Japans Studio’s alumni are MIA or putting out junk

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People are constantly going on and on and on about Sony closing Japan Studios, while knowing their output last generation was abysmal. Sony got blamed for it despite having to bring in people to finish the last Guardian after a half decade of development hell. It was so badly managed it skipped an entire console generation. For it to only be a moderate critical success and a commercial bomb.

Knack one and knack 2 were turned into memes. Gravity Rush games were just average to me, all style and very little actual abundance of fun. Sure these games had fun unique ideas, but just like a lot of Indie and double A games they hinged their entire game on them. A lot of the other aspects of the games were just half baked and/or not fun. People equate Japan studio to Nintendo but Nintendo doesn’t put out over a decade worth of consistent flops.

Since Gravity Rush 2 Toyama is just now putting out Slitterhead. Let’s face it if this was a sony game they would be getting dragged to hell and back. These are the kind of games japan studio super fans want though, bad playing UNIQUE ideas that no one will buy for full price, INCLUDING THEM.

Oh right, let’s see what Fumito Ueda is doing……..

…………………………..yep. 8 years since The Last Guardian and even longer since he left Japan Studio and his game is probably still a bunch of concept sketches somewhere.

So what would actually be carrying Japan Studio right now? That’s right Team Asobi. Who is putting out one of the best looking platformers this generation.

Seems like Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan know what they are talking about after all 🤷

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan are still idiots. Japan Studio couldn't deliver? I agree and it was time for a change. But the change isn't let's close it and fuck it. Should have been let's close it and make some acquisitions in Japan to replace it.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
What a dumb post, you accuse others of being toxic but then post crap like this, disparaging developers just because they don't make things you like.

Slitterhead isn't out yet and it looks a bit rough but it's made by a tiny studio with very limited resources 🤦‍♂️ what do you expect? Meanwhile, you hype up Concord which looks awful and had unlimited resources? Makes no sense.

People are constantly going on and on and on about Sony closing Japan Studios, while knowing their output last generation was abysmal
No, we don't know that, just because you didn't like their games doesn't mean their output was abysmal. They had decent output, especially since they were forced to be a support studio for much of the gen. And their resources were also split between PS4, PS Vita, and PSVR.....You tie their hands behind their back and then complain they didn't do more....??

And suddenly Gravity Rush is a mediocre game, engaging in revisionist history just to prop up worthless executives, silly and sad.....
Seems like Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan know what they are talking about after all 🤷
52848f23219ffa03480264e901e89ae2.jpg

Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan are still idiots. Japan Studio couldn't deliver? I agree and it was time for a change. But the change isn't let's close it and fuck it. Should have been let's close it and make some acquisitions in Japan to replace it.
A studio with a 30 year legacy and direct experience and access to legendary IP....lets shut them down and then proceed to buy a bunch of garbage studios that provide no value to us 🤡🤡🤡 absolute clown show.

Reactions: J_Paganel

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Consider his last 3 games were great Im willing to try it.
Same with the Team Gravity Director and LocoRoco, Patapon director etc etc

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
People are constantly going on and on and on about Sony closing Japan Studios, while knowing their output last generation was abysmal. Sony got blamed for it despite having to bring in people to finish the last Guardian after a half decade of development hell. It was so badly managed it skipped an entire console generation. For it to only be a moderate critical success and a commercial bomb.

Knack one and knack 2 were turned into memes. Gravity Rush games were just average to me, all style and very little actual abundance of fun. Sure these games had fun unique ideas, but just like a lot of Indie and double A games they hinged their entire game on them. A lot of the other aspects of the games were just half baked and/or not fun. People equate Japan studio to Nintendo but Nintendo doesn’t put out over a decade worth of consistent flops.

Since Gravity Rush 2 Toyama is just now putting out Slitterhead. Let’s face it if this was a sony game they would be getting dragged to hell and back. These are the kind of games japan studio super fans want though, bad playing UNIQUE ideas that no one will buy for full price, INCLUDING THEM.

Oh right, let’s see what Fumito Ueda is doing……..

…………………………..yep. 8 years since The Last Guardian and even longer since he left Japan Studio and his game is probably still a bunch of concept sketches somewhere.

So what would actually be carrying Japan Studio right now? That’s right Team Asobi. Who is putting out one of the best looking platformers this generation.

In addition to its internal development teams Japan Studio also had their external development team to publish and support Asian (back then all Japanese) 2nd party games like Bloodborne or the Demon's Souls remake.

That team got branched out to give them their own office, and since then published Death Stranding Director's Cut, Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin. Plus are working on -minimum- Lost Soul Aside, Convallaria, Death Stranding 2 and Physint.

When was Japan Studio ever any good though?
When they made gems like Parappa the Rapper, the Team Ico games, Puppeteer or Gravity Rush series or Astro Bot Rescue Mission. They released a lot of crap and average stuff, but also masterpieces.

Reactions: Remember_Spinal

peewee78368

Banned
3 Feb 2024
gtfo here thats bullshit there multiple reports SONY OFFERED THEM A BIG ASS BUDGET FOR A TITLE. they turned it down cuz they said we dont need a big budget... TO sony that said alright bet if u aint making stuff thats going to sell we will shut u down and they did they have themsleves to play no one else. also lets not act like slitterhead gonna be some gang buster hit hahahaha

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The Patapon people are doing a bootleg Patapon game. OP is incorrect.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Sony's and the industry's best studio is Polyphony Digital. Japanese devs but not apart of Japan Studio. You are factually wrong and sales back me up.
Oh if sales are everything then I guess Fifa and Call of Duty are some of the greatest games ever made
Sonys best studio was Japan Studios
The industry at large's best developer is Square Enix
Great games from Japan Studio:
  • Ape Escape
  • Ape Escape 2
  • Ape Escape 3
  • Legend of Dragoon
  • Okage: Shadow King
  • Dark Cloud
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Freedom Wars
  • White Knight Chronicles
  • Gravity Rush
  • Gravity Rush 2

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Any links to the multiple reports?
here

Focus of big budget titles conflicted with the studio and multiple teams have left like Team Ico leaving it barren. All that's left was Team Asobi, I don't get people acting like nothing came in place for it. And the collab part of the studio still lives on with XDev Japan.

Oh if sales are everything then I guess Fifa and Call of Duty are some of the greatest games ever made
Sonys best studio was Japan Studios
You do know Gran Turismo was initially part of Team Japan right? As Polys Entertainment. Before Kaz got his own studio after Gran Turismo.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
You do know Gran Turismo was initially part of Team Japan right? As Polys Entertainment. Before Kaz got his own studio after Gran Turismo.
No, but what are you trying to get at with that. At least for me personally, I don't play racing games. I primarily play jrpgs

peewee78368

Banned
3 Feb 2024
Any links to the multiple reports?
want more clown or u gonna take the L now

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
No, but what are you trying to get at with that. At least for me personally, I don't play racing games. I primarily play jrpgs
Well technically they started under them with Motor Toon before they ventured off since you called Japan the best one. Even if you dislike racers, it still remains Polyphony has the best selling PS franchise and was there from the humble beginnings. People don't consider them as a crown jewel studio status, but they are.

That said I find PS studios missing a J-RPG studio in it's roster but Team Japan was really not that, outside of Dark Cloud (Shuhei). The rest were collabs with MediaVision (Wild Arms) or Level-5 ( Dark Cloud, White Knight) and of the games you mentioned were from Team Siren and Team Ico they left. If Team Asobi retained the old name I don't think much of the folks would have these convo's honestly.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Well technically they started under them with Motor Toon before they ventured off since you called Japan the best one. Even if you dislike racers, it still remains Polyphony has the best selling PS franchise and was there from the humble beginnings. People don't consider them as a crown jewel studio status, but they are.

That said I find PS studios missing a J-RPG studio in it's roster but Team Japan was really not that, outside of Dark Cloud (Shuhei). The rest were collabs with MediaVision (Wild Arms) or Level-5 ( Dark Cloud, White Knight) and of the games you mentioned were from Team Siren and Team Ico they left. If Team Asobi retained the old name I don't think much of the folks would have these convo's honestly.

Exactly, and anyone here trying to act like they are excited for slitterhead are lying their asses off lol

Fumito Ueda is just running up the tab over at Epic at this point…i doubt that game ever see’s the light of day.

Reactions: CrackmanNL