Japan Hardware and Software sales ( June 26 - July 2 )

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

The latest Japanese hardware sales from Famitsu are as follows:

Switch OLED – 60,045
PS5 – 44,967
Switch – 24,118
Switch Lite – 22,051
PS5 Digital Edition – 4,327
PS4 – 2,093
Xbox Series X – 505
Xbox Series X – 466
New 2DS LL – 40

And here are the software charts:

1. [NSW] Master Detective Archives: Rain Code – 55,339 / NEW
2. [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI – 37,763 / 373,790
3. [NSW] Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – 26,089 / 1,723,314
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 10,244 / 5,354,788
5. [NSW] Ghost Trick – 8,373 / NEW
6. [NSW] 9 R.I.P. – 8,080 / NEW
7. [NSW] Minecraft – 7,241 / 3,178,847
8. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 6,925 / 1,114,248
9. [NSW] Tokyo Xanadu eX+ – 5,845 / NEW
10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 5,341 / 5,225,169

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I do wonder if PS5 is still supply constrained there, wish we had someone with their boots on the ground there... someone like Genki would be really cool to have.

I am sure FFXVI will have super legs and sell good numbers for a few years.

• haha
Reactions: Sleepy Brown

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
On paper the FF XVI drop looks normal, it's in line with previous entries. But previous entries also did at least 2x the debut, and that includes FF XV. When FF XV launched, PS4 install base in Japan (and globally) was about the same as PS5's.

So I wouldn't say XVI's performance has been great in Japan, but the game does seem to have more appeal in Western markets. I'm expecting US to be the biggest market for XVI sales by far, for example. I also thought that maybe XVI would have a long-term effect on boosting PS5 hardware & software numbers in Japan but, that doesn't seem to be happening, either.

I think it's okay to say FF XVI and PS5 itself have done well in Japan, but they could definitely be doing better. I just don't know how much PS5 in its current form can actually do in Japan without some sort of (real) portable option, and Project Q ain't it.

Maybe a PS5 laptop-like portable? That should easily be doable engineering-wise. I don't think a high-ish price would necessarily be a barrier either.

That's a big drop for FF but it's still selling good digital judging by US PSN rankings.

It's still no 1, 2 weeks after release and the premium edition is still in the top 20 too. Selling more than Diablo 4. It didn't crater digitally like on physical.

Globally that means really good things, but this link you give is specifically for the US market. It's of no correlation to how the game is selling in Japan, sadly.

I'm expecting the US to be the #1 region for the game's sales by far, followed by UK & Europe.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I also thought that maybe XVI would have a long-term effect on boosting PS5 hardware & software numbers in Japan but, that doesn't seem to be happening, either.

Unless its portable its not gonna last long in the JPN charts Or boost hardware like it use to.

Doesnt matter if its Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Mario. Portable games have the longest legs in Japan and thats what the market wants.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony will never do better in Japan than what it did with the PS3 without a proper portable, it could not e more obvious.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Hope the project q is cheap and has really good remote/cloud play, that along with a cheaper ps5 might be the only way sony turns things around in japan.

I almost feel like they should sell them in a bundle

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Unless its portable its not gonna last long in the JPN charts Or boost hardware like it use to.

Doesnt matter if its Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Mario. Portable games have the longest legs in Japan and thats what the market wants.
Switch Sports is up there and I don't think that's portable. Are you sure it isn't "unless its Switch its not gonna last long" instead of "unless its portable its not gonna last long."

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Switch Sports is up there and I don't think that's portable. Are you sure it isn't "unless its Switch its not gonna last long" instead of "unless its portable its not gonna last long."

A lot of 3rd party games don’t stick around on switch either. Its mostly just nintendo games that dominate the charts

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
A lot of 3rd party games don’t stick around on switch either. Its mostly just nintendo games that dominate the charts
Yeah, just Minecraft, really. Thats not to say that third party games can't sell well on Switch, but they almost never have the long Nintendo tails that are surely the apple of many a publisher's eye.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah, just Minecraft, really. Thats not to say that third party games can't sell well on Switch, but they almost never have the long Nintendo tails that are surely the apple of many a publisher's eye.

Yeah, and theres still like b-tier type nitnendo stuff that gets great reviews but feel a little bit more “hardcore” that don’t get that evergreen status also. Stuff like fire emblem, xenoblade, metroid, SMTV, etc.

Feels like nintendo just leans super casual outside of like zelda

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
On paper the FF XVI drop looks normal, it's in line with previous entries. But previous entries also did at least 2x the debut, and that includes FF XV. When FF XV launched, PS4 install base in Japan (and globally) was about the same as PS5's.

So I wouldn't say XVI's performance has been great in Japan, but the game does seem to have more appeal in Western markets. I'm expecting US to be the biggest market for XVI sales by far, for example. I also thought that maybe XVI would have a long-term effect on boosting PS5 hardware & software numbers in Japan but, that doesn't seem to be happening, either.

I think it's okay to say FF XVI and PS5 itself have done well in Japan, but they could definitely be doing better. I just don't know how much PS5 in its current form can actually do in Japan without some sort of (real) portable option, and Project Q ain't it.

Maybe a PS5 laptop-like portable? That should easily be doable engineering-wise. I don't think a high-ish price would necessarily be a barrier either.

Globally that means really good things, but this link you give is specifically for the US market. It's of no correlation to how the game is selling in Japan, sadly.

I'm expecting the US to be the #1 region for the game's sales by far, followed by UK & Europe.
Are you including digital sales?

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Here's the link for Japan. I see it at number 1.

I don't. Prince of Persia seems to be #1. FF XVI isn't on the first page.

EDIT: Never mind. It's there at #1, I had to select the right tab (they default to top-selling preorders seems like).

Are you including digital sales?

No, I'm just going off the Famitsu charts which only track physical. But Bloomberg Takahashi (ugh) had a tweet listing the debut & second-week sales for previous FF games. I'm assuming he was also using Famitsu and those were physical-only, though knowing him he could've purposefully misrepresented the numbers.

Anyway, both VII Remake and XV had at least 2x the debuts of XVI, so even if percentage-wise XVI's drop-off is in line with other FF games, it isn't as impressive when looking at the actual sales numbers. The comparison with XV is probably more damning for XVI at least in physical sales in Japan considering the time both games released in their respective generations aligning.

But all the same, XVI could just be doing a lot more digital compared to XV and even VII Remake, so these Famitsu sales don't tell the whole story (they never do).

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't. Prince of Persia seems to be #1. FF XVI isn't on the first page.

EDIT: Never mind. It's there at #1, I had to select the right tab (they default to top-selling preorders seems like).

No, I'm just going off the Famitsu charts which only track physical. But Bloomberg Takahashi (ugh) had a tweet listing the debut & second-week sales for previous FF games. I'm assuming he was also using Famitsu and those were physical-only, though knowing him he could've purposefully misrepresented the numbers.

Anyway, both VII Remake and XV had at least 2x the debuts of XVI, so even if percentage-wise XVI's drop-off is in line with other FF games, it isn't as impressive when looking at the actual sales numbers. The comparison with XV is probably more damning for XVI at least in physical sales in Japan considering the time both games released in their respective generations aligning.

But all the same, XVI could just be doing a lot more digital compared to XV and even VII Remake, so these Famitsu sales don't tell the whole story (they never do).
We know more than half of FF16 sales were digital so do we have splits for the previous titles?