn't matter if it is good, bad, GOTY, etc when we are talking about how it is selling.

And after FFXV Square Enix probably already expected that... they will try to increae the faith again in the franchise with FFXVI but the results are long term... FFXVI is good and it will win back players to the franchise but not at launch.
Its just first week

And this is japan a nintendo switch land

Feck

At least wait until the end of the year so we can get a bigger picture

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
1st week sales

15 have big drop after a month latter

Word of mouth can help 16 numbers the next few month

Like i said i think it will have a bigger legs than 15 despite the higher m rating
No one speaking about that. Discussion is about 1st week.
Of course it should outsell FF15, projection is there.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
No one speaking about that. Discussion is about 1st week.
Of course it should outsell FF15, projection is there.
Not what the other dude says ( numerous time his emphasis is on final fantasy sales are on steady decline worldwide)

That despite the statistics of latest entries FF7 and 15 are the two best selling final fantasy game ( 7 is best but yeah its combined numbers with remake and 15 is second best selling final fantasy game)

So going by that statement what he says that final fantasy sales on steady decline are wrong

Last edited:

sugarbetik

Banned
30 Jun 2023
I don't think so, TOTK is the front runner and has the highest chance to win this year GOTY. Not only that it has over 80 perfect score on meta right now.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I don't think so, TOTK is the front runner and has the highest chance to win this year GOTY. Not only that it has over 80 perfect score on meta right now.
Doesnt guarantee anything

Remember when dragon age inquitition and overwatch won GOTy despite theres other game with higher score back then

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

And after FFXV Square Enix probably already expected that... they will try to increae the faith again in the franchise with FFXVI but the results are long term... FFXVI is good and it will win back players to the franchise but not at launch as it proved by numbers.

Consoles do not drive the Japanese market anymore. It’s a unique situation. The global gaming population has grown so much that Japan’s relevancy to the big picture is not what it was.

I find it more interesting that FF16 is the first major big next gen launch in Japan. It’s strange how this gen has barely kicked off over there.

The best Japanese devs like Nintendo, Capcom and From Software continue to be relevant and consistently release banger after banger because they’ve adapted to international audiences. I hope FF16 manages to do that.

It will be disappointing if it doesn’t surpass FF7r’s 5 million launch year but i expect PS5 momentum to help it pass that milestone.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters