Japan Hardware and Software sales ( June 26 - July 2 )

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The PS5 scalping theory was something started by deranged nintendo bots on installbase with absolutely no evidence to back it up whatsoever. seeing people fall for that here is laughable.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Call it a theory or whatever you want lol. PS5's were being scalped and exported outta Japan for quite some time. There's definitely not 3.8 million PS5's in Japan.
yeah, it was theory for some time now. with xbox too.
because physical games sold on PS5 doesn't make sense with such PS5 sold numbers.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The PS5 scalping theory was something started by deranged nintendo bots on installbase with absolutely no evidence to back it up whatsoever. seeing people fall for that here is laughable.
Its better than the alternative.... that the PS5s stayed in Japan but are only being used for BC and indie trash/low effort app ports.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Or perhaps digital grow in Japan 🤷‍♂️
That partially explains it, since digital has grown everywhere, but it still seems like there's something else out there exerting gravitational pull on JP game sales. Still looking for Planet X.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
The scalping thing can be true if the market price in Japan is cheaper than other markets. I remember seeing a bunch of Korean PS5s got sold for like 30-35k before the Ukraine invasion so that hold true to some degree.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That partially explains it, since digital has grown everywhere, but it still seems like there's something else out there exerting gravitational pull on JP game sales. Still looking for Planet X.
I guess you guys are thinking too much… it Is been time already where releases on PS4 & PS5 sells better on PS5 at launch using Famitsu data 🤷‍♂️

Using the scalper theory PS4 should be crushing PS5 in game launch sales but that is not what is happening.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I forget to say.

~600k PS5s in Japan can’t run physical media.
So the actual userbase for Famitsu charts are ~3.3m PS5.

When you look at multiplatform releases…

14./11. [PS5] Street Fighter 6 <FTG> (Capcom) {2023.06.02} (¥7.990) - 4.765 / 41.850 <80-100%> (+38%)
16./13. [PS4] Street Fighter 6 <FTG> (Capcom) {2023.06.02} (¥7.990) - 4.298 / 29.682 <80-100%> (+40%)

PS5 is comfortable ahead PS5 and the lead should be ever bigger with the digital sales being way higher than it is for PS4.

The consoles being scalped to outside Japan is just made up narrative created on InstallBase without any base evidence.

I don’t believe these scalpers to outside Japan accounts for any significant numbers.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
yeah, it was theory for some time now. with xbox too.
because physical games sold on PS5 doesn't make sense with such PS5 sold numbers.
I don't know why some people are so against the fact not every PS5 stayed in Japan. Alot of Asian and Oceanic countries were not getting PS5 Stock for awhile

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't know why some people are so against the fact not every PS5 stayed in Japan. Alot of Asian and Oceanic countries were not getting PS5 Stock for awhile
It is not about being against or not… it is about being a fact.

There is no proof.

The normal is to be selling on Japan.
If you have no proof about it being exported the well it is not a FACT at all.

Made up claims are not facts.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
So common sense is a console shipped to Japan not to be sold in Japan?

Man 🤡
Don't try to twist my words it's not gonna work. I said not every PS5 sold in Japan stayed in the country lol. Did you know it was cheaper to buy a PS5 from Japan in places like South America than it was trying to get a PS5 during the shortage era? ... I'm sure you should know... And that's one example. As I know people who did that.

I had friends in Spain who imported their PS5 when Sony was only shipping 200 - 800 PS5 their weekly

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Don't try to twist my words it's not gonna work. I said not every PS5 sold in Japan stayed in the country lol. Did you know it was cheaper to buy a PS5 from Japan in places like South America than it was trying to get a PS5 during the shortage era? ... I'm sure you should know... And that's one example. As I know people who did that.

I had friends in Spain who imported their PS5 when Sony was only shipping 200 - 800 PS5 their weekly
I live in South America please show me that PS5 from Japan… I want to check it because I never saw one.

BTW doing some maths here if I import a PS5 from Japan I will probably pay more than what it is sold here.

That is a big shift from previous generations where imported gray market ruled over official… this time official is what is sold in all places and imported consoles were not a smart business anymore.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I live in South America please show me that PS5 from Japan… I want to check it because I never saw one.
Semantics 😂... Ok sir. Waste of my time here.

According to you every PS5 stayed in Japan, without offering a single ounce of proof yourself.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Semantics 😂... Ok sir. Waste of my time here.

According to you every PS5 stayed in Japan, without offering a single ounce of proof yourself.
No.

According with me the numbers of PS5 that got outside Japan is unimpressive… and yes most console are in Japan.

Unless you show some proof that a good amount of PS5 shipped to Japan is going outside that claim will be just fabricated bullshit.

You read these weird guys in InstallBase and start to believe them… because the software on Famitsu (that probably doesn’t cover even 50% of software nowdays) is lacking lol

You prefer to believe PS5 is being sent outside Japan than understand that Famitsu become very inaccurate with sales data in that digital age.

While Famitsu data is pretty good for what it is… it lacks a lot of the overall market… probably the big part of the market.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
No.

According with me the numbers of PS5 that got outside Japan is unimpressive… and yes most console are in Japan.

Unless you show some proof that a good amount of PS5 shipped to Japan is going outside that claim will be just fabricated bullshit.
I don't really care what you think on this matter. Not every PS5 sold in Japan stayed there and that's fact.