Japanese Games Thread - Official Thread

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

So this will be my second post and first thread. In this thread I want to discuss with you in general about Japanese games. Doesn't matter if JRPG or western-based game developed by Japanese studios, for example Metal Gear Solid. Any thoughts or new updates, I would be glad to share with you and you hopefully with us.^^

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Well, even though I'm not a big fan of JRPG's, then tend to have some unique magic to them.
You never know, sometimes your taste can change. Back then I never played anything besides Japanese Role Playing Games and Plattformer. In recent years now I found taste in Science Fiction genre too. Enjoyed Mass Effect and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. But yeah you're right, JRPG are really unique in their own way.^^

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
A few weeks ago Odin Sphere was on sale so I bought it and then I installed Muramasa on my Vita. Both these games are really magical and unique 🤩

I'm a little confused about Vanillaware tho. Atlus was the publisher but Sega owns Atlus? Does that mean Sega owns Vanillaware too? 🤔

There is also not much info about their next game after 13 Sentinels so I'm worried they don't have enough budget. The Switch port kind of flopped.

Anyway, these games would be great be on PS+ but Sega is closer to MS so I wouldn't be surprised if they are blocking it somehow. Might be the next ports after Persona 🤔

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
A few weeks ago Odin Sphere was on sale so I bought it and then I installed Muramasa on my Vita. Both these games are really magical and unique 🤩

I'm a little confused about Vanillaware tho. Atlus was the publisher but Sega owns Atlus? Does that mean Sega owns Vanillaware too? 🤔

There is also not much info about their next game after 13 Sentinels so I'm worried they don't have enough budget. The Switch port kind of flopped.

Anyway, these games would be great be on PS+ but Sega is closer to MS so I wouldn't be surprised if they are blocking it somehow. Might be the next ports after Persona 🤔
Luckily SEGA (Atlus) does not own Vanillaware. And as I know, all games they developed like Odin Sphere are owned by Vanillaware themselves. This would be one studio I would love to see under Sony. They belong to Playstation’s legacy and would be very sad to loose them. I have heard about it, the game does not that well on NSW. But that’s because the audience for Vanillaware games are on Playstation. I always tell the people, just because a gaming device is portable you can’t expect that they will explode in terms of selling numbers…

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Luckily SEGA (Atlus) does not own Vanillaware. And as I know, all games they developed like Odin Sphere are owned by Vanillaware themselves. This would be one studio I would love to see under Sony. They belong to Playstation’s legacy and would be very sad to loose them.
That's great that they are independent but at the same time, they are so niche, I don't think Sony even thinks about them at all 😬

They need to merge with Atlus and then Sony buys both from Sega before they sell the rest to MS 😁
But that’s because the audience for Vanillaware games are on Playstation. I always tell the people, just because a gaming device is portable you can’t expect that they will explode in terms of selling numbers…
Yeah, niche stuff sell better on PS and multiplatforms games don't always sell more than exclusives. Games get more hype and marketing when it's exclusive. Even Ubisoft is struggling to sell 20+millions of their games and they are on everything.

Also the Playstation PC ports like Days Gone and GOW barely sold 1 million after years of port-begging 🙄

Anyway, the GrimGrimoire remaster will be a test. It's coming out soon. We'll see if it's a big success for Vanillaware 😁

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Persona 5 is coming to Switch and also PS5 with ALL DLC included!! Hopefully that means we are getting a free or upgrade path if you own the original Royal. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for the Deluxe that I have to Ultimate on PS5 😁

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Any comments on Death End Re;quest series?

They are both on PS+, horror JRPG. Never heard of it before.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
One game I want from Japan is for Onimusha to come back. The original Genji was also as good as Onimusha.
I don't know why Capcom refuses to bring this series back to life.
They released a remaster of the original few years ago. I am not sure if it was successful enough to trigger their interest in making a new sequel.

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
One game I want from Japan is for Onimusha to come back. The original Genji was also as good as Onimusha.
I don't know why Capcom refuses to bring this series back to life.
They released a remaster of the original few years ago. I am not sure if it was successful enough to trigger their interest in making a new sequel.
Onimusha in the vein of GOT/Nioh on RE Engine
sweating key and peele GIF

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Onimusha did have a similar concept like the souls game have. You must collect the souls of the fallen demons. So a souls-like combat system, could not be really a problem to implement. Wo hope so!