Japan Hardware and Software sales ( June 26 - July 2 )

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
On paper the FF XVI drop looks normal, it's in line with previous entries. But previous entries also did at least 2x the debut, and that includes FF XV. When FF XV launched, PS4 install base in Japan (and globally) was about the same as PS5's.

So I wouldn't say XVI's performance has been great in Japan, but the game does seem to have more appeal in Western markets. I'm expecting US to be the biggest market for XVI sales by far, for example. I also thought that maybe XVI would have a long-term effect on boosting PS5 hardware & software numbers in Japan but, that doesn't seem to be happening, either.

I think it's okay to say FF XVI and PS5 itself have done well in Japan, but they could definitely be doing better. I just don't know how much PS5 in its current form can actually do in Japan without some sort of (real) portable option, and Project Q ain't it.

Maybe a PS5 laptop-like portable? That should easily be doable engineering-wise. I don't think a high-ish price would necessarily be a barrier either.

Globally that means really good things, but this link you give is specifically for the US market. It's of no correlation to how the game is selling in Japan, sadly.

I'm expecting the US to be the #1 region for the game's sales by far, followed by UK & Europe.

The PS5 install base is definitely smaller In Japan launched aligned with PS4. A lot of PS5's didn't stay in Japan

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
We know more than half of FF16 sales were digital so do we have splits for the previous titles?
Given that both were pre-Covid there was definely a huge gap between then and now. Enough to fully close the margins? Probably not, but I think the game will have a longer tail (since consensus was that XV was a very flawed game) and more western sales. Since it skipped XV's decade of development hell its also certain to be more profitable, for those who care about that.

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Switch Sports is up there and I don't think that's portable. Are you sure it isn't "unless its Switch its not gonna last long" instead of "unless its portable its not gonna last long."

If you prefer you can say that go for that. 2DS/3DS games had longer lives in the charts than PS3/PS4/Wii/Wii U, so I tend to say portable games.

Most the games that have longer legs are portable in Japan. Outside of a few Square Enix games and NES Mario “most” the best selling games of all time in Japan are portable. Portables are preferred.

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
At the end of the day, FF16 sales are doing around or better than RE4 Remake and SF6 in the same time frame and its exclusive. So no need for concerns lol

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If you prefer you can say that go for that. 2DS/3DS games had longer lives in the charts than PS3/PS4/Wii/Wii U, so I tend to say portable games.

Most the games that have longer legs are portable in Japan. Outside of a few Square Enix games and NES Mario “most” the best selling games of all time in Japan are portable.
I would describe it as a very franchise based market, and its also sort of disingenuous to call them "Square-Enix" games since almost all were from when Square and Enix were different companies. Japan might be a great game-making nation but they are downright embarrassing as game buyers.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I would describe it as a very franchise based market, and its also sort of disingenuous to call them "Square-Enix" games since almost all were from when Square and Enix were different companies.

Tbh for Square Enix, I meant both separately and together. FF and Dragon Quests games.
FF7 and FF8 I think And I believe Dragon Quest 8 are the only ones in the top 10/20 Japan Chart of all time. DQ8 was published by Square Enix. But maybe it was Dragon Quest 6 Which was Enix. So Im not sure.
As they are the only non portable games on the top 10/20 list outside of Nes Mario.

Japan might be a great game-making nation but they are downright embarrassing as game buyers.

Agreed lol

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I do wonder if PS5 is still supply constrained there, wish we had someone with their boots on the ground there... someone like Genki would be really cool to have.

I am sure FFXVI will have super legs and sell good numbers for a few years.
Genki is a hardcore Nintendo fanboy and his Japanese isn’t that good, he regularly messes up translations which leads to him constantly spreading misinformation.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Tbh for Square Enix, I meant both separately and together. FF and Dragon Quests games.
FF7 and FF8 I think And I believe Dragon Quest 8 are the only ones in the top 10/20 Japan Chart of all time. DQ8 was published by Square Enix. But maybe it was Dragon Quest 6 Which was Enix. So Im not sure.
As they are the only non portable games on the top 10/20 list outside of Nes Mario.

Agreed lol
Was Wii Sports really not on it? I guess its really hard to chart with Pokemon clogging the list up so thoroughly.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
The PS5 install base is definitely smaller In Japan launched aligned with PS4. A lot of PS5's didn't stay in Japan

That's the theory, yes, but unless there is data (even circumstantial) to validate it, then it can only work as a theory.

An equally valid theory is that most of those PS5s are in Japan but users are buying digitally and/or subbing to PS+ for backlog access digitally instead. That would work just as well to explain sales results we see on Famitsu and MediaCreate.

Also from what I've heard, sites like Amazon Japan are not counted/tracked by Famitsu or MediaCreate, ,but I could be wrong on that.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Genki is a hardcore Nintendo fanboy and his Japanese isn’t that good, he regularly messes up translations which leads to him constantly spreading misinformation.
He's not even a real japanese? Why is it so hard to find any info from there. So many video games fans there with cellphones that speak english. Just make an account.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
He's not even a real japanese? Why is it so hard to find any info from there. So many video games fans there with cellphones that speak english. Just make an account.
He's half Japanese but he's from the UK.

Japan have their own forums, they don't really care about communicating with the West and I don't blame them.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Nope, take a look again. He's hardcore PlayStation fan, he posted more about PlayStation than Nintendo.
I don't know where you got hardcore PS fan from but I don't really care, regardless he's not a trustworthy source. He cares more about being the first to report something than it actually being accurate/truthful.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I have seen a lot of my friend on Instagram sharing they buying PS5 bundle, so this could be the first game driving them into buying PS5.

I would say do a pretty good job since home consoles hasn't done well in Japan since PS2

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's the theory, yes, but unless there is data (even circumstantial) to validate it, then it can only work as a theory.

An equally valid theory is that most of those PS5s are in Japan but users are buying digitally and/or subbing to PS+ for backlog access digitally instead. That would work just as well to explain sales results we see on Famitsu and MediaCreate.

Also from what I've heard, sites like Amazon Japan are not counted/tracked by Famitsu or MediaCreate, ,but I could be wrong on that.
For his theory be right more than 620k PS5 sent to Japan had to be sold outside Japan.

I mean the difference in usebase in Japan already put these theories in the trash.
And the difference is becoming bigger and bigger... soon it will be 1 million 🤷‍♂️

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

Call it a theory or whatever you want lol. PS5's were being scalped and exported outta Japan for quite some time. There's definitely not 3.8 million PS5's in Japan.

Red2Radio

13 Mar 2023
Germany
I'm just happy to see that Master Detective Archives: Rain Code placed no. 1 - even if it'll only be this week. Love Danganronpa and the special edition should arrive some time next week, can't wait to play it myself! I hope this will become its own series.